TUCOM-CA Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview invite! Pretty quick turnaround... also, the first available date was November 9th, so it looks like they're getting backed up pretty quickly.

Anyone else amused by the fact that only the first two paragraphs of the letter actually said anything about the interview? The whole rest of the letter was pretty much one long commercial for the Marriott and the shuttle service. Plus the extra flyers/brochures, etc. Kind of glad my family lives in the Bay Area, I can just crash there and drive over without all the hooplah.

Members don't see this ad.

To Those Who Received Interviews:
My roommates and I live on Mare Island, about 5 minutes (drive time) from the campus. If you would like to stay over during your interview time, we have agreed to allow up to 2 people at a given time to do so. We can answer questions and it'll be an easy way for you to get to campus. We are not charging or anything, this is just to help you guys out as we remember the insanity of flying all over the place to do an interview. This is first come, first serve for a given interview date. Either PM me or email me at [email protected] with "Interview Housing" in the subject line. Good luck on interviews! I might see you on the Interview Tour if I'm scheduled to tour your group!

Chet

I recieved my complete notice and interview invite the same day by snail mail.

I'll be interviewing mid-October. Hey did anyone find scheduling an interview to be a pain. I had to call several times, because no one would return my calls. I guess I can't blame them they must be super busy reviewing apps.

.That’s weird, I called and they answered right away. I did reach an operator that connected me to the COM. Interview is set for Oct 27! I still haven’t booked a room though, it’s quite expensive.​

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the first group of interviewees, and the campus is a little weird, but I liked it... The interview is hard, they intentionally design it to be very stressful... so just be prepared, they're very familiar with your file. They ask you very tough questions, in my interview group some of the questions asked were:

Explain how your art major has prepared you for the rigors of medical school? specifically were your art classes challenging enough to adequately prepare you for medical school curriculum?
What will you do if six months into medschool you hate it? What will you do if one year into medical school you hate it, and are on anti-depressants because you are so miserable?
Discuss the pro's and cons of abortion without stating your opinion.
If a family brought their two year old in, and said they wanted her to fully develop but stay at the same size her entire life, assuming medical advancement would allow it, would you be willing to medicate the child to develop into a mini-adult?
What's the difference between the mind and the body?
What will you do if you come to school here and you miss your family?
You have a lot of activities on your application, are you going to be able to do nothing in medical school but study and focus on school, or are you someone who has to be constantly active and stimulated?
You seem to say "you know" a lot when you are thinking and explaining things. How will you respond if an elderly patient starts to yell at you because they find your constant repetition of the phrase "you know" to be annoying?

There are three interviewers and you interview with 4-5 other students, each interviewer asks each student 2-3 questions and then moves on to the next student. Each set of questions is very specific to each student, and at least in my interview no student was asked the same question as another student.

I have heard, but can't verify that this is true, that how you behave the entire day is taken into account before the admissions committee. That is to say that how you act with each other, with the admissions director, with the dean, with the financial aide person, and with the students who give your tour is taken into account as part of the interview. I also know, that they want you to give clear and concise answers, do not babble. do not ramble. make eye contact, and do not repetitively say "um" "you know" "Ah" etc.

For those of you who don't know, if you are accepted you have two weeks to make a $2,000 non-refundable deposit to hold your place in the class.
Hopefully this helps! Good luck!

For some reason I think Touro does more than just 400 interviews. Does anyone know where you can find COMLEX information for Touro, not just pass percentages and what residencies most of their graduates go in to???

I was interviewed on the first day of this round, and they said they interview about 4 students for every 1 seat in the class, so with a class of approx 125 they interview around 500 students...

For those of you who don't know, if you are accepted you have two weeks to make a $2,000 non-refundable deposit to hold your place in the class.

It counts toward tuition though, right?

Aaah I'm getting really nervous about the group interview! I know it's silly and doesn't make much sense, but I'm more nervous about the other students judging me than the faculty!

Anyone who interviewed on the 14th, 15th, 21st, or 22nd heard from Dr. H yet? I know we are supposed to get an email from him some time today as long as we sent him permission to notify us via email... but I'm getting nervous.... TOURO NV's adcom met this morning and they have already sent me the verdict.... and I was expecting to hear from TOURO CA before TOURO NV... so now I feel behind or something...

No email yet. Fingers crossed. Let's post here as soon as we hear something, yay or nay.

I was in the first group of interviewees, and the campus is a little weird, but I liked it... The interview is hard, they intentionally design it to be very stressful... so just be prepared, they're very familiar with your file. They ask you very tough questions, in my interview group some of the questions asked were:

Explain how your art major has prepared you for the rigors of medical school? specifically were your art classes challenging enough to adequately prepare you for medical school curriculum?
What will you do if six months into medschool you hate it? What will you do if one year into medical school you hate it, and are on anti-depressants because you are so miserable?
Discuss the pro's and cons of abortion without stating your opinion.
If a family brought their two year old in, and said they wanted her to fully develop but stay at the same size her entire life, assuming medical advancement would allow it, would you be willing to medicate the child to develop into a mini-adult?
What's the difference between the mind and the body?
What will you do if you come to school here and you miss your family?
You have a lot of activities on your application, are you going to be able to do nothing in medical school but study and focus on school, or are you someone who has to be constantly active and stimulated?
You seem to say "you know" a lot when you are thinking and explaining things. How will you respond if an elderly patient starts to yell at you because they find your constant repetition of the phrase "you know" to be annoying?

There are three interviewers and you interview with 4-5 other students, each interviewer asks each student 2-3 questions and then moves on to the next student. Each set of questions is very specific to each student, and at least in my interview no student was asked the same question as another student.

I have heard, but can't verify that this is true, that how you behave the entire day is taken into account before the admissions committee. That is to say that how you act with each other, with the admissions director, with the dean, with the financial aide person, and with the students who give your tour is taken into account as part of the interview. I also know, that they want you to give clear and concise answers, do not babble. do not ramble. make eye contact, and do not repetitively say "um" "you know" "Ah" etc.

Dude, that just sounds brutal. Were they at least nice about it? It sounds almost like they're attacking you...

I mean, on one hand, I can see them trying to figure out how you handle yourself thinking on your feet in a stressful situation- you're going to have to do that in medicine. But still, it's hard to view them as people who want to help you succeed when they're constantly trying to trip you up.

I kind of like the panel interview format, because I get to know my fellow interviewees a little more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'd like to just point something out.

I volunteer for being one of the student tour guides, and I just wanted to let you know that the tour guides in no way affect your acceptance or not into the school. We just get to show you the campus. We in no way go and report you guys to anyone. I don't even ask for the interviewees names, as I won't remember them anyways (I'm bad with names and faces). We are completely volunteering out own times to walk you guys around. So don't worry about presenting yourself. Obviously keep yourself in check around Faculty, but honestly, be yourself. It's not as bad as it seems. Good luck.

Hey guys, I'd like to just point something out.

I volunteer for being one of the student tour guides, and I just wanted to let you know that the tour guides in no way affect your acceptance or not into the school. We just get to show you the campus. We in no way go and report you guys to anyone. I don't even ask for the interviewees names, as I won't remember them anyways (I'm bad with names and faces). We are completely volunteering out own times to walk you guys around. So don't worry about presenting yourself. Obviously keep yourself in check around Faculty, but honestly, be yourself. It's not as bad as it seems. Good luck.

Hey, Thanks for clearing that up! like I said I wasn't 100% sure about that but had heard it! And thanks for volunteering to show us around! :)

Nay for me. Good luck to you guys.

Sorry :( you already received an email? When did you get it... Aaacckkk I'm so nervous I haven't heard anything yet...

Dude, that just sounds brutal. Were they at least nice about it? It sounds almost like they're attacking you...

I mean, on one hand, I can see them trying to figure out how you handle yourself thinking on your feet in a stressful situation- you're going to have to do that in medicine. But still, it's hard to view them as people who want to help you succeed when they're constantly trying to trip you up.

It was hard, they aren't mean, they are very polite, but they definitely want the interview to be stressful. Dr. H actually tells you that in the introduction first thing in the morning. They want it to simulate presenting a case on rounds, which is why they do a group interview... I liked it, it reminded me that the other interviewees aren't necessarily these overqualified gods that I tend to think they are... It's one of those things, some people love the format some hate it... I loved it... i actually really felt like the director of admissions was really trying to help us out more than at other schools... and they are so straightforward and honest about the process and how hard it is... plus as someone who has been wait listed before, and is currently on the wait list at Touro NV, I appreciate that Dr. H hates having to have a wait list (I'm pretty sure he called it barbaric)... Dr. H is really encouraging and basically tells you that if he picked you to interview at Touro CA you are a solid enough candidate to get in anywhere... but obviously they brought you there because they want you there...

I'm in, I'm in.... Accepted yay, yay!! :D

Congrats!

I got waitlist, which is in essence a reject, despite my above average stats. I know my AACOMAS error is gonna come bite me, hard.

Congrats!!! It's an awesome feeling. :thumbup::) I'm a first year and will also be giving tours during the interview day, so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck to everyone.

Accepted!!!!! hooray!!!!

Yay! congratulations... I feel like we should start a facebook group for our class, and maybe another thread on SDN?

I started a group on Facebook... Touro University California Class of 2014.... PM me or look up the group on Facebook to join... again congratulations!

I also started a new thread under the medical students part of SDN, it's under osteopathic students, class threads it's called "Touro CA class of 2014", or something like that!

Last edited:
Congrats!

I got waitlist, which is in essence a reject, despite my above average stats. I know my AACOMAS error is gonna come bite me, hard.

so sorry, what was your error? Is there any way to correct it?

Reading all of these posts is making me freak out a bit!! I haven't even interviewed yet (I guess that's what I'm most nervous about!) Congrats to those who were accepted!

Long story short, it is a snafu between me and AACOMAS. Updating my application takes time, unfortunately. I wonder if TUCA would revise their decision once this AACOMAS issue has been straightened out.

so sorry, what was your error? Is there any way to correct it?

Long story short, it is a snafu between me and AACOMAS. Updating my application takes time, unfortunately. I wonder if TUCA would revise their decision once this AACOMAS issue has been straightened out.

Once AACOMAS updates, I would send an updated copy to Dr. Haight... explain that there have been significant updates to your file and your were hoping it was possible for the admissions committee to re-review your file including the new updates the next time they meet, I may also include a letter of intent stating that Touro is your top choice. However, I would only do this if TOURO-CA is your top choice, b/c it would be kinda shady to ask them to re-consider you, and then if you get in to not put the $2,000 deposit down and accept the offer.

hey guys, i had a question on the supplemental app. for the "explain why you've chose touro" they only give you like four lines to fill in that response.

what the hell you do write in like two sentences????:confused:

Yeah I agree. I've been trying to decide on that. Tough choice.

Once AACOMAS updates, I would send an updated copy to Dr. Haight... explain that there have been significant updates to your file and your were hoping it was possible for the admissions committee to re-review your file including the new updates the next time they meet, I may also include a letter of intent stating that Touro is your top choice. However, I would only do this if TOURO-CA is your top choice, b/c it would be kinda shady to ask them to re-consider you, and then if you get in to not put the $2,000 deposit down and accept the offer.

accepted as well!! :)

Congrats! There is a facebook group for Touro University California class of 2014, look it up or PM and I'll friend you on facebook....

There is also a Touro University CA thread on SDN under medical students...

I know its early, but I wanted to get the groups started because I am excited! Woot! Woot!

Declining my acceptance here and Nevada. Touro's just not doing it for me. Goodluck everyone.

Mind me asking what school you decide to go?

Did you interview at Western?

Declining my acceptance here and Nevada. Touro's just not doing it for me. Goodluck everyone.

I'll be canceling my interview which is on the 12th or 13th of October. So, if anyone wants my spot, I suggest you call them at the end of tomorrow or Monday and take my spot.

When does Touro notify people of acceptances? Does anyone know their interview acceptance rate? I noticed on their secondary that they ask if you interviewed there before and for the result, would that mean they interview a lot of people?

When does Touro notify people of acceptances? Does anyone know their interview acceptance rate? I noticed on their secondary that they ask if you interviewed there before and for the result, would that mean they interview a lot of people?
they respond in about 2 week by mail. during the interview, they'll ask if you want to receive the notice via email as well.

they interview ~430 students with a class size of ~130. so they'll probably accept ~260 since about less than half the people decline acceptances. hope that helps.

hey guys, i had a question on the supplemental app. for the "explain why you've chose touro" they only give you like four lines to fill in that response.

what the hell you do write in like two sentences????:confused:

Mine was rather generic/unspecific because 4 lines is not enough space to make many specific points.

You can also find out if your accepted before you get the letter by sending Dr. H an email to let you know your status. So I interviewed on the 14th, found out I was accepted on the 25th, and received my letter of acceptance on the 28th.

They interview 4 people for every seat in the class, usually somewhere between 450-500 students. They get over 3,000 applications (or that's what Dr. H said at my interview) so really they don't interview very many people.

I got in! Any one that has been accepted for the 2014 class... Join the facebook page!

I got in! Any one that has been accepted for the 2014 class... Join the facebook page!

Congratulations! And don't forget to drop by the Touro Class of 2014 forum in the Osteopathic Medical Student portion of SDN!

Mind me asking what school you decide to go?

Did you interview at Western?

Sorry for the late reply. I just got the Western interview today but have also been on a few MD interviews as well. I got into NSU which I liked better than the Touro schools which is why I am going to decline the Touro schools.

Good to know. Good luck with your other apps.

Sorry for the late reply. I just got the Western interview today but have also been on a few MD interviews as well. I got into NSU which I liked better than the Touro schools which is why I am going to decline the Touro schools.

Guys good news, I got into Touro CA and AZCOM. I am from Los Angeles. Anyone give me a suggestion on which school do they feel is better? Are all four years at Touro CA in Northern California?

Also I heard Touro requires a background check? Is it just a criminal record check? Just wondering.

Last edited:
Guys good news, I got into Touro CA and AZCOM. I am from Los Angeles. Anyone give me a suggestion on which school do they feel is better? Are all four years at Touro CA in Northern California?

Also I heard Touro requires a background check? Is it just a criminal record check? Just wondering.

For Touro it's my understanding that most of your four years can be in Northern California, but they don't have to be... I do know some traveling is likely purely because of the limited spaces on some rotations, but in reality some traveling is likely in 3rd and 4th year for almost every school.

I didn't apply to AZCOM, but I heard they've been having some pretty serious problems keeping faculty members, somewhere on SDN I heard that they've had a new anatomy teacher for three out of the last four years, which I think is pretty indicative of some serious issues at the school... However, as I said I didn't apply there... maybe talk to some current students and see if the academic problems there seem as bad as they used to be... I do know there is a huge thread on SDN about how bad AZCOM used to be, but that might be a year or two old now....

Sorry to double post, but I think another round of acceptances for TOURO went out today, for those of you accepted who know you're going there... we have a TOURO California Class of 2014 facebook group, and there's also a thread under the medical students thread... there's been no activity yet on the thread, but we do have a few of our fellow class members on the facebook group. Feel free to join either group, it'll be fun getting to know each of you before class starts, and also fun to get tips about finding housing and moving and all the jazz from each other beforehand!

For the secondaries, when they say "Only computer-generated applications will be accepted" does that mean that you are not supposed to fill out the packet that they send you by hand?

Use the online form.

For the secondaries, when they say "Only computer-generated applications will be accepted" does that mean that you are not supposed to fill out the packet that they send you by hand?

Could anyone elaborate on Touro Ca's rotations? I heard a fair number of students have to leave the Bay Area in the third and fourth years. Rumor has it that because of Stanford, UCSF, and UC Davis, the school has been having trouble finding rotation spots in the Bay Area. Just wondering, also do a good percent of graduates wind up practicing in region?

Could anyone elaborate on Touro Ca's rotations? I heard a fair number of students have to leave the Bay Area in the third and fourth years. Rumor has it that because of Stanford, UCSF, and UC Davis, the school has been having trouble finding rotation spots in the Bay Area. Just wondering, also do a good percent of graduates wind up practicing in region?

This is my biggest concern for the school also, but I have been doing my homework and its less of a concern now. I have talked to a few current students there, including some who are currently doing rotations. From what I gather, it is an issue and nobody denies that, but it seems to work out. They said that most of the kids who go far away want to because they are not from the area. Staying in California for rotations, even northern CA, shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't expect to be in San Francisco proper. For me, anywhere in CA is fine. I live in the Bay Area right now but if I have to go three hours away for rotations I'm fine with that (and I think a lot of schools might send you a few hrs away). Plus theres like a 50% chance you could rotate at Stanford or UCSF. Also, they all mentioned that Touro is working on getting affiliations with two major teaching hospitals (Alta Bates and I forget the other) in the area, which would take care of rotation issues. They seemed to think this would be in place in time for the c/o 2014.

They have a lottery and vote on who gets priority in staying in the area. So there's a good chance you might end up going to LA or Michigan