WAMC: 518, 3.86, CA resident, ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sssalison

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a first time applicant hoping to get some eyes on my med school list as I'm currently in my gap year and don't have anyone to turn to regarding my chances. Any advice would truly be appreciated! I feel like I'm just working in a vacuum since all of my friends are delaying their apps another year :(

STATS
  1. Overall GPA 3.86, Science GPA 3.82, Honors all three years of undergrad (I graduated early), Cum Laude
  2. MCAT 518 (128/132/127/131), first attempt
  3. California resident
  4. ORM female
  5. T50 public undergrad, graduated June 2023
  6. [1800+ hrs] Paid clinical employment as medical assistant and surgical tech (ongoing, currently ~850 hrs)
  7. [1700+ hrs] Research experience
    1. [720 hrs] Neuroscience lab
      1. one first author poster presentation at local and national undergraduate research conferences
      2. $2800 as part of research program + conference funding stipend
    2. [860 hrs] Psychology behavioral research lab
    3. [130 hrs] Microbiology lab
      1. one publication in 9+ impact factor journal
      2. one second author poster presentation at local undergraduate research conference
  8. [240 hrs] Non-clinical volunteering
    1. [120 hrs] local fire department (ongoing, currently ~50 hrs)
    2. [120 hrs] hospital hospice program (ongoing, currently ~50 hrs)
  9. Other extracurriculars:
    1. [48 hrs] Publicity chair for pre-health club connecting students with healthcare professionals
    2. [35 hrs] peer tutor for neurobiology course
  10. [30 hrs] Shadowing a pediatric neurologist
MED SCHOOL LIST (so far):

NOTE: I'm really hoping not to take CASPER, but I am open to having my mind changed! I'm also not applying to Texas or Jesuit schools.

Reach
  1. Stanford
  2. Kaiser
  3. UCSF
  4. Mayo
  5. NYU (based on my GPA/MCAT)
  6. UC Davis (based on regional bias, I don't live near the Sacramento area)
High
  1. UCLA
  2. UCSD
  3. Emory
  4. Mount Sinai
  5. Ohio State
  6. USC
Mid
  1. NYU Long Island
  2. Thomas Jefferson
  3. Albert Einstein
  4. UC Irvine
  5. U of Cincinnati
Low
  1. U of Arizona Phoenix
  2. SUNY Downstate
  3. Oakland University
  4. California University of Science and Medicine
Again, any advice would truly be so helpful, I feel like I have no true frame of reference given all the competing information out there. Thank you to everyone in advance :D

Members don't see this ad.

You're a very competitive applicant. However, your school list could use some additions. Not taking Casper doesn't limit you too much, but I suggest taking it so you can add mid tiers that might help if you don't get into a school that doesn't require Casper. It seems that top schools don't require Casper.

If you don't want to take Casper, you could add the following schools:

Duke
Yale
Vanderbilt
USF Morsani
Dartmouth
Brown
Cornell
Iowa
Washington U STL
Rochester
Mayo
Hopkins

The following schools require some aspect of the Altius Suite:
Drexel
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Wake Forest
U Michigan
Hofstra
Miami

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to the forums.

Check my post to see who is requiring Casper or PREview. I don't think Michigan was using Casper, Duet or PREview.

Keep building your non-clinical volunteering. What's your purpose and mission fit?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're a very competitive applicant. However, your school list could use some additions. Not taking Casper doesn't limit you too much, but I suggest taking it so you can add mid tiers that might help if you don't get into a school that doesn't require Casper. It seems that top schools don't require Casper.

If you don't want to take Casper, you could add the following schools:

Duke
Yale
Vanderbilt
USF Morsani
Dartmouth
Brown
Cornell
Iowa
Washington U STL
Rochester
Mayo
Hopkins

The following schools require some aspect of the Altius Suite:
Drexel
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Wake Forest
U Michigan
Hofstra
Miami
Wow, thanks very much! I didn't want to overload my list with too many "high-tier" schools haha, but I do see your point. There are also some names on here new to me! I will definitely look into them. Thanks again :)

Welcome to the forums.

Check my post to see who is requiring Casper or PREview. I don't think Michigan was using Casper, Duet or PREview.

Keep building your non-clinical volunteering. What's your purpose and mission fit?
Thanks, excited to be here! I definitely will continue with trying to up my volunteering, currently on the lookout for more longer-term opportunities XD.

Re: Purpose and mission fit, I'm still figuring that out myself but looking at research/specialty schools in an urban/suburban area with diverse patient + student populations. I'd like to do clinical research in an environment that genuinely cares about healthy equity, DEI, etc. :)

Your shadowing a wee bit low (50 hours is target) but I wouldn't let that dissuade you from applying. Your list looks good. How do you feel about LORs and your writing?

Your shadowing a wee bit low (50 hours is target) but I wouldn't let that dissuade you from applying. Your list looks good. How do you feel about LORs and your writing?
Thanks for the advice! Yes, I agree. I'm hoping my experience in a paid clinical setting will help offset that a little, but I have also asked about shadowing one of the hospice physicians at the program I volunteer at.

I have 3 LORs already written that I believe will be strong (neuroscience lab PI, psychology lab PI, and cardiologist I currently work with) and 2 from science professors still pending. I have faith in my writing; I'm a big reader and plan to include my book review blog as one of my hobbies :)

A semi-related question: I've sent quarterly updates to both science professors on my continued interest in applying to medical school (as I graduated last year and don't live near campus anymore) but haven't had a response from either professor since they originally committed in writing (via email) to the LOR (which was last year). Should I be worried at this point? I understand they're busy and don't want to bug them!

Thanks for your response!

Thanks for the advice! Yes, I agree. I'm hoping my experience in a paid clinical setting will help offset that a little, but I have also asked about shadowing one of the hospice physicians at the program I volunteer at.

I have 3 LORs already written that I believe will be strong (neuroscience lab PI, psychology lab PI, and cardiologist I currently work with) and 2 from science professors still pending. I have faith in my writing; I'm a big reader and plan to include my book review blog as one of my hobbies :)

A semi-related question: I've sent quarterly updates to both science professors on my continued interest in applying to medical school (as I graduated last year and don't live near campus anymore) but haven't had a response from either professor since they originally committed in writing (via email) to the LOR (which was last year). Should I be worried at this point? I understand they're busy and don't want to bug them!

Thanks for your response!
Just to clarify, it's been about a year since you last heard from them? If so, I would maybe be a little concerned to be honest. Do you have other means of contacting them? Maybe consider sending 2 emails a week until they get back to you since it's now crunch time?

I'd definitely start working towards preparing other letters to substitute for them.

Reactions: 1 users
Just to clarify, it's been about a year since you last heard from them? If so, I would maybe be a little concerned to be honest. Do you have other means of contacting them? Maybe consider sending 2 emails a week until they get back to you since it's now crunch time?

Thank you the advice, I wanted to make sure I wasn’t being neurotic about deadlines! I think you were my lucky charm: I just heard back from one professor and just re-emailed the other asking for a timeline. I’m hopeful as generally the other professor is very organized!

Reactions: 1 users
I'd definitely start working towards preparing other letters to substitute for them.

Thanks for responding! I agree that would be best, I just don’t have anyone in mind right now that would be able to write a STRONG letter but I just received a response from one and the other is generally very organized, if not very responsive. Keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks again for the advice.