• Forums Updates - Tuesday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Tuesday, June 11 starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.

XS vs 59 modifier

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lately I have heard podiatrists talk about the XS modifier. One person said they get reimbursed 100% for all procedures performed on the same patient. For example nails and calluses both get reimbursed at full price and not 50% for the second procedure.

My online research has not made the difference between 59 and XS clear to me nor if I should use XS at all. My practice manager has not heard of XS. Do any of you use XS modifier?

Members don't see this ad.

I use XS for medicare and medicaid only. It's a more specific version of 59. It doesn't get me 100% for my line 2 CPT code. The advantage of the XS modifier is it slips you under the radar if your 59 modifiers ever get audited.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The 59 modifier is often abused. It’s not to eliminate an edit, it’s do note that the procedure is for a different pathology at a different location.

And it’s to report procedures that are not normally reported together.

Example 1. You perform a hammertoe repair, 28285 on the second toe and a flexor tenotomy on the 3rd toe.

There is an edit for 28285 with 28232. But in this case the 59 is to note that the 28232 is on a DIFFERENT toe.

Using 59 for the 28232 for the same toe as the 28285 would be a MISUSE of the modifier.

Reactions: 2 users
The 59 modifier is often abused. It’s not to eliminate an edit, it’s do note that the procedure is for a different pathology at a different location.

Example 1. You perform a hammertoe repair, 28285 on the second toe and a flexor tenotomy on the 3rd toe.

There is an edit for 28285 with 28232. But in this case the 59 is to note that the 28232 is on a DIFFERENT toe.

Using 59 for the 28232 for the same toe as the 28285 would be a MISUSE of the modifier.

Ok so what I’m gathering from this is that when I need to bill 7 different CPT codes on the single toe that I’m doing surgery on then I need to be sure to use the XS modifier so I don’t get in trouble.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

I have used the T modifiers for that to specify the toe, arent we supposed to use the most specific modifier to distinguish distinct and separate?

59 is general, XS is more specific.