3.99/518 MCAT, CA resident, help greatly appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aidanticeraskin

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am new to SDN (so I apologize if this is being posted in the wrong forum) but would appreciate some help with my medical school list.
**i also copied the format of @alisonbechdel (thanks)
  1. cGPA and sGPA: 3.99
  2. MCAT: 518 (132/126/131/129)
  3. California resident
  4. over-represented (white)
  5. Clinical: 2000 hours (medical assistant); expecting another 2000 hours
  6. Research: 600 hours biochemistry wet lab, 200 hours in virtual research lab; 1 presentation no pubs (LOR from PI)
  7. Shadowing: 50 hours (ED and PCP)
  8. Volunteering: 800 hours in VA (200 in ultrasound clinic)
  9. leadership in transfer honors society, Kaplan MCAT instructor, head peer advisor, co-coordinator for ultrasound clinic with UCSD SOM, teaching assistant for organization focusing on serving underserved college students
  10. used AP credit for stats only (did not take psych)
  11. was born and raised in a rural community (talked about this in personal statement)- plans of moving back to rural community
  12. REALLY want to go to school on east coast (just want to experience something new... tired of 70 and sunny all the time)
  13. if anybody has any tips, please help me out!!

1. UC San Diego
  2. UCLA
  3. UC Davis (ACE-PC)
  4. UCSF
  5. UC Irvine
  6. USC
  7. Harvard
  8. Georgetown
  9. UPenn
  10. Columbia
  11. Yale
  12. Stanford
  13. Boston University
  14. UMass (PURCH)
  15. Tufts (MAINE track)
  16. University of Wisconsin - Madison
  17. Dartmouth
  18. Northwestern
  19. University of Michigan - Ann Harbor
  20. Case Western
  21. NYU
  22. Cornell
  23. Kaiser
  24. Rush
  25. Loyola
  26. Brown
  27. Temple (St Lukes)
  28. Drexel
  29. Sidney Kimmel Thomas Jefferson (PSAP)
  30. Rosalind Franklin
  31. Penn State
  32. U Rochester

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Where did you grow up in California, and which medical schools are located closest to that area?

Why do you want to move to the East Coast? Do you want to stay focused on rural health as part of your purpose as a physician?

Reactions: 1 user
Where did you grow up in California, and which medical schools are located closest to that area?
Hello!

Grew up in the greater sacramento area. Close to UC Davis and Northstate. Dont really have an interest in northstate as I have heard less than ideal things about the program through mutual connections in the program.

I want to just be exposed to a different academic and physical environment. Yes, I would ideally like the program to expose me to rural aspects of medicine (but plan more on gaining this when in residency). Part of me just wants to explore and see what else there is to the world/medicine. The boston area stands out because of the rigorous academic environment and extended family living there.

Last edited: