2009-2010 Columbia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview Invite!! I felt compelled to spread the news that there is still some hope for those who applied later!

Submitted: 11/15 (@ deadline)
Completed: 1/7 (super late!!)
Interview Invite: 1/13 (less than a week later!)

Stats: 35 MCAT, 3.8 cGPA, URM

(This is my first post on SDN, though I have been cruising these med school threads for quite some time.)

Great news. what interview dates were available to you?

Members don't see this ad.

Interview Invite!! I felt compelled to spread the news that there is still some hope for those who applied later!

Submitted: 11/15 (@ deadline)
Completed: 1/7 (super late!!)
Interview Invite: 1/13 (less than a week later!)

Stats: 35 MCAT, 3.8 cGPA, URM

(This is my first post on SDN, though I have been cruising these med school threads for quite some time.)

Doesn't bode too well for me. Submitted 2 months before you and still nothing :\

Similar numbers too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great news. what interview dates were available to you?

The email said that an interview appointment had been scheduled for Feb. 3rd and asked whether I would be present for my appointment (that is, I was not asked about my availability). I emailed back requesting an interview sometime in the week before that, when I have another interview on the east coast. Hopefully they are accommodating. :xf:

The email said that an interview appointment had been scheduled for Feb. 3rd and asked whether I would be present for my appointment (that is, I was not asked about my availability). I emailed back requesting an interview sometime in the week before that, when I have another interview on the east coast. Hopefully they are accommodating. :xf:

They try to be, but its getting a bit crowded in the last month or so. We had 22 kids a couple days ago. Not astounding for some schools, but Columbia's norm is 5-10. Your chances of accommodation or definitely better if you don't want a popular day like Friday ;)

:confused: I also submitted my secondary on 11/15 (deadline), but I still haven't received a "complete" email yet. I sent some update emails following my application submission, and have not heard back from them at all. Should I be worried?

:confused: I also submitted my secondary on 11/15 (deadline), but I still haven't received a "complete" email yet. I sent some update emails following my application submission, and have not heard back from them at all. Should I be worried?

In my experience, I was complete in mid-October, only got a "complete" email in December...that too, within minutes of my sending a letter of interest/update. I think they are very backlogged...but don't take my word for it, that's just my guess.

at the risk of sounding like a jerk... probably. i would guess that not many interviews are left to be handed out, and most of us should probably be throwing in the mental towel right about now. alas. (FWIW, i really hope i'm proven wrong!)

anybody know if columbia responds to in-the-area emails, both if they want to interview you and if they dont? (vs simply ignoring or not responding if they don't want to interview you). if so, how long does it usually take? i'm deciding on plane tickets now and it's cheaper for the non-refundable ones, so if they do respond for sure one way or another i'll hold out for a few more days and if not, i'll suck it up and pay a little bit more for southwest's always returnable ones (for a the very slight chance, i know)

anybody know if columbia responds to in-the-area emails, both if they want to interview you and if they dont? (vs simply ignoring or not responding if they don't want to interview you). if so, how long does it usually take? i'm deciding on plane tickets now and it's cheaper for the non-refundable ones, so if they do respond for sure one way or another i'll hold out for a few more days and if not, i'll suck it up and pay a little bit more for southwest's always returnable ones (for a the very slight chance, i know)

You could always call, if only to see if the adcom is going to meet before your deadline. I think that they might meet on Fridays, but I don't know if that is every Friday or if I even recall correctly.

i've been complete since mid-dec but still haven't heard anything...i wonder if an interview invite is still possible.

You could always call, if only to see if the adcom is going to meet before your deadline. I think that they might meet on Fridays, but I don't know if that is every Friday or if I even recall correctly.

Hey. Quick question. I've decided to wait until after my Stanford interview in 2 weeks, but I really wanted to write the admissions office a letter of interest post-interview. I interviewed in late October, so it's been a very long while with no communication between me and the office, and I feel I need to change that. I felt uncomfortable sending a letter of interest until I had finished interviewing everywhere and really understood why I thought it was at the top of my list. Anyway, while at this point I think Columbia is my top choice (barring many reasons related to geography, curriculum, learning environment, people, etc.)...will the committee view my letter in a lesser light if it's a letter of interest rather than a letter of intent (i.e. I'd feel uncomfortable writing a Letter of Intent to accept at any school just because I think there are extraneous things....like financial aid...that may come into play in the decision). Any thoughts? Will it be OK if the letter goes out in early February or should I send it now?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey. Quick question. I've decided to wait until after my Stanford interview in 2 weeks, but I really wanted to write the admissions office a letter of interest post-interview. I interviewed in late October, so it's been a very long while with no communication between me and the office, and I feel I need to change that. I felt uncomfortable sending a letter of interest until I had finished interviewing everywhere and really understood why I thought it was at the top of my list. Anyway, while at this point I think Columbia is my top choice (barring many reasons related to geography, curriculum, learning environment, people, etc.)...will the committee view my letter in a lesser light if it's a letter of interest rather than a letter of intent (i.e. I'd feel uncomfortable writing a Letter of Intent to accept at any school just because I think there are extraneous things....like financial aid...that may come into play in the decision). Any thoughts? Will it be OK if the letter goes out in early February or should I send it now?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

It has been my impression that financial aid is an acceptable reason to pull back after a letter of intent, but that is entirely up to the person in question I suppose. I would also suggest that you can still tell Columbia that they are your top choice without formally committing to go there over all other offers. Will a letter of interest be held as being less valuable as a letter of intent, I would assume so. Will it affect you negatively, I see no reason for it. Plenty of people at Columbia get accepted without letter of interests. Above all, Columbia just wants a student body that is enthusiastic and happy to be here. Decisions are made in late February I believe, so just make sure it is in early February.

I am interviewing in early feb. I am so excited that I am interviewing here. However; I was wondering if I am at a disadvantage since I will be interviewing so late in the interview season? I really would like to go here. I haven't had many interviews and this is my first and only oos interview.:xf:

I am interviewing in early feb. I am so excited that I am interviewing here. However; I was wondering if I am at a disadvantage since I will be interviewing so late in the interview season? I really would like to go here. I haven't had many interviews and this is my first and only oos interview.:xf:
We have people in our class that interviewed on the last days. We have rolling interview offers, but the admissions is nonrolling. So, no there is no direct disadvantage to interviewing late except that you probably had a decreased chance of getting one (not a problem in this case obviously, congrats!)

It has been my impression that financial aid is an acceptable reason to pull back after a letter of intent, but that is entirely up to the person in question I suppose. I would also suggest that you can still tell Columbia that they are your top choice without formally committing to go there over all other offers. Will a letter of interest be held as being less valuable as a letter of intent, I would assume so. Will it affect you negatively, I see no reason for it. Plenty of people at Columbia get accepted without letter of interests. Above all, Columbia just wants a student body that is enthusiastic and happy to be here. Decisions are made in late February I believe, so just make sure it is in early February.

Should I email it....or send it in snail mail?

Should I email it....or send it in snail mail?

I prefer paper, if you are ambitious and have good handwriting you good even do it that way. In the end I don't think its going to make a significant difference except they are going to print it out anyways before its read so this way you can ensure the format and put your actual handwriting on it.

For those of you who have already interviewed, does the interview day really begin at 10:00?

For those of you who have already interviewed, does the interview day really begin at 10:00?

If your interview is in the morning, it starts when you interview. If your interview is in the afternoon, it starts at lunch. Definitely encourage you to come early, wander around, meet the students, go to classes. The P&S experience will sell itself.

If your interview is in the morning, it starts when you interview. If your interview is in the afternoon, it starts at lunch. Definitely encourage you to come early, wander around, meet the students, go to classes. The P&S experience will sell itself.

mmmcdowe - since you are omnipresent and omniscient - do you know when the last interview offer goes out, or could you let us know when that occurs?

also, is there any last recourse pre-interview besides an impassioned update letter? i know once waitlisted you can request additional interviews, ask to talk to the dean personally, etc. - is there anything like that pre-interview?

How early would you recommend if you have a morning interview?

you're killing me. i want an interview here SO badly!

To anyone who applied for the Bassett program but did not get an interview with them: did you subsequently get an invite to Columbia NYC?

I think I made a tactical mistake by applying to Bassett - feel like my app fell into a black hole.

Not holding my breath on this one. I just wish I had done a straight Columbia app, not bothering with the Bassett deal.

mmmcdowe - since you are omnipresent and omniscient - do you know when the last interview offer goes out, or could you let us know when that occurs?

also, is there any last recourse pre-interview besides an impassioned update letter? i know once waitlisted you can request additional interviews, ask to talk to the dean personally, etc. - is there anything like that pre-interview?

I will post it if I can, but honestly I probably won't know the date until near the very end anyways, just because as far as I know the exact end of interviews has not been 100% set. You could always write and say that you would love to talk to the Dean about coming to Columbia, I suppose, but I've never heard of them calling up a pre-interview applicant for a pre-interview to decide if they wanted to interview you or not. I think they'd just interview you :laugh:. Just write and update your application if you have any other news, or just straight up write a love letter. It won't hurt.

How early would you recommend if you have a morning interview?

It depends on what you like. First class is at 9:00, so coming before then unless you have an interview isn't likely to get you a lot of contact with the 1st or 2nd years. If you want to wander around, check out some posters, or whatever you could certainly come earlier. I'd recommend leaving early enough that you have no doubt on arriving at least 30 minutes before your interview, especially if you aren't familiar with Manhattan. I think an hour to orient yourself would be nice, but then again if you have a 9:00 or 10:00AM interview you are going to have plenty of time until lunch to mingle as well so maybe just make sure you are well rested. I personally showed up a good hour and a half before my interview, but that was more because I didn't know how long it was going to take me from queens (I had interviewed at NYU the day before and had been almost late). Chilled in the computer lounge for about 30 minutes reading up on my interviewer and P&S (and checking facebook...), wandered a few hallways up on the 11th floor looking at posters, and chatted with students the rest of that time. That was more than enough time for me to decide Columbia was for me.

To anyone who applied for the Bassett program but did not get an interview with them: did you subsequently get an invite to Columbia NYC?

I think I made a tactical mistake by applying to Bassett - feel like my app fell into a black hole.

Not holding my breath on this one. I just wish I had done a straight Columbia app, not bothering with the Bassett deal.

If I recall correctly being denied an interview at Bassett gets you bumped back into the larger pool of applicants to be considered for Columbia interviews. I personally can't say that I know anyone that was rejected from Bassett but still interviewed at Columbia, but then again it really isn't something that comes up in conversation. I will double check if I think about it.

HERE!!! I havent heard back from either one. Complete 8/28/09. Seriously feeling like I got lost in the piles somewhere. :(

HERE!!! I havent heard back from either one. Complete 8/28/09. Seriously feeling like I got lost in the piles somewhere. :(

I don't know if I was officially denied an interview at Bassett, but I assume so. I applied, and then recently received an invitation to interview at Columbia, sans any Bassett invite. So, buttons, I guess. I do rather feel like my application was at the bottom of some cold, dark place for a while, as I had heard at least 'boo' from every other school to which I'd applied well before the close of the decade. :shrug: But, maybe others have a different experience.

I feel the same exact way. What a shame.

Interview invite!
Complete 12/16

Canadian

1) Being denied an interview at Bassett puts you back into the applicant pool for an interview from Columbia. The only thing is that you won't be considered for MD only until after the Bassett decision, which takes a little bit, but I really don't think a couple weeks is going to hurt your chances

2) Columbia hasn't finished reviewing applications and is still offering invites. A date has not been set because of this, but they are hoping to finish around the 23rd of February.

3) There is approximately one more Bassett day left for interviewing (or at least one left that is still offering interview spots), possibly two depending on the outcome of #2. I do not know what day it is, though I assume it is a Friday.

1) Being denied an interview at Bassett puts you back into the applicant pool for an interview from Columbia. The only thing is that you won't be considered for MD only until after the Bassett decision, which takes a little bit, but I really don't think a couple weeks is going to hurt your chances

2) Columbia hasn't finished reviewing applications and is still offering invites. A date has not been set because of this, but they are hoping to finish around the 23rd of February.

3) There is approximately one more Bassett day left for interviewing (or at least one left that is still offering interview spots), possibly two depending on the outcome of #2. I do not know what day it is, though I assume it is a Friday.

Just to clarify, I meant the bassett decision not to interview, not the bassett decision process in general (which is still ongoing).

Hey! I'm also Canadian but I am still waiting to hear from Columbia. I was complete 12/11...is it possible I was skipped over? Do they go through apps chronologically by complete date?

Thanks in advance.

Interview invite!
Complete 12/16

Canadian

got an interview invite yesterday too. :D

complete 12/11

available dates were 2/1-2/23 Mon-Friday.

Last edited:
interview invite today. no choice of dates-- i'll be there next monday, 2/1. woot!

does columbia send out invites via snail mail? if so, are there also updates on the online app page?

congrats dw. you're tearing apart this cycle. Good luck!

aw, thanks :oops:

i guess my over-the-top, sappy love letter to them worked :laugh:

also (not trying to sound conceited) i feel like this interview invite really sealed the cycle for me. now i will have interviewed at all the schools i wanted to. let's just hope i get some post-interview love :xf::xf:

i guess my over-the-top, sappy love letter to them worked :laugh:

also (not trying to sound conceited) i feel like this interview invite really sealed the cycle for me. now i will have interviewed at all the schools i wanted to. let's just hope i get some post-interview love :xf::xf:

dw, when did you send your love letter? I'm still praying for a response to my email/snail mail pleading sent right after new year's. perhaps they just finished the 12/15 submissions and are going back through the old pile now.

dw, when did you send your love letter? I'm still praying for a response to my email/snail mail pleading sent right after new year's. perhaps they just finished the 12/15 submissions and are going back through the old pile now.

was this just a pre-interview letter of interest? or an actual update?

I'm happy for you :)

i hope to meet you; you seem like a pretty cool cat :thumbup:

i sent it a week and a half or two weeks ago, i think.

was this just a pre-interview letter of interest? or an actual update?

both? personally i don't understand sending a letter that states your interest without giving them something substantive about you and your activities. i also don't understand sending them an update letter if it's not going to convey your interest in the school. this is something that has always perplexed me while reading SDN :laugh:

both? personally i don't understand sending a letter that states your interest without giving them something substantive about you and your activities. i also don't understand sending them an update letter if it's not going to convey your interest in the school. this is something that has always perplexed me while reading SDN :laugh:

Very true. Columbia is one of my top choices and I would def send a letter if it would help even in the slightest. problem is, I don't really have any updates, so I figured it would look a bit hokey/desperate to send an "I <3 you" letter to them. I guess I'll just leave this one up to the admissions gods...

Very true. Columbia is one of my top choices and I would def send a letter if it would help even in the slightest. problem is, I don't really have any updates, so I figured it would look a bit hokey/desperate to send an "I <3 you" letter to them. I guess I'll just leave this one up to the admissions gods...

Even little updates might warrant a letter. I submitted a paper (it hasn't been accepted), presented at a few conferences, and started some fun (but low committment) volunteer work. I'm actually drafting update letters to all of my top choices right now to update them on these things and add in my spiel about why I really would love to go there. It can't hurt to show a little interest when they're making decisions over the next month or so (interview season is almost done essentially...it's committee time!).

Just out curiousity...how does the admissions process at Columbia work? Considering they interview til end of February but send decisions March 1st...I can't imagine they have a big committee meeting right after interviews are done (there just isn't enough time). Is it possible some acceptance/waitlist/rejection decisions have already been made but not communicated?

Even little updates might warrant a letter. I submitted a paper (it hasn't been accepted), presented at a few conferences, and started some fun (but low committment) volunteer work. I'm actually drafting update letters to all of my top choices right now to update them on these things and add in my spiel about why I really would love to go there. It can't hurt to show a little interest when they're making decisions over the next month or so (interview season is almost done essentially...it's committee time!).

Just out curiousity...how does the admissions process at Columbia work? Considering they interview til end of February but send decisions March 1st...I can't imagine they have a big committee meeting right after interviews are done (there just isn't enough time). Is it possible some acceptance/waitlist/rejection decisions have already been made but not communicated?

The adcom meets quite frequently. Heck, I just saw one prominent member of the adcom working all of yesterday (Sunday) in the office. Decisions are made after all interviews are complete, but that isn't to say that they aren't talking about interviewees at these meetings (I don't know personally) and don't have a pretty good idea who they intend to accept. The adcom has the advantage of only needing to find as many acceptance as they have spots available (they could also send out more than that number, I don't know, but that's the minimal objective at least in order to abide by the rules of the application process). So even if all they do is mark a 300 applicants that really stood out pre-interview in order to see what the interviewer thought they could probably get a solid 150 out of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.