2020-2021 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All my supplemental sections of my application are completed with check-marks next to them, but when I acknowledge the terms and click submit an error appears and says "Failed to submit your Supplemental" so now I'm just sitting here with a completed application not able to do anything. This is probably the 4th technical issue I've had with their application system so I'm feeling pretty frustrated. If anyone had the same thing happen to them how did you resolve it? I contacted admissions but I'm not sure when they'll get back to me

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else getting the message "Failed to Submit Supplemental"
I just did! I messaged them about it but maybe it's a technical issue on their side that will be resolved soon... let's hope

Reactions: 1 users
just received the supplemental this morning (OOS)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just did! I messaged them about it but maybe it's a technical issue on their side that will be resolved soon... let's hope
Update: they did maintenance on the application portal an hour ago and now this problem has been resolved!

For this question: "have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application or your AMCAS application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section."

I was going to expand on my time as a music major and what I learned from it and yaddi yah. However, I realize that I already talk about music in my primary. It was in my personal statement a fair amount, as well as one of my most meaningful activities. I wonder if I should include what I wrote or just leave it blank since I already touched on it? I don't want to annoy them, by talking about music yet again.

Last edited:
Also how long are your "why Boston" essays? 3000 characters is a lot (more than half of the personal statement length!) and I'm not sure how much of that I need to use.

Also how long are your "why Boston" essays? 3000 characters is a lot (more than half of the personal statement length!) and I'm not sure how much of that I need to use.
I used around 2400. My general goal is about 75%+ of the allotted characters/words. I personally drew a lot of concrete examples/parallels to my personal experiences when I discussed why I'd like to learn here.

I used around 2400. My general goal is about 75%+ of the allotted characters/words. I personally drew a lot of concrete examples/parallels to my personal experiences when I discussed why I'd like to learn here.

Awesome. I was worried about the character count for this one, but when I started writing I found it easier than I thought!

Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?

Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?

There is an optional text box on the secondary. I haven't submitted yet so I'm not sure what the options are about submitting updates or notes after you second in your secondary.

Does anyone have tips on how to approach the Why BU/Underserved communities prompt? I have very minimal experience with underserved communities, my primary extracurricular volunteering was in a club to support students with disabilities and staffing programs at my local library.

For the humanities competencies I used my English, Spanish, History courses. I didn't include anthropology or philosophy because I didn't take those courses. I'm wondering if I need to include my music courses (theory, composition, performance, etc.) that I took? It doesn't seem to fall under the definition of humanities, but I'm not sure. Also what about psychology and economics? Those are social sciences so I probably don't need to include them?

I would contact their admissions office, but in my experience, it's been taking most offices a long time to reply. And when they do reply they kind of give you a non-answer.

For the humanities competencies I used my English, Spanish, History courses. I didn't include anthropology or philosophy because I didn't take those courses. I'm wondering if I need to include my music courses (theory, composition, performance, etc.) that I took? It doesn't seem to fall under the definition of humanities, but I'm not sure. Also what about psychology and economics? Those are social sciences so I probably don't need to include them?

I would contact their admissions office, but in my experience, it's been taking most offices a long time to reply. And when they do reply they kind of give you a non-answer.
I put my psychology classes in that category but now I’m realizing you’re right, that’s not really a humanities. Music definitely counts (and I forgot to put my class there, lol). Honestly I don’t think it’ll matter too much as long as you have the equivalent of ~1 year each of English and humanities, from their website example.

Members don't see this ad :)

I put psychology in the humanities section as well as philosophy and sociology classes. I would not include arts courses since they're separate from science and humanities. I wouldn't stress too much about what you put down for humanities because they specifically said that there are no "right" answer to those fields as long as you meet basic requirements. Just do what you think is best! (edit: psychology and sociology are usually recommended by medical schools so that's what justified me putting them in the humanities field).

I put psychology in the humanities section as well as philosophy and sociology classes. I would not include arts courses since they're separate from science and humanities. I wouldn't stress too much about what you put down for humanities because they specifically said that there are no "right" answer to those fields as long as you meet basic requirements. Just do what you think is best! (edit: psychology and sociology are usually recommended by medical schools so that's what justified me putting them in the humanities field).
This makes me feel much better haha. That was my reasoning for classifying psych as humanities as well, but looking up the definition of humanities, psych is never included :/ All the more reason to think adcoms won't care as long as you've taken SOME classes!

I wouldn't normall include psych and foreign languages as humanities, either, but this is from the BUSOM website: "Humanities covers a broad spectrum of courses for Boston University School of Medicine. Acceptable courses to fulfill our Humanities requirement include, but are not limited to: History, Sociology, Psychology, Philosophy, Art, Religious Studies and Foreign Language."

I wouldn't normall include psych and foreign languages as humanities, either, but this is from the BUSOM website: "Humanities covers a broad spectrum of courses for Boston University School of Medicine. Acceptable courses to fulfill our Humanities requirement include, but are not limited to: History, Sociology, Psychology, Philosophy, Art, Religious Studies and Foreign Language."

I looked, but I didn't see that online =[. I put a note saying "I did not include my numerous music courses as I was unsure if they were included in this competency."

Well, RIP to my chances.

For the Educational History prompt, it also gives us the option of talking about how COVID affected our activities in the same space. Did anyone answer both prompts in these 2000 characters? Or do you think it would be wiser to talk about COVID's effects in the additional info?

For the Educational History prompt, it also gives us the option of talking about how COVID affected our activities in the same space. Did anyone answer both prompts in these 2000 characters? Or do you think it would be wiser to talk about COVID's effects in the additional info?
If you're going to include something about COVID, I would talk about it in this section, not elsewhere, since it specifically mentions COVID here. I didn't say anything about COVID because I didn't have space and it wasn't that relevant for me.

If you're going to include something about COVID, I would talk about it in this section, not elsewhere, since it specifically mentions COVID here. I didn't say anything about COVID because I didn't have space and it wasn't that relevant for me.
Yeah that's a fair point. I only have around 150 char left and probably wouldnt be able to say anything important with that space anyways

Is anyone having trouble making an account? It keeps saying my email is already claimed? The only thing I can think of is that I had applied for undergrad there?

EDIT: it works now

Last edited:
Anyone know if Casper is required for review or just before decisions are made? Couldn't find it on the website.

Anyone know if Casper is required for review or just before decisions are made? Couldn't find it on the website.
I believe just for a final decision, but regardless after you submit your application they'll let you know if your application is on hold.

I think it’s required for review because I got an email saying my application is on hold until they get my Casper score.

For the core competencies, are you guys just listing out the names of the classes? Or did you explain them and write out complete sentences?

For the core competencies, are you guys just listing out the names of the classes? Or did you explain them and write out complete sentences?
I just listed them by course number/name. At the top of the core competencies section, they give several examples of how you can list classes or activities related to each subject. Hope this helps!

I don't know if anyone else experienced this problem. I created my BU account and clicked on the provided link for the supplemental application, but it keeps giving me an error message saying I don't have access to their application.

I don't know if anyone else experienced this problem. I created my BU account and clicked on the provided link for the supplemental application, but it keeps giving me an error message saying I don't have access to their application.
This happened to me too because I had a pre-existing student account as a BU student and things got mixed up. I contacted IT and they helped me figure it out. I recommend calling BU IT services tomorrow and asking them about it, they were super helpful. (617-353-4357)

Hi, is there anyone who is applying for MSTP? Can anyone help explain what they are looking for in their MD/Ph.D. prompt?
"Please provide a statement detailing your interest in the MD-PhD program and how you envision it supporting your long term goals. In this statement, please describe your qualifications and the objectives of your educational program, report on your prior research activities, teaching experience, publications, research presentations, independent studies, and membership in academic, professional, or honorary societies. It is important that you detail your own role in the research activities you list. If this is covered in your AMCAS Personal Statement, type "See AMCAS Personal Statement."
I feel like I explained my research experience in great detail in the AMCAS app. I am wondering if this can be a great place to discuss my future research plan.
Thanks

For the new prompt, are we supposed to talk about all 4 populations (publicly insured, people of color, immigrants, and low-income)? Or just focus on 1 or 2?
I think they are just listing some examples, and I would go for the ones that I have experience with.

This happened to me too because I had a pre-existing student account as a BU student and things got mixed up. I contacted IT and they helped me figure it out. I recommend calling BU IT services tomorrow and asking them about it, they were super helpful. (617-353-4357)
Thanks a lot! I ended up getting in touch with them and they said it should take a few days to resolve the situation, but then I should be able to submit the app.

would it be fine to put my diversity essay into the "additional info...strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine" prompt?

I wasn’t planning on writing anything for that one. For their other optional one, the narrative about educational timeline, I was planning on writing about my study abroad experience, but now they’ve combined it with covid. I don’t know if I should try to combine them, or just choose one over the other? Is anyone else having this problem?

I'm wondering the same thing... is it ok to combine both topics (COVID and educational timeline)? Or is it better to choose one?

I'm wondering the same thing... is it ok to combine both topics (COVID and educational timeline)? Or is it better to choose one?

I ended up deciding to just focus on my educational timeline one. Overall COVID didn’t have too much of an impact on me luckily, besides what happened to pretty much everyone, so I didn’t think I necessarily need to explain much about it, my application speaks for itself on that end. My educational timeline essay on the other hand does add some real value I think, so I’m going for that one. Maybe if the character limit was higher I’d go for both, but it just felt like too much to squeeze in

How long did it take for people's letters of rec to update on their application. I received the secondary last week, but my letters of rec are still not marked as received. They were uploaded on my AMCAS app prior to verification. Does this secondary just take a bit or should I reach out to the admissions office?

if my picture is stretched when I upload it...does that mean they'll see it stretched too? it literally won't let me delete/reupload

if my picture is stretched when I upload it...does that mean they'll see it stretched too? it literally won't let me delete/reupload
lol literally happened to me too idk why they dont allow a re upload. if you right click and open the pic in a new tab it shows up as normal so idk its just the "preview" thats messed up.

For the "educational history" prompt, it seems to me like they're specifically looking for people to describe formal experiences abroad like study abroad or global volunteering. Or "advanced training" in one of "sports, art, music."

I'm having a hard time brainstorming something for this prompt, so if someone has ideas other than the examples they've given and would be kind enough to share them, I'd appreciate it.

For the "educational history" prompt, it seems to me like they're specifically looking for people to describe formal experiences abroad like study abroad or global volunteering. Or "advanced training" in one of "sports, art, music."

I'm having a hard time brainstorming something for this prompt, so if someone has ideas other than the examples they've given and would be kind enough to share them, I'd appreciate it.
I don't know what one considers "advanced training," but I talked about something in the sports, art, music category that I did at a high level, then made it into a diversity prompt.

Just got my secondary! And I'm unverified haha

tried to pay my secondary fee and got booted out, but I checked my credit card and i've been charged! still can't submit my secondary tho cause the payment section still says incomplete. beware folks....

Are we supposed to list every course that we took that falls under each competency? Or just the minimum 1 year?

Thought something was wrong with my photo too but BU has a note in the photo section that says "Some photos appear distorted on this site when uploaded. You don't need to let us know, it is fine on our end."

Email received just now saying my application is complete. OOS

I go an Application on Hold EMail :(
Are you missing CASPer? Or an MCAT or LOR or something along those lines? I got a hold email following my submission when my CASPer wasn't in but the hold was lifted as soon as they sent my results.