2009-2010 Columbia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many people have gotten in off the WL so far? Seems from this thread about 5, I would guess there's at least that many or more others that aren't posting here. So 10, 15 what's your guess and is it over now?

Members don't see this ad.

Still WL but if I get an offer :xf: ..are first years guaranteed a room at Bard? Otherwise how hard is it to find a roommate or housing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, are all the rooms singles in Bard? Are they furnished? Do most 1st years live in Bard?

Just curious, are all the rooms singles in Bard? Are they furnished? Do most 1st years live in Bard?

Yes and yes. I'd say maybe 85% lived in Bard the first semester and 70% the second semester. Some people mpved pout once they found roomies that they liked.

For current students: Will we have the opportunity to (or perhaps be required to) install free (or cheap) Antivirus software on our computers in order to connect to the Columbia network? I'm asking for selfish reasons -- wanted to know if I truly need to renew my McAfee membership this summer.

For current students: Will we have the opportunity to (or perhaps be required to) install free (or cheap) Antivirus software on our computers in order to connect to the Columbia network? I'm asking for selfish reasons -- wanted to know if I truly need to renew my McAfee membership this summer.

Yes. If you plug into the DSL connection in your room (there is wireless as well), it will require you to download their software for antivirus protection. I can't remember what it is or how good it is though.

Yes. If you plug into the DSL connection in your room (there is wireless as well), it will require you to download their software for antivirus protection. I can't remember what it is or how good it is though.

Along those lines, how's wireless on campus?

Yes and yes. I'd say maybe 85% lived in Bard the first semester and 70% the second semester. Some people mpved pout once they found roomies that they liked.

You are an unbelievable resource for Columbia hopefuls. Thanks again!!!

Along those lines, how's wireless on campus?

It's available in most places. Presbyterian can get a little iffy but there are cables or ports everywhere in those few areas, which are slowly being eradicated by more wireless devices being installed. Bard and the newer hospitals have good connections. I've never had a problem in Milstein but Bard Hall has gone down for an hour or two a few times since I moved in in August. Basically, the older the building the thicker the stone/infrastructure/pipes and thus the more difficult the wireless is. I never use anything but the wireless except that rare occasion, and I can even get it from around the hospital as well as in it (like my favorite coffee shop across the street).

I should add the caveat that I have a monster PC laptop that weighs as much as some desktops so I can't speak for those with less powerful wireless support.

I should add the caveat that I have a monster PC laptop that weighs as much as some desktops so I can't speak for those with less powerful wireless support.

:eek: how do you lug that thing around???

Also, other than letters of intent/update, is there anything else we could do to show that we are interested (short of tattooing columbia on my forehead)? I seem to be getting no responses. :(

:eek: how do you lug that thing around???

Also, other than letters of intent/update, is there anything else we could do to show that we are interested (short of tattooing columbia on my forehead)? I seem to be getting no responses. :(

haven't heard a peep from here since april...guess its time to throw in the towel :(

Members don't see this ad :)
any current columbians,

I am taking my dad on a tour of the campus - he wants to see where I will spend the next four years of my life...

I dont really remember my way around over there, also I do not have an access card as I am not yet an M1. do you have any suggestions on buildings to visit on-campus and/or local restaurants/sites to see.

People were still getting accepted according to this thread on Friday... no positive word at all this week... is the WL movement over or is this just a lull and there's still more movement ahead :xf:?

any current columbians,

I am taking my dad on a tour of the campus - he wants to see where I will spend the next four years of my life...

I dont really remember my way around over there, also I do not have an access card as I am not yet an M1. do you have any suggestions on buildings to visit on-campus and/or local restaurants/sites to see.

PM if you want. I'd be happy to let you guys in or give you a tour. I'm giving one tomorrow actually if you are around, just call the admissions office about it if you want that one because it is a formal tour. Otherwise just PM me.

If you want a taste of Dominican cuisine I'd recommend El Malecon. It's about 10 blocks north of campus on Broadway.

As for waitlist movement, I'll see what I can find out tomorrow.

The waitlist lives. They are being completely serious about slow movement. There are a number of seats still up in the air depending on the final decisions of a number of people. No specifics in terms of how many.

Thanks mmmcdowe. Always appreciate your posts - even if it makes me EVEN MORE anxious to hear back. :laugh:

The waitlist lives. They are being completely serious about slow movement. There are a number of seats still up in the air depending on the final decisions of a number of people. No specifics in terms of how many.

Wonder if the WL now has the added caveat of gender... I'm sure they're trying to keep it close to 50/50... so a top F maybe passed over for a M to keep the stats... adding to anxiety and frustration in my head:confused:

So from whats been presented in this thread to date the last confirmed WLer offered an acceptance was last Friday..... nothing this week at all has been posted.......even though mmmcdowe has alluded that he believes there will be more movement momentarily....hope he/she is right:D

Wonder if the WL now has the added caveat of gender... I'm sure they're trying to keep it close to 50/50... so a top F maybe passed over for a M to keep the stats... adding to anxiety and frustration in my head:confused:

I doubt it.

Anyone know if move-in really is on Aug. 16th? :confused: That has to be a typo, right?

... man, i already bought my plane ticket for the 22nd, it's gonna suck if I get there a week after everyone else.

Anyone know if move-in really is on Aug. 16th? :confused: That has to be a typo, right?

... man, i already bought my plane ticket for the 22nd, it's gonna suck if I get there a week after everyone else.

I'm not getting there until that weekend either, so I can at least promise you won't be alone in that.

That sounds excessively early. Maybe they just mean that you can move in as early as that? Even then that doesn't sound right because for us we could only move in a couple days before orientation tops.

Where are you guys finding this move-in date, btw? I haven't gotten any new emails since the academic calendar one last week. Is this from the facebook group?

Where are you guys finding this move-in date, btw? I haven't gotten any new emails since the academic calendar one last week. Is this from the facebook group?

I think some people got room assignments already and there was info about meal plans, move in, and the like.

I still haven't gotten my room assignment yet. Looks like we might be in the same boat...

i'm moving in on the 13th, but i'm in couples housing :smuggrin:

mmmcdowe, do you think the WL is done?

Sad to report an e-mail went out today to the faculty and staff of the Columbia University Medical Center. Dr Andrew Frantz had passed away (1930-2010). According to the e-mail from Dr Landry, Chairman of Medicine at Columbia, Dr Frantz had been the longest serving Dean of Admissions from 1981-2010 "Dr. Frantz devoted his life to the College of Physicians & Surgeons. Beloved by the students of P&S, he will be missed by all of us."

Sad to report an e-mail went out today to the faculty and staff of the Columbia University Medical Center. Dr Andrew Frantz had passed away (1930-2010). According to the e-mail from Dr Landry, Chairman of Medicine at Columbia, Dr Frantz had been the longest serving Dean of Admissions from 1981-2010 "Dr. Frantz devoted his life to the College of Physicians & Surgeons. Beloved by the students of P&S, he will be missed by all of us."

rest in peace...i forgive him for not reading my LOIs :(

Dr. Frantz was an amazing man, the only person to truly personify the full meaning of being a Columbia trained doctor. I wasn't planning on mentioning it, but since he came up I might as well. This was a man who was cited 10,000 in research, an english major with the astounding ability to remember quotes and even entire plays with ease. He was an artist, a musician, and a philosopher. I regret not having more time with him personally, but I even more regret the fact that future generations of Columbians won't be touched by him.

On a more positive note, waitlist still lives.

sad news about Dean Frantz.. :(

another "under active consideration" email from Dean Nicholas, though.

Random question for anyone who knows (i'm jonesing for any info on what next year will be like, i guess): Is the first semester way easier than the second semester (of M1)?

Looking at the curriculum next year, it seems like pathology, micro, immuno, physiology, and pharm for every organ system are covered in M1 2nd semester and M2 1st semester. kind of makes me wonder if I'm gonna get into a study groove this fall and feel all confident only to hit 2nd semester like a brick wall. (or maybe i'm just underestimating how hard the molec. mech. class will be...?)

Hello,
I am about to be a junior in Saint Peter's College. I am a bio major and I really want to get into AECOM. I have above a 3.5 GPA but my chem grades weren't too great so I plan on retaking them over this coming year. I'm registered for course overload and I have A's and some B's. All of my sciences are A's except chem. I also served as a Bio tutor and lab assistant last year and I am currently doing an internship @ a local hospital. I am also planning on taking part in a research assistant program at my school where I will create a research project under thh supervision of a faculty member. I am in the Honor's Program at my school as well and I plan on presenting my research project during my senior year as required. I was recently inducted into Tribeta as well and I am on the executive board for two cultural clubs . I plan on taking my MCAT in the June 2011 and I also plan on keeping my GPA high. I'm also aiming to win the Chem award at my school if I can get good enough grades in chem.
I know I am talking a lot but I desperately want to get into AECOM. It has been my dream, aside from attending Columbia. I am a NY resident. So, can anyone please give me some advice on how to get into my dream school. And please don't give me anything too vague like maintain a good GPA and a good MCAT. I would appreciate some guidance please. Thank you.

Hello,
I am about to be a junior in Saint Peter's College. I am a bio major and I really want to get into AECOM. I have above a 3.5 GPA but my chem grades weren't too great so I plan on retaking them over this coming year. I'm registered for course overload and I have A's and some B's. All of my sciences are A's except chem. I also served as a Bio tutor and lab assistant last year and I am currently doing an internship @ a local hospital. I am also planning on taking part in a research assistant program at my school where I will create a research project under thh supervision of a faculty member. I am in the Honor's Program at my school as well and I plan on presenting my research project during my senior year as required. I was recently inducted into Tribeta as well and I am on the executive board for two cultural clubs . I plan on taking my MCAT in the June 2011 and I also plan on keeping my GPA high. I'm also aiming to win the Chem award at my school if I can get good enough grades in chem.
I know I am talking a lot but I desperately want to get into AECOM. It has been my dream, aside from attending Columbia. I am a NY resident. So, can anyone please give me some advice on how to get into my dream school. And please don't give me anything too vague like maintain a good GPA and a good MCAT. I would appreciate some guidance please. Thank you.

Average GPA at Columbia is 3.8 with a 36 MCAT even with that unless you've done something outstanding it's a no go unless you're a URM or a gold medalist

Hello,
you should email columbia this very post. they'll help you out

Random question for anyone who knows (i'm jonesing for any info on what next year will be like, i guess): Is the first semester way easier than the second semester (of M1)?

Looking at the curriculum next year, it seems like pathology, micro, immuno, physiology, and pharm for every organ system are covered in M1 2nd semester and M2 1st semester. kind of makes me wonder if I'm gonna get into a study groove this fall and feel all confident only to hit 2nd semester like a brick wall. (or maybe i'm just underestimating how hard the molec. mech. class will be...?)

Both semesters have their easier and harder parts. I felt like they were about the same (taking embro, path, pharm, and anatomy all at once was probably as or more rough than anything in second semester), but I think most people would agree that the 2nd semester is a bit harder mostly because I feel like a lot of folks were more engaged once we hit systems. If you survived first semester you will survive 2nd.

Hello,

I would suggest posting this in the what are my chances forum. If you want to get into Columbia, I suggest outside interests. AECOM I don't know anything about.

Wondered what shows people were thinking of going to or if they were going at all during orientation wk?

Wondered what shows people were thinking of going to or if they were going at all during orientation wk?

I personally want to go to next to normal, but I really recommend In the Heights as well. You are going to be spending time there after all :D

Both semesters have their easier and harder parts. I felt like they were about the same (taking embro, path, pharm, and anatomy all at once was probably as or more rough than anything in second semester), but I think most people would agree that the 2nd semester is a bit harder mostly because I feel like a lot of folks were more engaged once we hit systems. If you survived first semester you will survive 2nd.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. :thumbup: Sounds pretty cool, can't wait to get there.

Got another question if you don't mind. Is the drug-class-memorizing part of pharm covered in 1st semester or 2nd? (I had assumed it'd be 2nd semester, and the 3 weeks of pharm in 1st semester would just be pharmokinetics, but now I'm realizing i may be seriously underestimating how much content med schools can cram into 3 weeks..)

Thanks man, I appreciate it. :thumbup: Sounds pretty cool, can't wait to get there.

Got another question if you don't mind. Is the drug-class-memorizing part of pharm covered in 1st semester or 2nd? (I had assumed it'd be 2nd semester, and the 3 weeks of pharm in 1st semester would just be pharmokinetics, but now I'm realizing i may be seriously underestimating how much content med schools can cram into 3 weeks..)

Both. 1st semester pharm is mostly theory, but you do have to memorize some drugs too for the sake of applying the theories. 2nd and 3rd semester you learn drugs by system.

Someone mentioned awhile ago Dr Nicholas was away has he returned from vacation? Any chance there will be any further movement on the WL?

Hey guys - did anyone here get accepted with a 33 mcat? Im applying

Status
Not open for further replies.