2023-2024 Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the prematch A earlier today! Interviewed 1/5. Is there a FB group/GroupMe for accepted students?
CONGRATS!!! do we think this was the last wave :(

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
+OOS A yesterday! Call around 4 pm EST, interviewed 10/6

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Which email should we contact if we cannot attend one of the open houses anymore? I tried to see if I could cancel my registration on event brite but couldnt find an option to do so, but if anyone knows how pls lmk!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You may enter your payment information and then be charged a variable amount depending on your history. I did not see anyone get charged with the full $500.

My son was also charged (and paid) the $500, but we have moved around a bit- so he guessed the number of locations/states we have lived in may have made the background check more detailed.

Was the $500 charged completely to the bank or is it pending? The payment went through for me, pended, and then charged like $40 in the end instead of $500.

Interesting. It’s still pending, maybe it will be lowered eventually.

Reactions: 1 user
Do we think there will be another wave of pre-matches next week?

Do we think there will be another wave of pre-matches next week?
I interviewed on 1/5 and they explicitly said that there would only be one more wave of prematches before Match Day.

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed on 1/5 and they explicitly said that there would only be one more wave of prematches before Match Day.
It did happen last week according to postings on this thread.

Was the $500 charged completely to the bank or is it pending? The payment went through for me, pended, and then charged like $40 in the end instead of $500.

You were right! When the charge went through it was lowered ($150). Much, much better! Thank you!

• Love
Hi guys! :) Does anyone know when OOS students who have not had a pre-match are alerted of their status? Is it the same day as in-state students match day on Feb 16th? I interviewed in Oct

Hi guys! :) Does anyone know when OOS students who have not had a pre-match are alerted of their status? Is it the same day as in-state students match day on Feb 16th? I interviewed in Oct
**According to SDN** Last year they accepted a few OOS people on the Monday and Tuesday of the week of match day. Match day was a Friday last year and is this year too, so personally, I have my eyes and hopes on February 12th/13th (plus that whole week in general).
From my understanding, if OOS isn't accepted that week, and if IS do not match, then everyone else is automatically put on the waitlist (which they state is not ranked on BCM website--I believe).
Hope that helps, I'm right there with you hoping and praying for an acceptance!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
**According to SDN** Last year they accepted a few OOS people on the Monday and Tuesday of the week of match day. Match day was a Friday last year and is this year too, so personally, I have my eyes and hopes on February 12th/13th (plus that whole week in general).
From my understanding, if OOS isn't accepted that week, and if IS do not match, then everyone else is automatically put on the waitlist (which they state is not ranked on BCM website--I believe).
Thank you SO much, that was so detailed and so, so helpful. Fingers crossed, we got this <3

what does an unranked waitlist look like? does that mean it’s first come first serve or how else would they decide who to offer openings to?

what does an unranked waitlist look like? does that mean it’s first come first serve or how else would they decide who to offer openings to?
1706126249068.png

Blurb from MSAR. Pretty sure that they match candidates (which to my understanding is if low SES URM with research withdraws, they try to replace with another low SES URM with research on the waitlist)

View attachment 381539
Blurb from MSAR. Pretty sure that they match candidates (which to my understanding is if low SES URM with research withdraws, they try to replace with another low SES URM with research on the waitlist)
oh **** rlly, do all med schools do an unranked waitlist or baylor only. thats a very interesting policy

Is there an incoming students' group or anything we can join for questions about housing and stuff?

temple put on a great open house today, kind of had that “click” moment for me that I’ve been hoping for at a campus tour! @MCAThiccy I don’t know if you were one of the students there today, but it was such a great opportunity and sold me on the campus, thank you !!!

temple put on a great open house today, kind of had that “click” moment for me that I’ve been hoping for at a campus tour! @MCAThiccy I don’t know if you were one of the students there today, but it was such a great opportunity and sold me on the campus, thank you !!!
From the bottom of my heart, I’m very honored that you had a positive experience. Yes, I was in attendance and I was in the panel. I hope that the students showed their compassion and commitment to patient care and to the further development of the student life at Temple.
I cannot speak for the institution, but I can speak for myself: I am very glad that you were able to come to Temple and learn about our school and campus. I’m glad that you had a great and positive experience!

And, if I may ask, what were some of the highlights or reasons that made you click during this campus tour?

And, if I may ask, what were some of the highlights or reasons that made you click during this campus tour?

The major thing that clicked for me was the culture at the Temple campus, which is a big determinant for me personally. I know I would thrive somewhere with a community that resonated with me and where I would feel supported to pursue my interests. I think it showed so clearly to me because of the personal nature of the tour. The tour felt more intimate and genuine. It was clear that people worked hard to put the event together and commit their time but the tour didn’t feel overly produced or unnatural and there was so much time to just talk and be normal with everyone - which gave me great insight into the personality of the students there. And the fact that 1/4 of the students were there on the panel is such a great sample size of opinions imo!!

Also, there was a lot of great insight into the curriculum and other choices/changes being made to the school. I want to be at a program that is evolving with medicine and anticipating how the learning process can and should change. Baylor is doing that at both campuses of course, but it was great to hear more about the reasoning behind the changes from Dr. Cable.

Going into this, my concerns were the newness of the program and the location (I’ve always lived in big cities), but these faded away when I heard about the perks of such a small class in terms of personal connection, ample opportunities, and school reception to my opinion/feedback. On the panel, I believe a student said that at a lot of older campuses already have traditions that you get to enjoy and follow, but here you would have to be a part of creating them. That’s probably something you either love or hate, but personally I like the idea of getting to be a part of that journey at Baylor Temple.

And any of my assumptions going in that Temple would be too rural / boring ended up being frankly incorrect. For me, I heard about different extracurricular opportunities related to my interests / the cool spots in the area / proximity to other cities / group activities and social events that are possible because of the smaller class size. This ties back to the culture, any place ends up feeling like home to me when I’m enjoying what I’m doing and I think I would enjoy being a student there.

This was such a ramble honestly and it was hard to precisely put the feeling I got into words, but to sum it up - the program seems like one where I would thrive due to the personality of the culture and the nature of the Baylor curriculum and how it is supported and carried out at the Temple campus. Obviously, I have to wait for match day and who knows if I would be lucky enough to match, but this made ranking much clearer for me at the very least!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I just wanted to say that whenever I give an open house, I don’t do paperwork. I say what I say, and I feel what I say. Often times, I cry when I speak to the applicant. For me, personally, I feel that every medical student should show respect and love to the patient. I don’t read off of pieces of paper. If I feel what I say, I will say what I feel. I legitimately love, Temple. Sometimes, when I speak about Temple, I burst into tears. I cry, because I feel compassionate about patient care. My job is to convince you to say hey, i’m not in Houston, but I am receiving exceptional education and care. You became medical students not for the money, but because you care about the patient. A physician is not determined by where they received their education, but what they do with their education.
As long as you care for the patient as they were your family members, you will do well in this. I’m crying Right now, but I would haven’t no other way. I believe in what I say and I say what I believe in.
Temple is not a ghetto and it is not somewhere where other applicants are thrown into. Temple is for applicants who love their patients.
I am very proud of being a Temple student. I am very proud of being a Baylor student.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
(This is for IS) So, Baylor accepted 230 people last year, offered ~70 prematches (prob around 40 are IS) (or something similar i've seen earlier in this thread), so that leaves 190 spots for about 660 interviewees. If we say that maybe 100-150 of those ranked another school higher and either already prematched (UTSW) or matched to another school, there are around 190 spots for 510-560 interviewees and in addition to that there's usually a little WL movement (20-30 people). I'm kinda just making this up as I go but for In state, those who rank Baylor 1, there is around a ~215/535 (40%) chance of matching? Does this look right @wysdoc

I just wanted to say that whenever I give an open house, I don’t do paperwork. I say what I say, and I feel what I say. Often times, I cry when I speak to the applicant. For me, personally, I feel that every medical student should show respect and love to the patient. I don’t read off of pieces of paper. If I feel what I say, I will say what I feel. I legitimately love, Temple. Sometimes, when I speak about Temple, I burst into tears. I cry, because I feel compassionate about patient care. My job is to convince you to say hey, i’m not in Houston, but I am receiving exceptional education and care. You became medical students not for the money, but because you care about the patient. A physician is not determined by where they received their education, but what they do with their education.
As long as you care for the patient as they were your family members, you will do well in this. I’m crying Right now, but I would haven’t no other way. I believe in what I say and I say what I believe in.
Temple is not a ghetto and it is not somewhere where other applicants are thrown into. Temple is for applicants who love their patients.
I am very proud of being a Temple student. I am very proud of being a Baylor student.
Just to be sure @MCAThiccy - never cry in front of a patient - they might start thinking life and death. I dont want my doctor looking sad or shedding tears in front of me.

(This is for IS) So, Baylor accepted 230 people last year, offered ~70 prematches (prob around 40 are IS) (or something similar i've seen earlier in this thread), so that leaves 190 spots for about 660 interviewees. If we say that maybe 100-150 of those ranked another school higher and either already prematched (UTSW) or matched to, there are around 190 spots for 510-560 interviewees and in addition to that there's usually a little WL movement (20-30 people). I'm kinda just making this up as I go but for In state, those who rank Baylor 1, there is around a ~215/535 (40%) chance of matching? Does this look right @wyscoc
We can't make a prediction exactly like this, because we also have to take into consideration which applicants Baylor really liked and which ones will be among the students they rank highly enough to match.
If you love love love Baylor and rank it #1, but you fall at position number 499 on their student list, you are unlikely to match at Baylor.

We can't make a prediction exactly like this, because we also have to take into consideration which applicants Baylor really liked and which ones will be among the students they rank highly enough to match.
If you love love love Baylor and rank it #1, but you fall at position number 499 on their student list, you are unlikely to match at Baylor.
Rip that's gonna unknowingly be some of us

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
@wysdoc Do you know if Baylor typically offers scholarships when pre-matching or not until later? I know UT Southwestern does at admission but have not heard about Baylor.

Just to be sure @MCAThiccy - never cry in front of a patient - they might start thinking life and death. I dont want my doctor looking sad or shedding tears in front of me.
@MCAThiccy I’m fine with my physician showing emotion - as long as it’s not interfering with me receiving the best care. In fact, I’d probably prefer it as it would let me trust that physician more.

• Care
Does anyone know what the clinical training sites are for the Temple campus? I tried looking on the BCM website, and it looks like they only included the TMC training sites. I am concerned that it would not be possible to see the same variety of pathology and cases in Temple when compared to the TMC.

Rationale: My main concern with this is that Baylor has switched to a new 1-year preclinical curriculum. Based on their changes, clinical training will play a really big role in cementing the concepts learned during the first year. I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the volume of patients seen and the variety of cases seen will have a dramatic impact on the quality of clinical training.

Last edited: