Pulmonary and Critical Care Fellowship 2021/2022 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have any info on Orlando Regional PCCM. Someone wrote 30 interviews for one spot. Is that true ?
Has anyone heard from the University of Florida Shands ?

Sounds about right; ORMC often fills from within. A 30:1 ratio is appropriate for an interview slate if you only have 1 open spot. Usually programs try to interview at least 10-15 people for each open spot, but if you only have 1 then you want your rank list to be a little bit longer.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,
NON US IMG- need H1b
Applied to 70 programs for PCCM
4 posters and 2 oral presentation at CHEST/ ATS
8 pubs

2 interviews so far.
I received many emails saying that I won't be able to get an interview due to H1b, however I am willing to change my visa status to J1 as well.
Anyone who's requiring H1b has had same issues?

Thank you!
Hello, I am also a NON US IMG needing H1B sponsorship. I have not received of any emails specifically indicating that I wont be able to get an interview due to H1B.

Applied to 47 programs in total (32 PCCM and 15 CCM). Rejections straight up say we are unable to extend/offer an interview. I've not received a single rejection stating it was because of my visa status. Did you apply to J1 programs as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I am also a NON US IMG needing H1B sponsorship. I have not received of any emails specifically indicating that I wont be able to get an interview due to H1B.

Applied to 47 programs in total (32 PCCM and 15 CCM). Rejections straight up say we are unable to extend/offer an interview. I've not received a single rejection stating it was because of my visa status. Did you apply to J1 programs as well?
Yes I have applied to 40 programs sponsoring J1 visa as well.

Just looking at the spreadsheet… are people seriously planning on going on 18-26 interviews???

I know there’s no travel necessary, but how do you have that many days off? Or even logistically schedule that many without having to double book dates?

Just looking at the spreadsheet… are people seriously planning on going on 18-26 interviews???

I know there’s no travel necessary, but how do you have that many days off? Or even logistically schedule that many without having to double book dates?
It must be very difficult. I had to reject an invite because they only offered one day and I can't reschedule the other interview I have on the same day. So, not sure how folks can be doing 26 interviews. I suspect they had 26 invites, but in the end they will cancel some, which is a unfortunate for the rest of us who are hoping for more interviews. Hopefully they will start declining soon and spaces will free up.

What do we think is going on with programs who haven't sent invitations yet? Is there any strategy to this? The later they wait, the fewer dates they can offer, and the more likely applicants will have to decline or cancel other interviews to accommodate, right? Seems strange to me. Maybe @Doctor Bob can help me understand this?

Hi, did anyone get an interview at Rochester General Hospital.
The Eras message did not have a reply button, so I’m confused how to get in touch with them.

Tried emailing the coordinators email on the website but no response so far

I heard of a friend who just got 1 I think this week. I am also very hopeful but haven't heard anything. Starting to worry. Did you get an interview?

So I haven't heard from a couple programs yet that I'm most interested in. Should I reach out? What do I say? Does anyone else do this?

What do we think is going on with programs who haven't sent invitations yet? Is there any strategy to this? The later they wait, the fewer dates they can offer, and the more likely applicants will have to decline or cancel other interviews to accommodate, right? Seems strange to me. Maybe @Doctor Bob can help me understand this?
At this point in the season, if a place hasn't sent out interviews then they're probably entirely filling from within.

What is the safe number of interviews needed to almost guarantee a match ? I’ve heard in previous years the number varies from anywhere from 8-10 but since it’s more competitive this year some people say 12 is a safe number. Anyone have any insight ?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the safe number of interviews needed to almost guarantee a match ? I’ve heard in previous years the number varies from anywhere from 8-10 but since it’s more competitive this year some people say 12 is a safe number. Anyone have any insight ?
We will find out on the 1st of December. It would be almost impossible to say at this point.The number also depends on whether you are American MD vs DO VS IMG and then on your visa status so...

Anyone interview with GWU for CCM? My interview is tomorrow but they haven't sent me anything (link, documents, etc). Not sure what else to do... :(

Anyone interview with GWU for CCM? My interview is tomorrow but they haven't sent me anything (link, documents, etc). Not sure what else to do... :(
For PCCM they sent me an e-mail the day before with the info. It was only one link. Check your e-mail first. If you didn't get one, I suggest you email the program coordinator tonight and call her first thing in the morning. . Good luck

Hi guys! I am a US MD from a small southern university at a mid-teir university program now. I am a current PGY-2 and plan to apply for PCCM next year. Step stores 216/246/226. My research experience is limited.

Med School: Research Abstract
PGY1: Grand Rounds, 2x Posters

By the end of PGY-2 year, I plan to have 3-4 more posters and 1 case report, along with one research project (that may still be in progress). It just seems that project time / resources (attending wise) have been quite limited due to COVID.

I should be able to obtain decent letters of recommendation. I will be limited geographically to the Southeast, so my question is what are some other things that I can do to increase my chances of matching next year?

Last edited:
Im not sure of I should feel safe or not.
Im a usmd applying for ccm from a pulmonary only program. I got 4 invites in august but have heard nothing since then. I thought as a pulm fellow id have an easier time but maybe not. Im hoping to get at least a couple more. Are more invites still likely at this point?

Hey all would appreciate any insight or rankings of the following programs for my list. For my own preferences, location doesn't really matter, wondering about relative prestige and strength of programs. Looking for about 2/3 clinical 1/3 research in a program, don't foresee myself being a full time researcher and want strong clinical training. Torn between private practice and more of a clinician educator role

(In no particular order)
Temple
Mt. Sinai Morningside/West
U Rochester
Northwell/Long Island Jewish
Montefiore
UNC
UCSD
Georgetown
UConn
GW
Stony Brook
Rutgers-NJMS

Thanks in advance!

Edit: More specifics and preferences in terms of programs-would prefer being primary on airway, programs with strong ECMO training. Transplant is a plus, but not necessarily a dealbreaker. Would appreciate strong procedural training as well with exposure to IP. For subspecialties, could not care less about CF, but undecided on other subspecialties i.e pulmonary vascular, sarcoid. Not enough exposure at my residency to know

Last edited:
So I haven't heard from a couple programs yet that I'm most interested in. Should I reach out? What do I say? Does anyone else do this?
I did that for a couple that I am especially interested in. I haven't heard any response - I think the PD's / coordinators are probably swamped with emails as it is, and I'm not sure that it would be effective or not. I do have a friend who got a couple of interviews after doing so, but I'm not sure that it helps much to be honest

I reached out to my top program and a couple of weeks later got an interview. I also reached out to a few other programs and did not get interviews. I figure might as well try, you’ve got nothing to lose at this point.

Hey all would appreciate any insight or rankings of the following programs for my list. For my own preferences, location doesn't really matter, wondering about relative prestige and strength of programs. Looking for about 2/3 clinical 1/3 research in a program, don't foresee myself being a full time researcher and want strong clinical training with some research time though

(In no particular order)
Temple
Mt. Sinai Morningside/West
U Rochester
Northwell/Long Island Jewish
Montefiore
UNC
UCSD
Georgetown
UConn
GW
Stony Brook
Rutgers-NJMS

Thanks in advance!
Congrats on a great list of programs. What I've come to realize this season is that the programs I'm interested in are all so different and what makes one program "better" than another is so individualized. A good deal will depend on what your career goals are. Do you want to work in an ICU forever? Then consider programs that have stronger airway training or ecmo exposure (or at least have a mechanism built in to help you get those experiences). Want an exposure to CF? Transplant? Do you want to care for a specific population? I think you get my point.

In terms of rigorous clinical training, and prestige/ name recognition would anyone help me with the order?
Location doesn’t really matter, airway isn’t something i crave. I want to deal mainly with advance lung diseases.
I understand the point of different people having different needs and opinions, but with virtual interviews and most of them being pretty short, i would love any other opinions and or people who know these programs

1) University of Alabama
2) Temple
3) MCW
4) U Mass
5) Montefiore Einstein
6) Thomas Jefferson
7) Uni Nebaraska
8) Uni Arkansas little rock
9) St louis (SLU)
10)University at Buffalo
11) Einstein Philly
12 Uni westchester NYC
13 Tower reading
14 UIC peoria

any insights would be welcome

Last year I had 10 PCCM interviews and failed to match. It was very frustrating. DO with mediocre steps and no significant presentations, for reference. YMMV.

Congrats on a great list of programs. What I've come to realize this season is that the programs I'm interested in are all so different and what makes one program "better" than another is so individualized. A good deal will depend on what your career goals are. Do you want to work in an ICU forever? Then consider programs that have stronger airway training or ecmo exposure (or at least have a mechanism built in to help you get those experiences). Want an exposure to CF? Transplant? Do you want to care for a specific population? I think you get my point.
Thank you! Yeah a lot of that makes sense, but just given that interviews are virtual and it's sometimes hard to get a sense of the program from limited interaction, I was hoping some others would have opinions about certain programs vs others. I edited my post to go into a little more detail about what I'm looking for in terms of a career-would prefer being primary on airway, programs with strong ECMO training. Transplant is a plus, but not necessarily a dealbreaker. Would appreciate strong procedural training as well with exposure to IP. For subspecialties, could not care less about CF, but undecided on other subspecialties i.e pulmonary vascular, sarcoid. Not enough exposure at my residency to know. Torn between private practice and more of a clinician educator role

Thank you! Yeah a lot of that makes sense, but just given that interviews are virtual and it's sometimes hard to get a sense of the program from limited interaction, I was hoping some others would have opinions about certain programs vs others. I edited my post to go into a little more detail about what I'm looking for in terms of a career-would prefer being primary on airway, programs with strong ECMO training. Transplant is a plus, but not necessarily a dealbreaker. Would appreciate strong procedural training as well with exposure to IP. For subspecialties, could not care less about CF, but undecided on other subspecialties i.e pulmonary vascular, sarcoid. Not enough exposure at my residency to know. Torn between private practice and more of a clinician educator role
That is great and I mean there is a tab on the spread sheet for program impressions. If you're asking for impressions why dont you share yours on the spreadsheet as others have done so to help?

Reactions: 1 users
56 programs applied. 4 Interviews. I don’t think I’ll be getting more invitations. Best of luck.

Does anyone have any idea what UF / Shands is doing in terms of invites for PCCM. Only one box checked today.

Anyone interview at Memorial Sloan Kettering? How many days prior to the scheduled interview date did they send out the schedule? The PC has not responded to any of my emails.

Are basically all invites out? or does anyone expect another slight surge towards the end if people cancel interviews? Does anyone know what typically happens during the interview cycle

Anyone interview at Memorial Sloan Kettering? How many days prior to the scheduled interview date did they send out the schedule? The PC has not responded to any of my emails.
I have an interview there on the 7th of October. Are you interviewing on the same date?

Anyone interviewed at:
Mt Sinai CCM NYC
Mercy St Louis Mizzou CCM

Thanks

Hello everyone, I had a very weird experience and I need some help and suggestions. I applied for both cmm and PCCM at the same program. it's a very reputable program. I got PCCM invite before CCM invite. Well I accepted both of them because it's very competitive to get matched into PCCM and I kept CCM as my backup. I told the program that I have been invited to your pccm as well and I'll rank it higher because that's my primary interest ( I had to disclose it because pccm PD is also an associate PD for CCM). When I had my pccm interview it was a weird experience. First of all the PD was not good at hiding her expressions and I could see that she was not happy interviewing me at all. Secondly the CCM PD was on the panel of interviewers and she didn't interview me and said to the program coordinator that I have already interviewed him before. Third while having conversation with the program coordinator she said you can leave early and don't need to stick around for fellow session because you've already been here for the interview and then she also said there are people out there waiting for interviews (referring to the fact that I had two with them).

Currently I'm just shocked how a reputable program can do that to an applicant. First of all it's their fault to extend both interviews and then they didn't respect my time and made me feel like I have no worth.

Dr. Bob, whats your opinion about it? did i make a mistake to apply for both programs? i am pretty sure it is not unusual.

As the season comes closer and closer to an end how are you guys thinking of you ROL? Are you guys choosing prestige over location or vice versa. Not sure if I am leaning PP vs Academia but definitely want exposure so that whatever I choose in the future I’m not blindsided.

Having a hard time choosing amazing training and working with supportive world renown faculty and not my preference in city vs great city with supportive/friendly faculty but not on same tier as the other program (definitely good training but just not as good based in subjective opinion and US news rankings top 10 vs top 30)

Any input would be great thanks!

As the season comes closer and closer to an end how are you guys thinking of you ROL? Are you guys choosing prestige over location or vice versa. Not sure if I am leaning PP vs Academia but definitely want exposure so that whatever I choose in the future I’m not blindsided.

Having a hard time choosing amazing training and working with supportive world renown faculty and not my preference in city vs great city with supportive/friendly faculty but not on same tier as the other program (definitely good training but just not as good based in subjective opinion and US news rankings top 10 vs top 30)

My feeling on this matter is that you only train once so go for the faculty/ training…if programs are essentially the same then i would look at peripherals such as city/ night life/col.
One thing though US news and ranking is NO barometer of training, its ranking is largely influenced by patients perception.
My problem is after my top 3 from progs 4-8 don’t really know which program is well known and due to Covid-19 virtually all programs look the same
Hope this helps in your decision making.

My feeling on this matter is that you only train once so go for the faculty/ training…if programs are essentially the same then i would look at peripherals such as city/ night life/col.
One thing though US news and ranking is NO barometer of training, its ranking is largely influenced by patients perception.
My problem is after my top 3 from progs 4-8 don’t really know which program is well known and due to Covid-19 virtually all programs look the same
Hope this helps in your decision making.
Yeah that's what I think I am leaning towards too in terms of the training but what if the other program with the city is where you think you will settle in long term since it's closer to family? Thanks for your input

Hello everyone, I had a very weird experience and I need some help and suggestions. I applied for both cmm and PCCM at the same program. it's a very reputable program. I got PCCM invite before CCM invite. Well I accepted both of them because it's very competitive to get matched into PCCM and I kept CCM as my backup. I told the program that I have been invited to your pccm as well and I'll rank it higher because that's my primary interest ( I had to disclose it because pccm PD is also an associate PD for CCM). When I had my pccm interview it was a weird experience. First of all the PD was not good at hiding her expressions and I could see that she was not happy interviewing me at all. Secondly the CCM PD was on the panel of interviewers and she didn't interview me and said to the program coordinator that I have already interviewed him before. Third while having conversation with the program coordinator she said you can leave early and don't need to stick around for fellow session because you've already been here for the interview and then she also said there are people out there waiting for interviews (referring to the fact that I had two with them).

Currently I'm just shocked how a reputable program can do that to an applicant. First of all it's their fault to extend both interviews and then they didn't respect my time and made me feel like I have no worth.

Dr. Bob, whats your opinion about it? did i make a mistake to apply for both programs? i am pretty sure it is not unusual.
If the vibe was that uncomfortable you’re probably best off not ranking them

Hmm. That does sound like an odd interview day.
People always ask about whether PDs within an institution talk and compare applicant lists. Generally no, but if there's a PCCM and CCM program, then you can bet that they compare lists. They may even be linked in the Program Director WorkStation in ERAS so they can very easily see who applied to both.
Neither wants to be a backup and get "the leftovers". They want people who genuinely want to be there. CCM for sure; we don't want people who will just be frustrated PCCM applicants. We'd prefer to get people who want CCM as a primary goal.

As an aside, down the road, there's likely to be a greater and greater division between CCM and PCCM; if your goal in the world is to be an intensivist do CCM; if you want to be an office doc do pulm, and if you want to be a researcher do PCCM; someone who splits their time is never going to be as good at either as someone who devotes all their time to that field. That's the fallacy in the "PCCM trained people are better intensivists" argument.

Anyways, back to your experience. Not sure why the PCCM PD would be grumpy that you applied to CCM. That's a pretty common scenario. The CCM PD might be grumpy that you applied to PCCM because then they know they're a backup. As to why they would extend interview offers from both programs and then grump about it on interview day... not sure. But it sounds like you got a good look into the culture and personalities you'd be working with if you went there. If it was me, after a day like that they'd drop off my rank list, regardless of reputation.

USN ranking shouldn't have any impact on your decision; that's a marketing tool, not an actual ranking of educational quality.
If you want to be a researcher, or if your goal is to work at one of a handful of big-name universities, then the name of the place you trained matters.
If you want to be a good intensivist then the personalities, volume, autonomy, etc... those matter more.

I often use Mayo Clinic as a good example. It is an ivory tower of academia for sure. But there are so many high-profile subsubsubspecialists who are very very involved in their patient's care, and "patient experience" is very very important to them (people don't pay a lot of money to go to Mayo to then get the same level of patient care they get at Podunk Regional)... So if you are the "I want to learn to be the captain of the ship" kind of person, then that might not be the best place for you. If you want to get NIH grants down the road or work for a big university system on a tenure track, then it would be a great place to go. Mayo also gets all the zebras and the subzebra variants. People don't get transferred across state lines for garden variety sepsis management.

A name is a name. You have to decide if it's the right traning environment for -you-. Big name places aren't always the best; it's personality dependent. And at the same time if you're going to constantly chafe at being at a place nobody outside of the city has ever heard of, then -that- place isn't right for you. Nobody can answer this "what should my ROL be" question other than you.

Reactions: 6 users
Yeah that's what I think I am leaning towards too in terms of the training but what if the other program with the city is where you think you will settle in long term since it's closer to family? Thanks for your input
Well depends how far apart are they in your ranking i.e if my best training program is on number 1, and this other place you are talking about training wise (if i were not to consider city/ family) would still be a 2/3 i would probably rank the one which has decent training and family as my top choice, but were the degree of separation more like by 4-5 places i would forget everything else and just go for the training. As you can always move back to your city for a job later on in life.

Reactions: 1 users
Question: probably best for any PD or APD’s in the chat. Letters of intent or informing your number one that they are your number one? Positive? Negative? Neutral? Have heard rumblings that this can be seen as a red flag for some reason, but I also want to be transparent with how much I want to go to my first choice.

Question: probably best for any PD or APD’s in the chat. Letters of intent or informing your number one that they are your number one? Positive? Negative? Neutral? Have heard rumblings that this can be seen as a red flag for some reason, but I also want to be transparent with how much I want to go to my first choice.
I, too, would like to know this as well from any APD or PDs out there.

Also, would being board certified help as well? I recently found out I passed the ABIM earlier this week and was thinking of mentioning this to my number 1 program with hopes that it would help, seeing that they won't have to worry about me taking extra time off/electives to study and take the exam around that time of the year.

Neutral. We get so many of these that they don't have an effect. If you're ranking me #1 that's great, but it doesn't change how I make my rank list. All it means to me is (if you're telling the truth) that if I still have an open spot when the match gets to you then you'll be coming here.

Also, would being board certified help as well? I recently found out I passed the ABIM earlier this week and was thinking of mentioning this to my number 1 program with hopes that it would help, seeing that they won't have to worry about me taking extra time off/electives to study and take the exam around that time of the year.

Well it doesn't hurt. It's not a bad thing to email programs you interviewed at and give them updates like this. You ought to limit post-interview email updates to a program to one though; I've gotten monthly updates from applicants before and they're kind of annoying ("hey, just to let you know I had an abstract accepted"... "hey, just to let you know I got great evaluations from my CICU rotation" ... "hey, just to let you know I got great feedback from my faculty mentor on my family meeting skills this block").
At this point of the year, it wouldn't really do much to email programs that -didn't- offer you an interview with this kind of information.

Hi, would have anyone have an insight into these programs for purpose of Rank order list

Washington Hospital Center DC
WVU, Morgantown.
MCG, Georgia
Allegheny, Pittsburgh
Einstein, Philadelphia
Metro Health- Cleveland
Albany medical center

Was having difficulty deciding between them. If any of you have an insight and could help ranking them based on your experience ?
Looking for strong clinical and procedural training

Hi, would have anyone have an insight into these programs for purpose of Rank order list

Washington Hospital Center DC
WVU, Morgantown.
MCG, Georgia
Allegheny, Pittsburgh
Einstein, Philadelphia
Metro Health- Cleveland
Albany medical center

Was having difficulty deciding between them. If any of you have an insight and could help ranking them based on your experience ?
Looking for strong clinical and procedural training
WHC has excellent clinical training and fellows are very well trained. In addition, DMV area is great to live in. Overall I think these places are pretty comparable.

Same question as above. Any insight into Houston Methodist program?

It’s a private hospital which really impacts the autonomy and training; in both pulm and critical you will basically be assisting the attendings who run the show, very low autonomy and insufficient procedures in the critical care setting, and the pulm experience is pretty weak. Lots of turnover in leadership in last few years and serious deficiencies in training noted by recent fellows.

Still hope. I received 2 invites last week. One is a new program and one is existing. I assume the existing program was not satisfied with their first round of apps. I think the new program got a late start. So keep checking eras.

All-I've added 17 program impressions of my interviews so far. I hope they help people, and will add my final ones when done.

Reactions: 5 users