2009-2010 Grad School Interview Invite Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If the person who received the invite from UT-Austin could PM me their POI, that would be great

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay so, I'm definitely overwhelmed by a. this website (I just joined, and omg it's like the best thing ever), and b. this process! I've *tried* applying to phd/psyd programs for a couple years now - but this is the first year I've been able to (woohoo!!). so just having completed and submitted applications is like a blessing in and of itself (one yr I had a balance that I was unaware of and the uni wouldnt release my transcripts, and last yr one of my profs didnt send in LOR on time :(--). So I'm definitely new to this whole thing/waiting game/interview preping...

BUT, I got asked to interview at a psyd program! I know that in general they are wayyy less competitive than phd programs - and I know I should be excited... but I guess I just don't know how excited I should be - haha. Like do they interview a significant majority of their applicants? So lets say they get about 250... if they interview 75%, I should still be... well - SCARED. I tried to look for these figures but couldn't find them. Does anyone know?

And for Phd programs... are the stats the same??

Thanksss

If you applied to PsyD programs based on likely match (program tracks, research areas, interesting professors, etc), I imagine you'd be "pretty darn" excited.

Anyone else have any December 1st/December 15th deadline schools that they haven't heard back from yet? I have one of the former and two of the latter, and it's starting to make me a tad nervous!

I have a ton of schools in this boat. I wouldn't fret, though I know it's easier said than done.

With that said, I've heard from 2 schools so far but the communication (emails) came directly from POIs requesting phone interviews. I really have no idea how the admissions process works at different schools but I wonder if I just happened to choose 2 POIs who were really efficient about weeding through apps in December. Other professors at the same schools might not have gotten in touch with anyone yet.

can the lucky person who got the virginia tech invite let me know who their poi is!!! i am really dying to know. uhh this process is getting to me all i seem to do is check sdn on my phone for updates :(

I have a ton of schools in this boat. I wouldn't fret, though I know it's easier said than done.

With that said, I've heard from 2 schools so far but the communication (emails) came directly from POIs requesting phone interviews. I really have no idea how the admissions process works at different schools but I wonder if I just happened to choose 2 POIs who were really efficient about weeding through apps in December. Other professors at the same schools might not have gotten in touch with anyone yet.

Same here -- I've heard from one, and it also came directly from a POI about a phone interview and seemed like it was done at their own convenience; other profs at the school might have emailed at a different time. From what I've heard, the majority of invites don't start rolling in until mid-January, so I'm trying not to freak out yet.

p.s. If the UT-Austin person is feeling generous and not too overwhelmed with requests, it would be awesome if they could let me know their POI too. :)

Last edited:
Don't suppose the George Mason folk want to PM me their POI...

Seems like A LOT more schools are giving out early invites this year. That, or certain professors just want to get it over with before winter break.

Dear original poster,

Thank you, I look at this every day. Actually, I'm such a mental case right now that I freaked out when I didn't hear anything from Marquette University even though the thread stated that they sent out interview invites already.

Then I realized I was looking at the counseling program, not clinical.....:smuggrin:

Neuropsyance

Seems like A LOT more schools are giving out early invites this year. That, or certain professors just want to get it over with before winter break.

Or, we're just noticing it more/paying better attention, because we're actually "in the game" this year.

Dear original poster,

Thank you, I look at this every day. Actually, I'm such a mental case right now that I freaked out when I didn't hear anything from Marquette University even though the thread stated that they sent out interview invites already.

You're very welcome! I'm enjoying running it. :)

I am trying not to pee myself over the fact that a couple of my schools are on this list...even the one that says the DCT sent out an email, which I'm imagining means the interview invitations probably went out all at once.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the receivers of ASU interview invites would PM their POI(s) that would be fantastic. Thanks in advance!!

Is anyone else driving themselves bonkers compulsively checking this list? I swear I am going to need an intervention! I know that most the invites don't come until Jan (late-ish Jan at that), but still I feel the need to keep checking this! Gah!! :smack:

I know! I am up to 40 checks on this thread and I've only been a member for 3 weeks!!! I think I am becoming OCD :)

At least I have one interview...GAH!!

This sucks...

Is anyone else driving themselves bonkers compulsively checking this list? I swear I am going to need an intervention! I know that most the invites don't come until Jan (late-ish Jan at that), but still I feel the need to keep checking this! Gah!! :smack:

Me! I know I won't hear from my programs til jan (at least based on previous years) but I sometimes keep this forum open and just refresh.

It is not so much that I expect to see my schools listed but I am curious about what schools notify early and who is getting interviews, especially on SDN where I feel like I know some of these cool folks.

also, after my apps are in and my evening class finished- I feel a bit of a hole in my schedule. Work is slow right now and a lot of my friends are out of town. I ended up baking like crazy and making gifts for Xmas. I kinda don't know what to do with myself and SDN makes me feel like I am at least in touch with the process and being (if only by association) productive.

I do feel I'm being a bit compulsive with my checking sometimes. I forced myself to go out last night but most nights it is too cold (or I am too broke) so I stay in and end up on here.

Hey Guys! Would the person who got the Washington Univ in St Louis interview mind PMing me their POI? Thanks! =]

Not to be annoying but would the wash univ person also mind pming me their poi! Thanks and congrats!

Would the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee person PM me their POI? Please? You will be rewarded with good karma : )

Hi,

On one of my SOP I listed 3 people I would like to work with. At the interview, would I meet with all 3 for an interview? So like 3 separate interviews? One person clearly matches my interests much more than the others, so I'm wondering if I would only meet with him? (He was the one who called me to tell me about the interview.) Is it typical to meet with more than one potential PI at interviews? Thanks!

Hi all! Would the person who received the Washington University in St. Louis invite be kind enough to pm me their POI? If possible that would be great! Thanks. :D

^ most likely all of the people who are interested in you will be there - it might even be professors you didn't list.

ahhhh so the big schools starting to come to the fray I see... invites to either of those schools are a nice snatch-up, I applaud whomever you are. I personally chose neither of those schools because of lacking POI match, otherwise I would have applied simply based on school merit!

aww Wash U...they werent supposed to notify until mid Jan! I'd love a POI PM too....

aww Wash U...they werent supposed to notify until mid Jan! I'd love a POI PM too....

I know that last year, the individual POIs at Wash U sort of did their own thing at their own pace. Some profs did telephone interviews before the in-person interview invitations, and some did nothing, I think--so, if last year is any indication, I wouldn't worry too much about not hearing from them yet when others have.

It seems like schools are replying WAY earlier than last year. I'm assuming this is a sign that schools received fewer applicants? What do y'all think???

wait.. really? if they contact applicants early that means that they have fewer students applying?
anyway, I was amazed too at how many people got contacted by schools before the end of the year. congrats to all of you! and have a happy new year :)

Would the person who received an interview at Univ Wisconsin Milwaukee please pm me their POI also? Thanks so much, I greatly appreciate it. Congratulations and I hope you have a happy new year.

Could you please PM me your poi at UW Milwaukee too? Thank you

Contacting applicants early means one thing and one thing only: they are contacting applicants early. You should all be good enough scientists to know you shouldn't be inventing reasoning without all the facts. ;) Relax, go have a cup of (decaf) coffee, and hang out with your friends. Life goes on while applications are being reviewed!

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Psy.D., invite late Oct. interview early November.

Could the person who received the interview invite for Michigan State's Clinical PhD program please, please, please PM me the name of the POI? I'd really appreciate it!! I can only cross my fingers for so long before they become numb...haha

I'd love an MSU POI identification too. Pretty Please :)

Relax, go have a cup of (decaf) coffee

That made me laugh.....:laugh:

First school I applied to is on the list now (Wash U). I'm not going to pester anyone for a POI though because once I do that then I'll really start having some issues.

Oh and sounds like a lot of you are curious about the POI from UW-Milwaukee. If you don't get an answer from the interviewee and want me to spy on your POI let me know.

EDIT: Just a thought, but to avoid all of this, "Please send me your POI!" business, why don't we all include the POI in the PM to futureapppsy2 so it can be listed outright?

Last edited:
That made me laugh.....:laugh:

First school I applied to is on the list now (Wash U). I'm not going to pester anyone for a POI though because once I do that then I'll really start having some issues.

Oh and sounds like a lot of you are curious about the POI from UW-Milwaukee. If you don't get an answer from the interviewee and want me to spy on your POI let me know.

EDIT: Just a thought, but to avoid all of this, "Please send me your POI!" business, why don't we all include the POI in the PM to futureapppsy2 so it can be listed outright?

Of course I support that idea, but if that person was the only one to get an invite from that POI, loss of confidentiality is risked.

If the receivers of ASU interview invites would PM their POI(s) that would be fantastic. Thanks in advance!!

For the people who got interviews at ASU, could you also PM me with your POIs? Thanks!

Of course I support that idea, but if that person was the only one to get an invite from that POI, loss of confidentiality is risked.

Ah that makes sense. I won't be asking for POI's though. As soon as I start digging for information on such things, it will become an obsession.

I remember that feeling, dreading the weekend because then you won't hear anything. It's quite odd.

My dad always used to call me from work too, then ask why I sounded so disappointed when I answered the phone. ;)
Sooooo true!! Makes you feel sorta crazy right?

So I decided to come out of the shadows and I am really excited to be a part of this group! I got my first interview right before Christmas (the school is already posed on the list) which I am so excited about. Also, I applied to Virginia Tech so if that person wouldn't mind sending me a PM to let me know who their POI is that would be great. I am so excited to be going through this with a group of people who understand! :)

So I decided to come out of the shadows and I am really excited to be a part of this group! I got my first interview right before Christmas (the school is already posed on the list) which I am so excited about. Also, I applied to Virginia Tech so if that person wouldn't mind sending me a PM to let me know who their POI is that would be great. I am so excited to be going through this with a group of people who understand! :)

what school? we ask this because then some of us can associate/befriend those we will be at interviews with

J

Got an interview to a school already on the list! I feel relieved, anxious, excited, and scared.

I feel so anxious about interviews (or rather, about not receiving ANY), even though UCSB is the only one of my schools on the list.