2023-2024 Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just FYI, on one of the Houston campus tours, they mentioned that most students choose Houston as their preferred campus. Last year, there were about 30 or so students who ranked Houston as #1 that were assigned to Temple (so about 10 students ranked Temple #1, because there are 40 seats there). They also said that any time there is any waitlist movement, they first move anyone assigned to Temple who ranked Houston #1 to the Houston campus, so a seat opens up at Temple. That’s why getting off the waitlist almost guarantees you a spot at the Temple campus.
I know some people last year got assigned to Houston campus straight off the waitlist though

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a reminder: if anyone has any questions regarding campus selection or appeals, please reach out to the official Baylor admissions email. The students (including me) do not have any info on campus related items. Again, I'm not affiliated with admissions or anything. I just wanted you guys to know to contact the school directly about any pressing issues or concerns (not the students).

Reactions: 1 users
not trying to sound judgy but do ppl rlly turn down baylor bc of campus assignment?
I would if offered Temple- unfortunately my spouse would have no job prospects there and I'm not willing to do long-distance. I assume it's mostly for cases such as mine.

Reactions: 1 user
not trying to sound judgy but do ppl rlly turn down baylor bc of campus assignment?
There are three sets of people who can turn down Baylor bc of campus.

1. OOS students with admissions they got to keep including multiple admissions within Texas (these people have not been forced to make a choice yet).
2. Instate students who hold an admission who would rather go there than default assignment to Temple because they were offered a seat off the waitlist (if that is the case, they are better off taking themselves off the waitlist).
3. Instate students who are going OOS and hold OOS admissions (many can fit this criterion that I know of based on several currently having top 10 admissions to elite schools).

Frankly, I cant imagine someone on waitlist saying I wont go because I am defaulted to Temple but the people in category 1 and 3 have not actually made a decision where they are headed as of yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Speaking of Baylor, here are the Match results!
1710600369659.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users
you guys think that Baylor didn't match as well as UTSW this year? UTSW crushed it

• Dislike
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Yeah cuz if you only go based off how many students match to competitive specialties then it doesn’t make sense because each class is different and it’s possible there weren’t as many students this year interested in, say, neurosurgery or plastic surgery. Cuz in previous years Baylor has had 3+ neurosurg but this year only 1. I think people should go based off what hospitals/schools students match at, for instance how many students each year are matching to top tier hospitals, regardless of specialty (aka mass gen or nyu etc). My final opinion though is that regardless of which medical school you end up at, if you work hard then matching into your desired speciality or location is definitely achievable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah cuz if you only go based off how many students match to competitive specialties then it doesn’t make sense because each class is different and it’s possible there weren’t as many students this year interested in, say, neurosurgery or plastic surgery. Cuz in previous years Baylor has had 3+ neurosurg but this year only 1. I think people should go based off what hospitals/schools students match at, for instance how many students each year are matching to top tier hospitals, regardless of specialty (aka mass gen or nyu etc). My final opinion though is that regardless of which medical school you end up at, if you work hard then matching into your desired speciality or location is definitely achievable.
imo I think looking at IM match (# of t20s/t30s) and numbers in specialty is the best way
though it fluctuates like 3 years ago Baylor matched solely t20s in IM

It’s just unnecessary potential discourse. All Texas schools are solid. Move on.
totally agree but it is interesting to think about whether UTSW will move above Baylor in the future, I do think that P/F for Baylor was the right move to attract more students here

totally agree but it is interesting to think about whether UTSW will move above Baylor in the future, I do think that P/F for Baylor was the right move to attract more students here
The rankings in USNEWS are arbitrary but have never used a match list to add points.

I would if offered Temple- unfortunately my spouse would have no job prospects there and I'm not willing to do long-distance. I assume it's mostly for cases such as mine.
I believe in one of the campus tours, Dr. Vallejo said that spousal reasons (spouse works in Houston, for example) would be a valid reason for campus reassignment if you do get assigned to Temple. So it would be a good idea to contact them and ask about your specific situation

Has anyone received financial info and/or scholarship at either campus?

Reactions: 4 users
I was on the fence about campus placement at first because I'm not a fan of urban living and the smaller class sizes appealed to me. I heard so many good things about Houston and the TMC and to me it felt like the "safe" option, so I ranked it first. The whole time a voice in the back of my mind was wondering if I had made the right decision, especially after touring both campuses the only reservation I felt about the Temple one was that the designated study lounges and student spaces didn't hold up to Houston's (no longer an issue as of May 2024 with brand new student areas being built - the renderings looked identical to what I saw in Houston). The camaraderie among the student body at Temple appeals to me, and I enjoyed the tour of the hospital. Super excited to start school in July and meet all the new peeps!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
i found it strange that only 3 students matched at Baylor IM this year, whereas in the last years it's been like 13
anyone have any insight into this

I see they chose to go elsewhere rather than stay back its insane how every year is so different

can't go wrong with a t30 IM though - guaranteed to match any fellowship
When students apply they are looking at residency ranking in the field of their choice. Looking at Baylor match list of 18 for IM, UTRGV and Loyola are below Baylor but the rest are above or at worst peers. So most students landed where they wanted to be.

Many also choose geographic area for residency so they can land fellowships also in that region if they are not strictly aiming for best ranked programs. There seems to be very little regional bias in this group for Texas.

Does anyone have a link to info on BCM's new grading policy (P/F all four years)? I know that is the case, but am having trouble finding details online (most of the info is a couple of years outdated).

Current students: what are your thoughts on the new curriculum?

Does anyone have a link to info on BCM's new grading policy (P/F all four years)? I know that is the case, but am having trouble finding details online (most of the info is a couple of years outdated).

Current students: what are your thoughts on the new curriculum?
I don't think they've updated the website yet, those changes take a little time. The details we have been given are that the 1 year pre-clinical is pass/fail and core clerkships are pass/fail. Our pre-clinical grades are only "tracked" so that our academic support office can reach out for tutoring and additional support if they feel you are falling behind the rest of the class and those that finish in the top ~15% receive a one-liner on the MSPE that indicates this. Core clerkships are pass/fail to encourage us to learn as a provider and better our clinical skills -- they are still offering the H/HP/P/F for elective rotations and sub-Is I think though (@MCAThiccy have you heard this as well?).

Personally, I love the curriculum. Sure it's not without hiccups but we're the first class so that's kind of what we signed up for. Our faculty are extremely responsive and actively make changes that we advocate for. The pace feels okay and they emphasize the important concepts; the testing and having multiple chances on our exams also just adds even more opportunity to improve/learn. I'm really excited for the early clinicals and having a research block so a win-win all around.

Yes, I also believe that elective rotations are graded the way you said. The curriculum is nice and I like the grading criteria as well as the two exams. Some PBL cases can be a lot, but you have two days to get it done, and a full Thursday of nothing but studying (no classes). Yippee!!

Reactions: 3 users
No. Nothing appears on my portal, either.
I am sorry but it looks like you are no longer in the running for Baylor, then. you are still going to be waiting a little longer. Correcting my post just for you @Fleur87 @MedLiberty and @topiary
Some OOS applicants have made the WL and have been notified in one of those 2 places.
Checking what people have posted, it's the IS folks who found their WL status either on the portal or on the CYMS tool.
Please see this post: 2023-2024 Baylor

It’s good that you have other offers.

Last edited:
I am sorry but it looks like you are no longer in the running for Baylor, then.
Some OOS applicants have made the WL and have been notified in one of those 2 places.

Oh really? I’m OOS as well and haven’t heard anything. Last I checked I didn’t see any OOS people on here mention they got the waitlist… Would you mind saying where you saw/heard that [mention]wysdoc [/mention]?
Would be nice to know if I can move on from my hope for Baylor to my other acceptances instead of this waiting : /

Can any OOS people please confirm if they have received a WL email? It would be a big help.

Last edited:
I am sorry but it looks like you are no longer in the running for Baylor, then.
Shoot, I thought that OOS students were also automatically placed on a waitlist, albeit one "separate" from Texas residents. So at this point, it's safe to assume no WL email=soft rejection?

Shoot, I thought that OOS students were also automatically placed on a waitlist, albeit one "separate" from Texas residents. So at this point, it's safe to assume no WL email=soft rejection?
Here’s what an applicant who took the time to enquire and share the answer was told:

Baylor will create their OOS WL after April 30, it seems.
Also, please read the post I linked which says an OOS person could also get an offer of admission before April 30.

Last edited:
Here’s what an applicant who took the time to enquire and share the answer was told:

Baylor will create their OOS WL after April 30, it seems.
Also, please read the post I linked which says an OOS person could also get an offer of admission before April 30.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

I am sorry but it looks like you are no longer in the running for Baylor, then. you are still going to be waiting a little longer. Correcting my post just for you @Fleur87 @MedLiberty and @topiary
Checking what people have posted, it's the IS folks who found their WL status either on the portal or on the CYMS tool.
Please see this post: 2023-2024 Baylor

I'm IS but I don't have a status on CYMS or the portal. No email either. Did I slip through the cracks or should I just have full faith in the "automatically placed on the waitlist".

I'm IS but I don't have a status on CYMS or the portal. No email either. Did I slip through the cracks or should I just have full faith in the "automatically placed on the waitlist".
I think someone on here a few years ago said the same thing and ended up getting off the WL