2009-2010 Columbia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I definitely failed in the anonymity department when I made this my user name, but I'm too darn cheap to donate to have it changed :laugh:

haha... well, my username is my columbia uni, so in some ways i failed as well. but not as epically as you did :p

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how I can change my mailing address (so that when Columbia sends me my decision letter sometime in early March, I can get it where I'll be during that time, which is during spring break)?

Does anyone know how I can change my mailing address (so that when Columbia sends me my decision letter sometime in early March, I can get it where I'll be during that time, which is during spring break)?

i wouldn't change your address just for that. we don't even know the exact date on which they'll send out decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
from last year, 3/4/09:

I asked if all decisions has been sent out already and she said that decisions were sent yesterday, some more were sent today, and that another batch would be sent tomorrow and friday. I asked her if all the acceptances were sent out already, and she didn't give me a straight answer but I am pretty sure she hinted that the majority of the decisions that were sent yesterday and today were acceptances, and that now they were working on their WL and rejections. I also asked her when NY/NJ residents would hear, and she said "most likely Thursday" (i.e. TOMORROW!!!!!!)

its my understanding that they have the big meeting at the end of feb, and then decisions are made by march 1.

from last year, 3/4/09:

I asked if all decisions has been sent out already and she said that decisions were sent yesterday, some more were sent today, and that another batch would be sent tomorrow and friday. I asked her if all the acceptances were sent out already, and she didn't give me a straight answer but I am pretty sure she hinted that the majority of the decisions that were sent yesterday and today were acceptances, and that now they were working on their WL and rejections. I also asked her when NY/NJ residents would hear, and she said "most likely Thursday" (i.e. TOMORROW!!!!!!)

its my understanding that they have the big meeting at the end of feb, and then decisions are made by march 1.

okay. well, my interviewer just said "march." so... whatevs.

You really don't want to change your address unless you have a really good reason (ie, you won't be back to the previous address for several weeks and there isn't anyone there to check your mail for you). If you need to change it, call.

confirmed for the 19th! woohooo! (i guess i'm interviewing on the last day?)
anyone else interviewing that day???

congrats man. i dont think that's the last day though. i believe 2/23 is

congrats man. i dont think that's the last day though. i believe 2/23 is

thanks dude. it's a ~*~*~DREAM COME TRUE~*~*~ (until the rejection letter. lol). I assumed it was the 19th because I think that's what Yale's is? idk.

i was offered an interview on any weekday from 2/1 to 2/23

schools don't coordinate their interview days

dw2158, why dont you post your GPA and MCAT scores in your MDApps profile?

I am just curious why some people bother to post all their interviews, acceptances etc.. and not the basic numbers that got them somewhere.... What's the deal with that??

dw2158, why dont you post your GPA and MCAT scores in your MDApps profile?

I am just curious why some people bother to post all their interviews, acceptances etc.. and not the basic numbers that got them somewhere.... What's the deal with that??

a couple of reasons. first, because i've gotten flamed and had annoying posts directed at me in regard to my stats in the past. don't know why-- they're really not that exciting, i promise. secondly, i don't think i'm that anonymous on here. someone who went to my undergrad or whatever could easily figure out who i am. and i feel weird having information that's that specific on here. people will obviously know where i end up at school, but having people know my MCAT score? that feels weird to me.

anyway, i know it's not logical. i never shared grades or scores in undergrad, though, so i guess this is a continuation of that. if you're really curious, this has been discussed on SDN a lot... search for "mdapps anonymous" and at least of couple of threads (in which i've posted) will come up.

For those waiting for Bassett, someone posted on another thread an email that they said was a reply to their inquiry if scheduled Bassett interviews were done. The email posted says that this is so. I was told to continue to encourage all Bassett and non-Bassett applicants to send in updates for both programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have sent two in-the-area emails to Columbia when I received invites at other schools in NYC, and I was just told that my application is still under review. I've been complete since August! Can anyone shed some light on their review process?

the last interview day is 2/23 or thereabouts. i imagine that the vast majority if not all of the interviews have been given out.

i interviewed there today and had a great time. saw mmmcdowe for a quick second (yo). very friendly interview. still in love with the place.

i was told letters go out ~3/3. interviewer said ~75 people get in off the alternate list.

I have sent two in-the-area emails to Columbia when I received invites at other schools in NYC, and I was just told that my application is still under review. I've been complete since August! Can anyone shed some light on their review process?

Have you sent in any updates besides the in the area emails? They are very receptive to updates. Under review essentially means that your file is still open. That doesn't imply its been read yet in all cases, but I'm pretty sure that they must have if you've been complete that long. So updates are probably the best way of getting reread this late in the game given the length of your complete status. Files are still open and there are still days of interviewing left.

All decisions are made and sent out in March.

Have you sent in any updates besides the in the area emails? They are very receptive to updates. Under review essentially means that your file is still open. That doesn't imply its been read yet in all cases, but I'm pretty sure that they must have if you've been complete that long. So updates are probably the best way of getting reread this late in the game given the length of your complete status. Files are still open and there are still days of interviewing left.

complete in September, update sent on new year's, not a peep from them.... this would have been my first or second choice. I don't want to leave new york. what about my app could have gotten me blacklisted here but not at the other top 10 private schools?

complete in September, update sent on new year's, not a peep from them.... this would have been my first or second choice. I don't want to leave new york. what about my app could have gotten me blacklisted here but not at the other top 10 private schools?
Who knows? I didn't get interviews at Harvard or Yale but received them EARLY from Penn and Columbia. Rejected pre-interview at UCSF, Michigan and Chicago but early acceptances to WashU, Pitt and Vandy. These schools are INUNDATED with ultra-qualified applicants. Anyone is lucky to receive an interview. Good applicants get into good schools, but which one is a complete crap shoot. I consider myself lucky to have applied so broadly.

Last edited:

I'd be happy to look over your app if you like, but I probably wouldn't be able to tell you straight up what it is anyways. Honestly, I would say that Columbia's pattern of admission is probably the most unique of any of the top schools (except for probably Mayo and a couple others) that I interviewed at. I've seen a lot of people getting accepted to Harvard, Johns Hopkins, etc being rejected at Columbia, and a lot of people at Columbia who had been overlooked by some of the more traditional schools (One particular student from last year comes to mind. He got accepted at every school he interviewed at, essentially all of the top 20, except for Columbia. I remember him being quite miffed over the fact that Columbia was his combo breaker). Send in another letter or an update. Tell them this is one of your top choices. On the plus side if things don't go the way you want you're going to have some great options, including here in NYC, to choose from.

Last edited:
Are they still handing out interview invite at this point?

I've been following this thread for a while, but have never joined SDN/never contributed. Columbia is by far my top choice and I have my interview on Thurs. I am so unbelievably nervous!!! Any suggestions?
My scores are slightly below Columbia's average. Does Columbia take into account bad grades you took for college credit while still in high school? They significantly drag down my GPA. Also, writing is not my strong point. I didn't do well on the writing section of the MCAT at all. Will that have a large negative impact on my chances? Will I get to meet the famed mmmcdowe?

Hey guys may I have the email to send letter of update to columbia? Thanks and good luck to everyone here.

I've been following this thread for a while, but have never joined SDN/never contributed. Columbia is by far my top choice and I have my interview on Thurs. I am so unbelievably nervous!!! Any suggestions?
My scores are slightly below Columbia's average. Does Columbia take into account bad grades you took for college credit while still in high school? They significantly drag down my GPA. Also, writing is not my strong point. I didn't do well on the writing section of the MCAT at all. Will that have a large negative impact on my chances? Will I get to meet the famed mmmcdowe?

Just chill. The interview day at Columbia is awesome, and very laid-back. You'll have a lot of students stroll through the interview room, and every one of them was a joy. I can't really answer many of the other questions, but I'd put money on meeting mmmcdowe. When I was there he spent nearly the whole day with us (this was in the fall tho, things may have geared up for him by now); just as cool and informative in person as he is here on the web :thumbup:.

That said, I sent off a letter of intent to Dean Frantz today. Hopefully this isn't taken as being presumptuous, but I'm 100% set on Columbia and hoping for a positive decision in March :xf:.

Hey guys may I have the email to send letter of update to columbia? Thanks and good luck to everyone here.

Office of Admissions
630 West 168th Street, Box 41
New York, NY 10032
Phone: 212-305-3595
Fax: 212-305-3601
[email protected]

All I can say is that if anything that you had mentioned was a deal breaker they wouldn't have offered to interview you, so focus on what you do have control over like your interview and letters of intent. While Fridays are more my traditional song and dance day, I do stop by in between classes for some conversation and coffee.

Office of Admissions
New York, NY 10032
[email protected]

Is this where we should have additional LORs sent to as well?

I think additional letters still should be uploaded by your professor to AMCAS. Then, you can call or send an email to make sure they have updated your file.

Office of Admissions
New York, NY 10032
[email protected]

All I can say is that if anything that you had mentioned was a deal breaker they wouldn't have offered to interview you, so focus on what you do have control over like your interview and letters of intent. While Fridays are more my traditional song and dance day, I do stop by in between classes for some conversation and coffee.
Thank you:)

Office of Admissions
New York, NY 10032
[email protected]

Is this where we should have additional LORs sent to as well?

That's where I sent my updates and stuff. You can have your prof directly send it too if its a Columbia specific letter.

what do you guys think of sending LOIs to the director of admissions (ellen perez) and/or associate dean of admissions (dr. frantz) as opposed to sending it to the [email protected] email address?

what do you guys think of sending LOIs to the director of admissions (ellen perez) and/or associate dean of admissions (dr. frantz) as opposed to sending it to the [email protected] email address?

It isn't going to affect who reads them nor will it affect the weight it is given. Well, it might if you email Dean Frantz. He isn't terribly fond of checking email it seems so I'm not sure how his email is handled, or if it is read. :laugh: I wouldn't know if you have access to their emails as I don't follow admissions committee mailings and stuff, but those are their personal emails and it might be a little off putting for dozens of applicants to be sending them stuff rather than through the official email box (which is maintained by Ellen Perez and the other office staff anyways).

Can you talk more about what it means if my application has been read and yet nothing has happened yet?

I have not sent any updates, in fact it was only until recently did I have anything particularly noteworthy to send. Thanks! I'll go send an update email - I'm on the West Coast and snail mail takes longer than I'd like...

For those concerned, the admissions office is closed today because of weather, so you might not get anyone if you call. If you have trouble getting here for an interview tomorrow or Friday, they will definitely accommodate you as best as they can.

As far as what that means, it means your file is still open pending decision in March. i really don't know too much of the mechanics of the admission committee other than they do consider updates as long as files are open.

Just got back from my interview. Can't really tell how it went... really short. But I did love the school even more after the tour and lunch. All of the students I met were so welcoming and friendly. I hope I get in!

Don't worry about length of interview. It varies from fifteen minutes up to over an hour depending on the interviewer/day/time. The president of our class had a 10-15 minute interview and was utterly devastated. :laugh:

"It is in your best interest to do all you can to facilitate the prompt completion of your application. After December, the later your application, the fewer places remain in the class. At later stages, highly ranked applicants have a greater chance of being offered a place on our waitlist instead of being given an immediate offer of admission."

Is this true? I thought there is no penalty for late completeness, especially after the interview invite.

I'm interviewing on Feb. 19th...one of the last days :eek:

"It is in your best interest to do all you can to facilitate the prompt completion of your application. After December, the later your application, the fewer places remain in the class. At later stages, highly ranked applicants have a greater chance of being offered a place on our waitlist instead of being given an immediate offer of admission."

Is this true? I thought there is no penalty for late completeness, especially after the interview invite.

No its not, you're fine :)

Where did you get this from? This sounds like something related to a rolling school. Columbia is not rolling.

They'd rather not have to process 1500 applications on the last day of open secondaries. The major hurt you do yourself by applying late is the fact that you have a lower chance of interviewing with Columbia. I'll double check but I know that I've already asked this question before to the admissions office. There are people in my class that interviewed in february and were taken directly.

The website is an error, I checked today.

Also, the last of the interview offers are supposedly being sent out by the end of the week. Any other offers will be from very timely updates, but are probably pretty unlikely..

Also, the last of the interview offers are supposedly being sent out by the end of the week. Any other offers will be from very timely updates, but are probably pretty unlikely..

Am I not too late to send in a interest/update letter? I interviewed in mid-October. I've been super busy and didn't want to send it until I finished my last interview (which was last week). Is email OK....or should I mail it? Has the committee started to meet to discuss next year's class? I've probably asked this before.

Thanks!

By the end of the week, you mean today? It is Friday. Or do you mean next week.

By the end of the week, you mean today? It is Friday. Or do you mean next week.

The end of this week. I would say "today" but some adcom members work weekends.

Am I not too late to send in a interest/update letter? I interviewed in mid-October. I've been super busy and didn't want to send it until I finished my last interview (which was last week). Is email OK....or should I mail it? Has the committee started to meet to discuss next year's class? I've probably asked this before.

Thanks!

You are still in time. I don't believe the meetings start for another week or so. I prefer mail, but at this point you are probably better served with email.

I called and asked them where my boss should send a letter and they said email was fine, so it sounds like that works if you want to avoid postal problems.

The lack of activity in this thread is unacceptable.

on one hand i agree...on the other, every time this thread gets bumped it just reminds me of the little countdown I have going to the week of decisions-this is my absolute first choice...

2wks!

Just packing my suit case for the interview... still feels TOTALLY UNREAL. GAHHH! Haven't had the interview yet so can't say for sure but ugh columbia has been my top choice by miles and miles.

Please love me, Columbia, as much as I love you!!! Love me, dammit!

Status
Not open for further replies.