2009-2010 Columbia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To current/past Columbia students:

It is becoming increasingly evident that a number of top schools offer substantial merit-based financial aid. I loved my day at Columbia, but I almost had a heart attack when I saw the overall cost of attendance (including living in the city, etc). Has it been/was it worth the money for Columbia? And are there secret sources of grants, etc that we don't know about to make paying for the school easier? Any insights would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

what is the point of sending grade updates? should this only be if you'd done better than you did in the past?

does anyone know if columbia sends out "likely letters" like some colleges do? i got a letter that says, "decisions won't be made until march, but we're going to keep you strongly in mind." i haven't gotten anything like that from other places, so i'm wondering if anyone else got something similar and how to interpret it (i.e. early xmas??).

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if columbia sends out "likely letters" like some colleges do? i got a letter that says, "decisions won't be made until march, but we're going to keep you strongly in mind." i haven't gotten anything like that from other places, so i'm wondering if anyone else got something similar and how to interpret it (i.e. early xmas??).

sounds to me like a deferral (kind of like what penn is doing). I have no clue though.

To current/past Columbia students:

It is becoming increasingly evident that a number of top schools offer substantial merit-based financial aid. I loved my day at Columbia, but I almost had a heart attack when I saw the overall cost of attendance (including living in the city, etc). Has it been/was it worth the money for Columbia? And are there secret sources of grants, etc that we don't know about to make paying for the school easier? Any insights would be appreciated!

I have found it totally worth it. There are some merit and need based scholarships that you can apply for upon acceptance. There are also so national ones, like a NIH one that is more of a "loan reduction program" than a scholarship though.

what is the point of sending grade updates? should this only be if you'd done better than you did in the past?

To get an excuse to write them about how much you love Columbia.

sounds to me like a deferral (kind of like what penn is doing). I have no clue though.

I have never heard of Columbia sending likely letters, or any school for that matter (the closest thing I know of would be rolling admission). It's just a standard catchphrase of Dean Frantz's, probably due to you sending in a thank you or update. A number of applicants have mentioned getting that phrase in this thread, as did lots of people in past cycles. It is not a guarantee of an outcome.

yeah, it was in response to a thank you note; i just haven't ever gotten a response of any kind after sending in a thank you, so i was caught off guard. thanks for the info.!

I have found it totally worth it. There are some merit and need based scholarships that you can apply for upon acceptance. There are also so national ones, like a NIH one that is more of a "loan reduction program" than a scholarship though.

To get an excuse to write them about how much you love Columbia.

I have never heard of Columbia sending likely letters, or any school for that matter (the closest thing I know of would be rolling admission). It's just a standard catchphrase of Dean Frantz's, probably due to you sending in a thank you or update. A number of applicants have mentioned getting that phrase in this thread, as did lots of people in past cycles. It is not a guarantee of an outcome.

Starting jan they will be only interviewing on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

Does anyone have any idea on when the admission committee meet to review those who have interviewed.

I don't know where you heard this.... Maybe those were just the days that they offered you, or are you MD/PhD or Bassett? I asked about this because I give Friday tours usually, and they told me that they are still interviewing Monday through Friday after December.

I don't know where you heard this.... Maybe those were just the days that they offered you, or are you MD/PhD or Bassett? I asked about this because I give Friday tours usually, and they told me that they are still interviewing Monday through Friday after December.
I got this from the email invite.

I am pleased to inform you that our Committee on Admissions has requested an interview with you in connection with your application to P&S. Please email dates for you to interview and I will try to set up an appointment that will be convenient for you. I can be reached by sending email to XXXX@columbia.edu. We are now scheduling interviews in Jan and Feb 2010 on Mon Wed and Thursdays.

I applied for the regular Md program. Maybe all the Tuesday and Friday dates are already taken.

I got the thank you note from Dean Frantz as well, rather than my interviewer.

The excitement my parents displayed while waiting for me to open it was priceless, even though I knew what it was.

Withdrew. Had interview invite for the Bassett/Columbia program for January. Good luck to everyone here!

I'm thinking about sending admiss an email query asking about the status of my app. My app was complete at the beginning of September, but I haven't heard anything since then. If I haven't gotten an interview invite, should I not expect to receive one in the future? What are your thoughts about an email asking for an update? Thanks!

I'm thinking about sending admiss an email query asking about the status of my app. My app was complete at the beginning of September, but I haven't heard anything since then. If I haven't gotten an interview invite, should I not expect to receive one in the future? What are your thoughts about an email asking for an update? Thanks!

hm, I'm in sort of the same situation. I'm just wondering if Columbia has a history of losing apps (since they do it all by paper) or if anyone on here has had the unfortunate experience of checking up on their app and learning that it was lost...

Members don't see this ad :)
hm, I'm in sort of the same situation. I'm just wondering if Columbia has a history of losing apps (since they do it all by paper) or if anyone on here has had the unfortunate experience of checking up on their app and learning that it was lost...

I thought for sure they lost my app (sent everything in octoberish and got the complete a few weeks ago) but nope... i think they're just really slow with the process.

Someone on mdapps reports getting accepted to the Columbia Bassett program. Are they accepting people now?

I haven't heard that they had started accepting, but the Bassett program is going to have earlier than normal acceptances. I will ask when I get back in January if you like.

Thanx for the offer. I received a PM indicating that The Bassett Program has indeed started accepting people. Good luck to all.

Thanx for the offer. I received a PM indicating that The Bassett Program has indeed started accepting people. Good luck to all.

Whoa.. Yikes. With only 10-14 spots, I hope they aren't just interviewing for the waitlist now. My interview's in January.

Unless my UVA interview changes my mind, I will probably be sending a letter of intent to Columbia-Bassett. Hopefully that will help a bit.

Does anyone know about student hosting at Columbia and when the students come back from winter break? I have an interview in January...

Does anyone know about student hosting at Columbia and when the students come back from winter break? I have an interview in January...

Email the admissions office and they will send you a list. Students come back on the 4th.

Okay, seriously. Whyyyy has only ONE person given interview feedback? :mad:
Could some of you PLEASE share your feedback--it's anonymous! And we're all in this together! =)

Has anybody had any luck with in the area emails? I don't know if my wallet could stomach two plane tickets to NYC.

Just a friendly reminder. T minus 2 months exactly until admissions decisions are sent out.

Are interview invites over?

Nope. Always check the threads from last year (just google 2008-2009 columbia....or any other medical school name and it's usually the first result). Looks like Columbia interviews through mid-February and extends invites through early February judging from last year's thread. Sometimes they didn't come with an email...but rather snail mail alone.

Has anybody had any luck with in the area emails? I don't know if my wallet could stomach two plane tickets to NYC.

Yes, they are receptive. If you have another interview in the NYC area, they will expedite your review.

Okay, seriously. Whyyyy has only ONE person given interview feedback? :mad:
Could some of you PLEASE share your feedback--it's anonymous! And we're all in this together! =)

It's because of that SDN fear of punishment by adcoms. Darn non-rolling admissions! If you are holding off until after decisions are sent, I'd ask that you at least write it all down while it is still fresh, just because I know that things tend to get fuzzy after months of interviewing and waiting around.

Complete as of 12/11!..finally after months of being in limbo

When did you submit your secondary application? I submitted mine on 10/19 and still haven't gotten the "complete" email. Is it any helpful to call the admissions office?

I submitted on 10/10. I would recommend calling just to make sure nothing is up. But most likely you will have to play the waiting game.

Quick and to the point:

post-interview update letter: when to send? end of jan? mid-feb?
(I interviewed Nov)

how to send--snail mail or email?

(or even one at all?)

Interview Invite! What great news after being waitlisted at Tufts yesterday. I submitted secondary in september and received my complete email in november, so it looks like it's too early for those waiting to give up hope!

Interview invite as well - complete sometime early October! Definitely do not give up on the slow process...

Complete 11/17, interview offer today.

Anyone know how many people they interview? I know they offer around 250 for their 130 odd spots, but I don't know how many interviews are conducted.

Thanks!

mpa

Complete 11/17, interview offer today.

Anyone know how many people they interview? I know they offer around 250 for their 130 odd spots, but I don't know how many interviews are conducted.

Thanks!

mpa

http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/dept/ps/admissions/index.html

CLASS OF 2013 STATS
APPLIED
INTERVIEWED
ACCEPTED
ENROLLED
Male
81​
Female
73​
Minority Group Members
27​
Total
154​

Average MCAT: 35.8
Average GPA: 3.79

http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/dept/ps/admissions/index.html

CLASS OF 2013 STATS
APPLIED
INTERVIEWED
ACCEPTED
ENROLLED
Male
81​
Female
73​
Minority Group Members
27​
Total
154​

Average MCAT: 35.8
Average GPA: 3.79
Thanks!! Nice to know these stats. My MCAT and GPA are a little above the average for this school, so I probably wont stand out numerically. But it is nice to see that they accept nearly 50 percent of the minority group members who interviewed there. Hopefully, I will fall the 50 percent that get accepted :xf:

So, complete since October.. no interview invite. Means.... No chance. Right?

Nope, I was complete October 6th and JUST heard yesterday. I think they go in waves, b/c people complete the same day as me heard 3 days later (okay, they were probably more qualified, but whatever). Either way, never lose hope!

:D Thanks!!! Congrats to you for hearing that is AMAZING! Hope you have a good interview experience!! :xf:

Does Columbia take update letters in email format (pre interview invite). If so, which email do we send it to??

Does Columbia take update letters in email format (pre interview invite). If so, which email do we send it to??

i would address it to the admissions committee. but i don't know... i feel like it's getting a little late to send pre-interview letters. am i wrong about that?

Hooray, just got an interview invite but no suggestion of what dates to attend. I was complete in September so its been a long time coming.

I want to send Columbia an update letter, and I am 1st author on a paper that was just submitted for publication...can I include this? Or does it have little merit since it has not been accepted yet? Thanks and good luck to everyone!! =)

I want to send Columbia an update letter, and I am 1st author on a paper that was just submitted for publication...can I include this? Or does it have little merit since it has not been accepted yet? Thanks and good luck to everyone!! =)

It's a good excuse to send an update. I wouldn't include the actual article unless you are sure that it is ok to do so when it is in the process of being submitted (I assume it is, since this isn't commercial, but I'd hate for you to get in trouble).

Interview Invite!! I felt compelled to spread the news that there is still some hope for those who applied later!

Submitted: 11/15 (@ deadline)
Completed: 1/7 (super late!!)
Interview Invite: 1/13 (less than a week later!)

Stats: 35 MCAT, 3.8 cGPA, URM

(This is my first post on SDN, though I have been cruising these med school threads for quite some time.)

I just did, as a 2nd author on a recently submitted paper. Can't hurt! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.