2009-2010 Grad School Interview Invite Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If whoever got an interview at Florida State would PM me with their POI, I would be eternally grateful.

Members don't see this ad.

I remember that feeling, dreading the weekend because then you won't hear anything. It's quite odd.

My dad always used to call me from work too, then ask why I sounded so disappointed when I answered the phone. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
If whoever got an interview at Florida State would PM me with their POI, I would be eternally grateful.

I second this, or if the first person that receives the pm wants to forward me that info, thats fine too!

Also, could the person that got the clinical invite at alabama pm me who their POI is I would be eternally grateful :)

Thanks!

Whoever got the University of Minnesota School Psych interview, would you care to share your POI?

Hey Everyone! Great posts - thank you! I am new to this site, and have been trying to find something like this... I got my first PsyD interview for LaSalle on Thursday, December 17th, and am waiting back to hear from George Washington (if anyone hears anything I am SO curious), Loyola - Maryland, Seattle Pacific PhD clinical psych, and Drexel. This whole waiting thing SUCKS!!!! :)

Whoever got the Memphis call, mind PMing me your POI? Thanks!

Although I'm very content with the schools that made my final list that I have now submitted my applications to, some part of me is regretting not applying to any school (although I know there are only a few) that sends invites before the holidays. I'm dying right now! Based on last year's thread the earliest I would possibly hear is mid-January. I know that I wouldn't have gotten an interview if I did apply to any of the schools with earlier invites because they would have been terrible matches, but still!

Hello everyone and good luck to all! I have been an active reader of this website, and finally decided to join. I am on Xmas vacation, trying to relax with my family, but I am a little preoccupied with grad school invites. I have one school I am waiting to hear from before Xmas, and I've gotten a bit nervous as the days go by that I haven't heard anything. I am just wondering, from other's experiences, how rejections go in this process. If I hear nothing from a school that is extending invites, should I assume that I have not been given an interview? When do schools tell you if you are rejected? Or does one just have to assume? If anyone could answer these questions, I would very much appreciate it. Good luck to everyone again, and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Anyone hear anything today? I've been waiting and still no word.. how long till I know I've officially been rejected??

Anyone hear anything today? I've been waiting and still no word.. how long till I know I've officially been rejected??

I'm guessing they are not going to send invites a week before the interview dates....or maybe after the interview dates.

OK I am de-lurking (I finally joined officially); I'm in the same situation--I applied to the school area of UCSB CCSP and am now feeling like I definitely am rejected since I have no interview invite as of yet! Does anyone know if the department notified all areas at once, or if it is by POI...anything anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone hears from GW, will you let me know??? THANK YOU! :) Merry Christmas :)

Add me to the list of those who would be interested in knowing the Stony Brook POI, if you'd be willing to share over PM!

Everyone,

Relax! You are all extremely eager and dutiful about getting your applications in on time, but professors and department committees are not nearly as organized and efficient as you are hoping them to be. Sure some schools actually tell people about interviews right away, but there is a lot a variation from one school to another, and sometimes, from one professor to another in a single department. All sorts of internal, bureaucratic, political games go on that are outside of your control. In addition, many of the professors just finished classes and about to go on their breaks. Breaks are important to them, which is one of the reason they are in academia.

The office is closed now until the 4th (I assume you are asking about UCSB), so I don't think you will hear until then. The interview are late January, so I think there is still a chance that you could hear during the first couple weeks of next year.

Just a note that I've added a "New as of [today's date]" feature in italics at the top of the first post in order to quickly notify people of the new invite info. I'm surprised by how quickly these are coming even pre-Christmas--SDNers really are an amazing bunch!

Just a note that I've added a "New as of [today's date]" feature in italics at the top of the first post in order to quickly notify people of the new invite info. I'm surprised by how quickly these are coming even pre-Christmas--SDNers really are an amazing bunch!

You are doing an awesome job. Thank you!

You are doing an awesome job. Thank you! :D

I'll second that - I was all ready to PM you my first interview school an hour after I got the notification, but it was already in today's update! Thanks so much for setting this up!

I'll second that - I was all ready to PM you my first interview school an hour after I got the notification, but it was already in today's update! Thanks so much for setting this up!

Feel free to PM the invite, anyway--it helps me ensure I haven't missed anyone, and I also just like to know. :)

Got my first interview!!!! I was definitely starting to worry that I would never hear anything from anyone and it would all be in vain! I know, totally premature! Anyway, just wanted to thank everyone for being on this forum. It has been, and will continue to be, a great source of support. I don't know how I would have gotten, and will continue to get, through this process without you all! Have a happy holiday everyone! :D

Got my first interview!!!! I was definitely starting to worry that I would never hear anything from anyone and it would all be in vain! I know, totally premature! Anyway, just wanted to thank everyone for being on this forum. It has been, and will continue to be, a great source of support. I don't know how I would have gotten, and will continue to get, through this process without you all! Have a happy holiday everyone! :D

Awesome! Congrats! Is it one of the places listed at the beginning of the thread?

Happy Holidays!

OMG! I received my first interview invite today! I'm so excited! I can't believe this is really happening! I'm still in shock because this is one of my top three schools!!!! YAY!!!!! Happy Holidays!

OMG! I received my first interview invite today! I'm so excited! I can't believe this is really happening! I'm still in shock because this is one of my top three schools!!!! YAY!!!!! Happy Holidays!

Awesome, congratulations! What type of program?

I'm guessing we probably won't be hearing anything until the 4th after today

It seems USC isn't sending out invites before Christmas...has anyone heard anything? Congrats to those who have received invites!

hey great job with the thread thus far, can I ask a favor? Could you post the number of applicants per school that notify you, i.e., SHSU as far as I know is 2 of us, but I dont know for sure. This would require everyone to notify you but I think it would be cool to know maybe there are quite a few for each school etc.

Hope this makes sense,

so it would look like this:

"Sam Houston State--invite received via phone on 12/18; interview on 2/27 -- 2 SND members"

I am just wondering, from other's experiences, how rejections go in this process.

Very few schools will send rejections before March, and many not til June, or never - on the off chance they hate everyone they interviewed, they could call you up for a later interview and offer you admission. Or, more likely, if a professor you were interested in expected to not take a student, but then got some funding, s/he might call you late in the game to follow up.

will whoever got the virginia tech invite pm me their POI! thanks

So far, it looks like only 1 school of mine has given out interviews. There's still plenty of time left for all of us

Okay so, I'm definitely overwhelmed by a. this website (I just joined, and omg it's like the best thing ever), and b. this process! I've *tried* applying to phd/psyd programs for a couple years now - but this is the first year I've been able to (woohoo!!). so just having completed and submitted applications is like a blessing in and of itself (one yr I had a balance that I was unaware of and the uni wouldnt release my transcripts, and last yr one of my profs didnt send in LOR on time :(--). So I'm definitely new to this whole thing/waiting game/interview preping...

BUT, I got asked to interview at a psyd program! I know that in general they are wayyy less competitive than phd programs - and I know I should be excited... but I guess I just don't know how excited I should be - haha. Like do they interview a significant majority of their applicants? So lets say they get about 250... if they interview 75%, I should still be... well - SCARED. I tried to look for these figures but couldn't find them. Does anyone know?

And for Phd programs... are the stats the same??

Thanksss

Okay so, I'm definitely overwhelmed by a. this website (I just joined, and omg it's like the best thing ever), and b. this process! I've *tried* applying to phd/psyd programs for a couple years now - but this is the first year I've been able to (woohoo!!). so just having completed and submitted applications is like a blessing in and of itself (one yr I had a balance that I was unaware of and the uni wouldnt release my transcripts, and last yr one of my profs didnt send in LOR on time :(--). So I'm definitely new to this whole thing/waiting game/interview preping...

BUT, I got asked to interview at a psyd program! I know that in general they are wayyy less competitive than phd programs - and I know I should be excited... but I guess I just don't know how excited I should be - haha. Like do they interview a significant majority of their applicants? So lets say they get about 250... if they interview 75%, I should still be... well - SCARED. I tried to look for these figures but couldn't find them. Does anyone know?

And for Phd programs... are the stats the same??

Thanksss

First of all, congratulations!!!! It's always a good sign when you get an interview. Second, the stats for PhD programs are unclear, but there are numerous other threads that address this. Typically, if you get an interview at PhD program, you are in the running with a small group of people for a spot in the program. I think it's been quoted all over this forum that about 1-6 people are invited to interview for each spot. As for PsyD programs, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure it's not 75% of the applicants. I hope that helps and welcome to the forum. :)

First of all, congratulations!!!! It's always a good sign when you get an interview. Second, the stats for PhD programs are unclear, but there are numerous other threads that address this. Typically, if you get an interview at PhD program, you are in the running with a small group of people for a spot in the program. I think it's been quoted all over this forum that about 1-6 people are invited to interview for each spot. As for PsyD programs, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure it's not 75% of the applicants. I hope that helps and welcome to the forum. :)

thank you so much! that was helpful. i might search more threads to get a better idea, but thanks again for both the info and the welcome. good luck to you!

Anyone else have any December 1st/December 15th deadline schools that they haven't heard back from yet? I have one of the former and two of the latter, and it's starting to make me a tad nervous!

hmm why nervous? review posts from last year and year before, find your school amongst the "when interviews were issued" and if your school for the last two years had at this point given out interviews and you havent heard anything, then be worried.

Most of the programs I saw didnt even get early invites out until after the jan 4th date, and then they came on heavy between Jan 4th and Jan 20-something.

Nothing to ge worried about yet :) remember 100-400 applications are a lot to review especially when professors want their christmas breaks as much as we do :)

Agree with Justin - most of my schools are Dec. 1/Dec. 15, but if you look at the last couple years' worth of interview invite threads, you'll note that most interview offers aren't extended until January or even (gasp!) early February. Be patient and don't stress yourself to death.

hmm why nervous? review posts from last year and year before, find your school amongst the "when interviews were issued" and if your school for the last two years had at this point given out interviews and you havent heard anything, then be worried.

Most of the programs I saw didnt even get early invites out until after the jan 4th date, and then they came on heavy between Jan 4th and Jan 20-something.

Nothing to ge worried about yet :) remember 100-400 applications are a lot to review especially when professors want their christmas breaks as much as we do :)

Well, one of my Dec. 15th schools gave out interview invites last year in both late December and early January, so it's hard to tell. No historical data on the other two--they're school psych programs, which tend to have fewer applicants, which means there's less historical "data" on them and that they tend to send out invites more quickly.

ETA: Oh, and one of my Dec. 1st schools sent out invites in early February last year.

Last edited:
While one of my Dec. 15th schools gave out interview invites last year in both late December and early January, so it's hard to tell. No historical data on the other three--they're school psych programs, which tend to have fewer applicants, which means there's less historical "data" on them and that they tend to send out invites more quickly.

Hmm have you tried googling something like "X University + Invitation Date + when invites are given" or something like that? Thats how I find out most things that you cannot find on their site or student doc.

People who have been offered UCSB interviews so far...

Has the exact date been confirmed yet? Have you received the official e-mail confirmation? I was curious.

Can you PM me please? Thank you :)