TUCOM-CA Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When you say there's "lottery" for who gets to stay in the area, does that mean it's completely random? Do people that have spouses or kids who may not be able to move every two years get any special consideration?

Members don't see this ad.

When you say there's "lottery" for who gets to stay in the area, does that mean it's completely random? Do people that have spouses or kids who may not be able to move every two years get any special consideration?

That's what your class votes on. Who gets priority in the lottery to stay in the area. People with houses, jobs, kids, whatever. That was my understanding of how it works.

They have a lottery and vote on who gets priority in staying in the area. So there's a good chance you might end up going to LA or Michigan

Do many graduates wind up practicing in Northern California? I know a good number do residencies there, mostly in Southern California, but is this school a key to a career in the NorCal/Pacific Northwest, where I am interested in working?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do many graduates wind up practicing in Northern California? I know a good number do residencies there, mostly in Southern California, but is this school a key to a career in the NorCal/Pacific Northwest, where I am interested in working?

Practicing after residency? You can practice wherever you want :)

Interviewed couple of days ago... what a depressing school. Hated the environment. The student interviewer was absolutely rude. He totally rolled his eyes to one of my answers and mocked it by making a comment.

I haven't heard much of anything nice (poor clinical years experience) about this school aside from a friendly dean of admin. and some extra study days for the boards.

At this point, if I get an acceptance somewhere else I won't even bother attending an interview. If I do end up there though I plan on making the best of it; as many good doctors seemed to have made it through this system.

Ok, so this is how it works: For each course you take, there are "subdisciplines" within the courses (so far for me, it's been 2-3 per course). You have to pass all courses with a 70% or greater, BUT you have to pass each subdiscipline with a 70% or greater also. Now, if you can maintain a 74% or greater in both the overall course and the subdisciplines, then when it comes time for choosing a rotation site, you pick your top 3 choices. After that, it is a lottery to see who gets what site. From upperclassmen, I've heard pretty much all students get their top 2 form this system. Also, if there is a site you want to do a rotation at and we are not affiliated with them, you can set it up yourself via approval from the site and Touro. Hope that helps.

You do residency where you get accepted. Your numbers, your letters of rec, your interview, your experience will determine it, but obviously you choose where you want to apply to. I'm from SoCal, so I want to do a residency down there eventually.

Interviewed couple of days ago... what a depressing school. Hated the environment. The student interviewer was absolutely rude. He totally rolled his eyes to one of my answers and mocked it by making a comment.
I'm sorry to hear that you got that impression, from both the campus and the student interviewer. The number one surveyed reason for school choice for many people is location, so it's understandable if you don't like ours. To each his/her own. As for the student interviewer, it happens. People will rub off on you the wrong way in many interactions in your life. Sorry again, good luck with everything, though!

I haven't heard much of anything nice (poor clinical years experience) about this school aside from a friendly dean of admin. and some extra study days for the boards.

At this point, if I get an acceptance somewhere else I won't even bother attending an interview. If I do end up there though I plan on making the best of it; as many good doctors seemed to have made it through this system.
Poor clinical years experience? You need to check out our affiliated rotation sites and base it on that. Admittingly, there are some weak sites, but there also quite a few strong sites, such as Arrowhead, CA. We also have one of the best renowned OMM lab and faculty in the country. The curriculum has also shifted to focus more on board prep. As far as the COMLEX goes, I believe I was notified that the pass rate for the last three years was 93%. Not sure about the USMLE but you can always contacts Admissions. Anyways, like I said above, to each his/her own. Good luck with your interviews and congrats for them!

Ok, so this is how it works: For each course you take, there are "subdisciplines" within the courses (so far for me, it's been 2-3 per course). You have to pass all courses with a 70% or greater, BUT you have to pass each subdiscipline with a 70% or greater also. Now, if you can maintain a 74% or greater in both the overall course and the subdisciplines, then when it comes time for choosing a rotation site, you pick your top 3 choices. After that, it is a lottery to see who gets what site. From upperclassmen, I've heard pretty much all students get their top 2 form this system. Also, if there is a site you want to do a rotation at and we are not affiliated with them, you can set it up yourself via approval from the site and Touro. Hope that helps.

Thank you CKG85! Where do the majority of students do their rotations? Do you know a rough ballpark of what percentage stays in the Vallejo area? I'm trying to get a sense of how likely it is that I will have to move after 2 years.

Thank you CKG85! Where do the majority of students do their rotations? Do you know a rough ballpark of what percentage stays in the Vallejo area? I'm trying to get a sense of how likely it is that I will have to move after 2 years.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure on that one. You can call Admissions and they can forward you to the Clinical Rotation office. They might have more info there. Since students come from SoCal and all over the country, I believe most of us try to go back there to do our rotations. I know the OMS III who interviewed me is now back on the East Coast doing his rotations. We pretty much don't see any OMS III or IV's on campus. Like I said though, you can check our affiliated sites and see if there is one in the area if you are trying to stay here.

Apparently Touro plans to add new sites, I think the goal is to get all students to rotate in California. So for people entering next year, they might not have to go out of state for clinicals.

Thanks for the information about the interview format, but good God. Some of those questions are pretty obscure, e.g. "The difference between the body and mind." Wow, that one would totally catch me off guard. Anyway, my interview is November 30 and at least now I know what to expect; good luck to anyone who has yet to interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Admissions committee meeting today! Sending good vibes in the Vallejo direction:xf::xf:

Good luck everyone!

Good luck to those of you finding out tomorrow! I've said this a few times, but I'll mention it again... there is a page for the TOURO California Class of 2014 on Facebook... an interesting discussion of books to help prepare you for medical school just got started over there...

Also, there is a TOURO Class of 2014 forum on the SDN Osteopathic Medical Student Class Forums, ours was one of the first 2014 class pages to be created, but so far we've got nothing to say, hehe... lets get this going as we prepare to start this journey together!

so if you're accepted please join the Facebook group, and drop by the forum!

Good Luck everyone!

Hey guys, how many questions do you get asked during the interview and how much of time do people generally take to anwer the question.

I won't be taking more than 2 minutes to answer each question I get, and do they ever ask you more follow-up questions on your answer to clarify something or interrupt you?

Thanks.

Hey guys, how many questions do you get asked during the interview and how much of time do people generally take to anwer the question.

I won't be taking more than 2 minutes to answer each question I get, and do they ever ask you more follow-up questions on your answer to clarify something or interrupt you?

Thanks.

They'll probably ask you about 6-8 questions... 3 or 4 direct questions, then a follow up question or two... then go on to someone else, then come bcak to you. Give an answer of a minute or two... be thorough, but concise, and don't ramble.

They'll probably ask you about 6-8 questions... 3 or 4 direct questions, then a follow up question or two... then go on to someone else, then come bcak to you. Give an answer of a minute or two... be thorough, but concise, and don't ramble.

Gotcha thanks, will the same question get asked to other students as well?

Everyone got different questions. They may ask you to respond to what someone just said, so make sure to listen to what other people are saying. I got 7 questions total. And honestly the best advice is to not ramble. I know that sounds lame, but it is the truth.

GOOD LUCK!

Does anyone know if there is any other cheaper way to get around in Vallejo besides staying at the Marriott and using their shuttle service? Or better yet, if I stayed at a hotel nearby would they let me walk over and use the shuttle for a fee?

Gracias!

Hey does anyone know where a family member can hang out or wait while we students tour/interview?

Does the admissions have any sites for family members to wait the time out?

Hey does anyone know where a family member can hang out or wait while we students tour/interview?

I asked the admissions lady this when I was scheduling my interview and she said that your guest is allowed to walk around on the tour with you, but during the interview he or she can stay in the cafeteria or some waiting area.

I asked the admissions lady this when I was scheduling my interview and she said that your guest is allowed to walk around on the tour with you, but during the interview he or she can stay in the cafeteria or some waiting area.

Oh ok, gotcha, my interview is tom and am quite nervous about it...

Oh ok, gotcha, my interview is tom and am quite nervous about it...

Just go in drunk.

You'll be fine... just be normal, be yourself, do the best you can... it's actually pretty fun once you relax :)

You do residency where you get accepted. Your numbers, your letters of rec, your interview, your experience will determine it, but obviously you choose where you want to apply to. I'm from SoCal, so I want to do a residency down there eventually.

I'm sorry to hear that you got that impression, from both the campus and the student interviewer. The number one surveyed reason for school choice for many people is location, so it's understandable if you don't like ours. To each his/her own. As for the student interviewer, it happens. People will rub off on you the wrong way in many interactions in your life. Sorry again, good luck with everything, though!

Poor clinical years experience? You need to check out our affiliated rotation sites and base it on that. Admittingly, there are some weak sites, but there also quite a few strong sites, such as Arrowhead, CA. We also have one of the best renowned OMM lab and faculty in the country. The curriculum has also shifted to focus more on board prep. As far as the COMLEX goes, I believe I was notified that the pass rate for the last three years was 93%. Not sure about the USMLE but you can always contacts Admissions. Anyways, like I said above, to each his/her own. Good luck with your interviews and congrats for them!

At most DO schools you are on your own for clinicals. I went to LECOM and they gave me this gigantic list of rotation spots spread around the country. A lot of DO schools are like this, even AZCOM is similar in this regard, even though you are in Arizona for the first two years, they send their students around for the third and fourth. Touro's match list is pretty darn good, with a large percent of graduates getting residencies in California. CA is a notoriously difficult state to get a residency, even people from the best US medical schools struggle to match in California. I found a Touro graduate at UCSF training with Stanford and UCSF MD graduates.

Yeah, Marine World's right there in Vallejo. Good times! :D

At the nice :Dfarraget(?) inn, which is also where the admissions office is located.

has anyone heard for interviews lately?

ive been complete for 10 days now, no interview... =(

are they still giving out interviews?

same here, i've been complete since oct. 20 and i havent heard anything. my friend was complete on the same day and he got an interview, so they are still giving them out. good luck!

Quick question: is attendance mandatory for Touro California? And do they record lectures at all?

Quick question: is attendance mandatory for Touro California? And do they record lectures at all?

One of the tour guides told us that attendance isn’t mandatory, and that you could download your notes from the web. So if there is a professor that you have a hard time learning from you don’t have to waste your time sitting in class (That is unless you have questions). I guess it is totally based on your learning style. I don't know if they record lectures, but they do have cameras in the classrooms and the labs that project images to televisions situated in that respective class.

does anyone happen to know what their board pass rates are and what the curriculum is like?

Does anyone know if there is any other cheaper way to get around in Vallejo besides staying at the Marriott and using their shuttle service? Or better yet, if I stayed at a hotel nearby would they let me walk over and use the shuttle for a fee?

Gracias!

They do not require you to stay at any hotel but the Marriot has a free shuttle that takes you to the school and back, this is mostly for the convenience of people coming from out of town. I myself drove from Oakland, which is 45 minutes away from school.

They do not require you to stay at any hotel but the Marriot has a free shuttle that takes you to the school and back, this is mostly for the convenience of people coming from out of town. I myself drove from Oakland, which is 45 minutes away from school.

Yes, but do you think I'd be allowed to use their shuttle if I stayed at a different, cheaper hotel down the road? I'm poor.

Yes, but do you think I'd be allowed to use their shuttle if I stayed at a different, cheaper hotel down the road? I'm poor.

I think if you happen to be waiting outside when the shuttle shows up, they won't know the difference...

I would call the hotel and ask. Although they might not notice if you just waited outside and got on, it's not worth the risk of being ride-less to your interview if they turn you down the day-of!

does anyone happen to know what their board pass rates are and what the curriculum is like?

I decided to check up on you potentials. I asked the same question about the board scores. I would email Dr. Haight and ask him about it, but I believe I was told 93% within the past three years. I can't remember for which board (COMLEX or USMLE), but I would assume that is for COMLEX. Don't be afraid to ask Admissions! I don't have time to detail out curriculum right now (Block II exams tomorrow), but you can check the Admissions and/or Resources page on our website. PM me if you want more detail and I'll get back to you next week.

If worst comes to worst, let me know your interview date and I'll see if you can stay at my place (house on the island, less than 5 minute drive to the school, all 1st Year DO students). You just need to get a ride to and from the house, but if you need a place to sleep over, no worries here. Just email me though at [email protected] because I don't check SDN regularly anymore. Good luck!

Hey, do you think it is to late to put in secondaries and get an acceptance? I should be puting my secondary in next week, but am afraid it might be to late. I think I would be competitive stats wise.

sGPA 3.95
cGPA 3.71
MCAT 31

I have worked in an ER as an EMT for 4 years and spent two years in south america as a missionary. I was also a collegiate water polo player.
Thanks for any advise.

So, today I received my confirmation letter for my scheduled interview with TUCOM CA, but it says I'm set for TUESDAY when we agreed to MONDAY on the phone!

Thankfully Southwest didn't hammer me for the change in itinerary, but now I'm missing another day of classes!

Anyone else have this issue? I decided instead of making a stink about the whole thing to just extend my stay in CA by another day...

Oh, and anyone with any tips or experience with this school's interview style or type of questions asked?

Hey, do you think it is to late to put in secondaries and get an acceptance? I should be puting my secondary in next week, but am afraid it might be to late. I think I would be competitive stats wise.

sGPA 3.95
cGPA 3.71
MCAT 31

And you're applying to D.O. schools? They will probably reject you knowing that you are just using them as a back up.

So, today I received my confirmation letter for my scheduled interview with TUCOM CA, but it says I'm set for TUESDAY when we agreed to MONDAY on the phone!

Thankfully Southwest didn't hammer me for the change in itinerary, but now I'm missing another day of classes!

Anyone else have this issue? I decided instead of making a stink about the whole thing to just extend my stay in CA by another day...

Oh, and anyone with any tips or experience with this school's interview style or type of questions asked?
I tried rescheduling but couldn't because there was no date avialiable, just take the date they give you, really. I was invited on 10/30, interviewed 11/3 and accepted on 11/6, because the committee met on Thursday to vote.

The interview process isn't bad at all, they will try to relax and calm you down before. They will not ask you anything about grades or MCAT scores, it will almost be entirely about your personal statement and maybe a general questions like "can you handle the rigorous medical school curriculum?" Know your PS, don't babel, make eye contact with everyone (including other students when you talk), keep it simple and clear.

BTW I GOT ACCEPTED!!!! TUCOM 2014, I'm a bay area resident and will be going to TUCOM!!

BTW I GOT ACCEPTED!!!! TUCOM 2014, I'm a bay area resident and will be going to TUCOM!!

Congratulations! For those of you who have recently been accepted, and in case you've missed my other posts on this topic. There is a Facebook group for our class. Search in Facebook for "TOURO University California 2014" and join!

There is also a forum under the current medical students section for our class...

Just canceled my interview here and in NV if anyone wants a sooner date...
(via email so give it a few hours..)

I heard Touro CA got a record number of applications this year, if you were granted an interview at Touro CA its a pretty big accomplishment.

I had my interview on Monday and, overall I'd say I was impressed with the school.

The "panel" style interview was surprisingly easy. If anything I though they were lobbing easy questions and I would have liked some more difficult inquiries to show off my poise under pressure! Oh well...

I forgot to mention that some of the concerns that were stated prior in this forum concerning placement of clinical rotations were proved to be valid.

That is, one may have to spend significant time outside of the Bay Area to get the required clinical hours.

So, if a person is averse to adventure and travel this may be a bad situation.

And, I happen to look at this way: I'd rather have the pleasure of spending two years near San Francisco then have to suffer through 4 years of being stuck somewhere in the Midwest. Sorry everyone in the fly-over states...

The "panel" style interview was surprisingly easy. If anything I though they were lobbing easy questions and I would have liked some more difficult inquiries to show off my poise under pressure! Oh well...

You must have had an easy panel. My panel had some pretty random and difficult questions. My group was asked, "What type of chemical reaction would best describe your life?" or something to that effect. Another was asked "who are you?". Another person was asked a question so confusing that, to this day, I have no clue what the question was and would not have been able to answer it. Luckily, everyone in my group got a WTF question.

You must have had an easy panel. My panel had some pretty random and difficult questions. My group was asked, "What type of chemical reaction would best describe your life?" or something to that effect. Another was asked "who are you?". Another person was asked a question so confusing that, to this day, I have no clue what the question was and would not have been able to answer it. Luckily, everyone in my group got a WTF question.

Wow! What type of chemical rxn does my life feel like! If asked that I'd probably say "combustion" as my cheeks would get hot and it'd feel like there was a lot of hot air in the room.