2020-2021 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also got the "On Hold" email when my MCAT was missing
Same here! In case anyone else is on hold, the email says "For faster turn around, we suggest you send us a message when you believe the hold has been satisfied." So make sure to check the portal and send a message around when your scores/letters/etc. will be available, so they will see it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What's so weird to me is didn't their website say not to wait until your mcat score to send in your secondary? Kind of strange to say that and then just put everyone on hold until their score comes in

What's so weird to me is didn't their website say not to wait until your mcat score to send in your secondary? Kind of strange to say that and then just put everyone on hold until their score comes in
A lot of schools do it this way, the only one I can think of that actually reviews your app without MCAT score is UMich. I think they just do it to give us more time with the essay prompts and other questions, and not penalize us for having a later MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
What were people's approach on the why BUSM essay? I took a more personal route and discussed my experiences growing up in similar communities and what I learned from that. However, people said that I should talk concretely about BU and not about my childhood. Feeling conflicted because I thought it was genuine and I didn't want to come off robotic with generic reasons to attend BU

What were people's approach on the why BUSM essay? I took a more personal route and discussed my experiences growing up in similar communities and what I learned from that. However, people said that I should talk concretely about BU and not about my childhood. Feeling conflicted because I thought it was genuine and I didn't want to come off robotic with generic reasons to attend BU

It is not a "why BUSM" essay. It asks why you are interested in getting an education in the greater Boston area. Then it asks how your previous experiences would prepare you for this environment.

Reactions: 1 users
It is not a "why BUSM" essay. It asks why you are interested in getting an education in the greater Boston area. Then it asks how your previous experiences would prepare you for this environment.
Thanks so much! I think you're right and I'll go with my gut. I really appreciate it

For anyone who hasn't logged in to the portal in a while, BU says they won't require the CASPer snapshot!

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
what do you think would considered "personal connection" to BU? Do you think this is limited to knowing specifically people at BU or BMC? (since it asks for name, department, and your relationship to them?)

what do you think would considered "personal connection" to BU? Do you think this is limited to knowing specifically people at BU or BMC? (since it asks for name, department, and your relationship to them?)
Yep, I think they use it in the literal sense of connection to a person.

how long did it take for people's letters to show up on the secondary? don't like how I can't submit this until then...

How long does it take for the status to change from "submitted" to "complete"? I am sure I completed all the sections and all materials are received.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long does it take for the status to change from "submitted" to "complete"? I am sure I completed all the sections and all materials are received.
took 2 days for me but this was in mid-July so could be a little longer now

I have a quick question about reference letters. For applicants currently in a graduate degree program they want a letter from a prof. The program is just starting and is remote because of COVID, so I feel that it is unrealistic to ask for one. Should I just explain this in the COVID section?

I have a quick question about reference letters. For applicants currently in a graduate degree program they want a letter from a prof. The program is just starting and is remote because of COVID, so I feel that it is unrealistic to ask for one. Should I just explain this in the COVID section?
YES

II! First one! OOS 519 3.93

Complete 7/20

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Is anyone on here interviewing tomorrow, and if so, have you received your zoom link yet?

Anyone else get an email from BU saying that they're behind on review?

I did not get that email. What did it say?

I think it's only for complete applicants. I was complete 7/20.

"It has been a few weeks since we sent you a notice indicating that your application was complete and had been referred to our Committee on Admissions for review. While our Committee is accustomed to reviewing a very large volume of applications, this year we have seen an unprecedented number of applications that have been completed early in the cycle. It appears that we will be able to interview only about 10% of our applicants this year, so these reviews are quite challenging. As a result, we are behind.

I regret the fact that we have not been able to take action on your application as yet, but I want to assure you that we are moving as quickly as we can and that there will be no penalty for the delay in our processing. Applicants who are selected for interview will be contacted via email. All interviews this year will be held virtually.

Please accept our apology for any inconvenience caused by our extended review of your file. We expect to complete our evaluation quite soon, and wish you success with all your applications."

"It has been a few weeks since we sent you a notice indicating that your application was complete and had been referred to our Committee on Admissions for review. While our Committee is accustomed to reviewing a very large volume of applications, this year we have seen an unprecedented number of applications that have been completed early in the cycle. It appears that we will be able to interview only about 10% of our applicants this year, so these reviews are quite challenging. As a result, we are behind.

I regret the fact that we have not been able to take action on your application as yet, but I want to assure you that we are moving as quickly as we can and that there will be no penalty for the delay in our processing. Applicants who are selected for interview will be contacted via email. All interviews this year will be held virtually.

Please accept our apology for any inconvenience caused by our extended review of your file. We expect to complete our evaluation quite soon, and wish you success with all your applications."
Weird I got nothing either.

Reactions: 11 users

I was complete on August 5th and haven't received that email. Yet.

Reactions: 2 users

Weird I got nothing either.
Yeah, nothing in my inbox. I was complete on 8/1, so a little bit after you, but you'd think that wouldn't matter all that much.

That's interesting that they'll be interviewing less applicants this year than before. I would have thought the opposite for most schools with virtual interviews

That's interesting that they'll be interviewing less applicants this year than before. I would have thought the opposite for most schools with virtual interviews
Well, more pre-meds stuck at home with extra time to apply means more competition.... is not that they are doing fewer interviews, is that because the application pool is larger, a smaller % will get interviews this year.

Reactions: 5 users
Whether in person or virtual, at the end of the day their admission staff and faculty still only have so much time they can devote to interviewing. So I guess I'm not that surprised.

What I'm more surprised by is -- isn't 10% somewhat typical for % of applicants interviewed? I wonder what % BUSM interviewed historically.

Whether in person or virtual, at the end of the day their admission staff and faculty still only have so much time they can devote to interviewing. So I guess I'm not that surprised.

What I'm more surprised by is -- isn't 10% somewhat typical for % of applicants interviewed? I wonder what % BUSM interviewed historically.

According to MSAR, last year BU interviewed 1015 applicants out of 9151 (this is including international students). That's ~11.1% and the email said "about 10%" so nothing is really changing.

I don't think schools will interview more applicants just because interview are virtual. More interviewees = more work for schools to sort through candidates. Schools are already pretty busy with COVID.

Last year they interviewed 1000 out of 9000 applicants so I suppose this isn't a huge departure.

Perhaps that email only went out to people that the adcoms havent laid eyes on yet?

Perhaps that email only went out to people that the adcoms havent laid eyes on yet?

or maybe even vice versa - it looks like a lot of us who didn't receive the email were complete later than OP

Was complete 7/15 with no e-mail, so.. :bucktooth:

Also didn't get the email, complete 8/17

No email and complete 7/22. Do we go full "19-20 Pittsburgh Thread" and speculate if the email is an indication of who will get an II?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
No email and complete 7/22. Do we go full "19-20 Pittsburgh Thread" and speculate if the email is an indication of who will get an II?

That sounds exhausting. Let's not and say we did.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone have a screenshot of the email? I haven’t seen anyone post a screenshot and I feel like only one person received it.....

Reactions: 4 users
Received the email in question this morning about delays