White Coat Ceremony Memories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi! So those of you in med school, what memories did you have from your white coat ceremony? I remember at my friend's ceremony his mom broke out into tears!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't want to go to mine, thought it was an overall massive waste of time and found it to be quite cringy (is this how it's spelled or cringey?). Asked my parents not to drive four hours for what I viewed as kindergarten graduation but for MS1s. But hey, that's me. Cheers.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know they can be viewed in a bad light, but it was a really great experience for me. My grandpa is one of my biggest supporters and has been pretty seriously ill in the last year. He's elderly and I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't around by the time I graduate so it was such a great experience to spend the day of my white coat ceremony with him (and my parents) and take time to appreciate all the support they have given me to help me get this far. I think you can make the ceremony can be as meaningful or meaningless as you make it and for me, it was all about having the people who made it possible for me to be in med school at the ceremony.

Reactions: 23 users
I remember thinking it must have cost a lot of money that I much rather would have spent on First Aid, Sketchy, and Pathoma

Reactions: 3 users
Someone spilled food on my white coat.

Reactions: 6 users
Most people on SDN are too cool for the white coat ceremony. Personally, I’m looking forward to mine, but maybe as time passes I too will remember it as a waste of time.

Probably not though. I’m in the Navy, and boy do we love our ceremonies and traditions.

Reactions: 26 users
I didn't want to go to mine, thought it was an overall massive waste of time and found it to be quite cringy (is this how it's spelled or cringey?). Asked my parents not to drive four hours for what I viewed as kindergarten graduation but for MS1s. But hey, that's me. Cheers.

Are these things optional? Man I hope they are.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't believe that pre-meds and med students have lost the appreciation for the little things in life :unsure:

Reactions: 37 users
People here are too cool for that. Personally i will go through with the ceromony. I think it matters more than my undergrad graduation.

Reactions: 15 users
Don't let anyone else rain on your parade. Starting medical school is an exciting thing, and you're are allowed to be as excited or unimpressed as best suits you. Mine was scheduled on Sunday afternoon and we began classes the very next day. The most memorable thing for me was the logistics of getting family to the airport immediately after, and then entertaining remaining family when I really needed some time to decompress before my first day. I can't say that I'm sad about not being as enthusiastic about that particular experience since I've already had a number of great experiences since then. Turns out that White Coast Ceremony wasn't my thing, and my family got more out of it than I did. I'm happy to have shared that moment with them even though my mind was otherwise engaged.

Reactions: 1 user
I cried at my girlfriend’s last year and I’ll cry at mine this year!

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
my coat was too big and i looked awful. trying to socialize with classmates i never met was awkward.

it was nice because my mom was really supportive through the whole getting into medical school thing.

So I heard some schools used to do the ceremony between M2-M3? I think most schools just do it before M1 now.

I can’t believe y’all. Maybe being a premed is different but I feel like I’d cry. Isn’t it a great moment to have that white coat put on you as a physician? Y’all worked hard for this! You’ve earned it! Man I’d be so excited!

Reactions: 4 users
I can’t believe y’all. Maybe being a premed is different but I feel like I’d cry. Isn’t it a great moment to have that white coat put on you as a physician? Y’all worked hard for this! You’ve earned it! Man I’d be so excited!

I wear it never now lol

I wear it never now lol

Really? Man must be different when you get into med school! I mean I guess I can get not wearing it all the time but... to me it would be a big honorable moment haha

This might be due to my massive ego I don't really need a bunch of people in ceremony to tell me I accomplished something.

Reactions: 3 users
This might be due to my massive ego I don't really need a bunch of people in ceremony to tell me I accomplished something.

omg but it doesn't mean that... It's just symbolic of you putting it on and being a doctor!

omg but it doesn't mean that... It's just symbolic of you putting it on and being a doctor!

It would mean more if PAs, NPs, Pharmacists, nurses, etc didn’t also wear a white coat. PA and pharmacy students get a white coat ceremony as well.

It lost its symbolism. It doesnt keep me warm anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
On the other hand...

il_570xN.1243933576_1q9o.jpg

If doctors wore this outfit I would 1000% attend.

Reactions: 17 users
I know I am really looking forward to it (Even if it is a while away...) Coming from a family where few even attended community college classes.

I actually can't think of words to describe how I think I'd feel.

Here's hoping the next 3 years go by successfully and quickly...

Reactions: 5 users
On the other hand...

il_570xN.1243933576_1q9o.jpg

If doctors wore this outfit I would 1000% attend.
(Unrelated) I may be in the minority in this opinion, but I feel like plague doctors were actually pretty noble people for the most part; given the time period and medical knowledge at the time. It took a lot of guts to do what they did, I'd imagine.

Plus those robes and that mask... (lol)

You're not a doctor until you graduate. Putting on the white coat just means you're a medical student.

Reactions: 4 users
It would mean more if PAs, NPs, Pharmacists, nurses, etc didn’t also wear a white coat. PA and pharmacy students get a white coat ceremony as well.

It lost its symbolism. It doesnt keep me warm anyway.

This elicits a bigger question of doctors “standing out” in a healthcare setting. I personally don’t think it’s particulary necessary. It may only be a problem if someone intentionally tries to do something they’re not trained for. And that in and of itself raises another sensitive topic of the rising trend of pharmacists/nurses being trained in procedures and decision making that have traditionally been physician-only territory. I remember reading a case study of nurses at a private practice being trained on how to do LP’s. But given the higher workloads of doctors I feel like this may not be a bad thing.

Lol people are so cynical. I thought mine was fun. My family came and we went out to dinner afterwards. I liked it! Unfortunately I had only opened the white coat for the very first time that morning, and there were profound wrinkles in it. So I spent about an hour going over it with the iron on the highest setting. Then I realized that I had been ironing it on a surface I thought was completely clean but evidently wasn’t so it developed a small stain on the most prominent part of the coat. So then I had to run to the convenience store and buy one of those Tide magic pens and furiously scrub it. And man, did I pull that off.

Reactions: 13 users
White Coat wasnt around when I was a student. Yeah, I'm old. I have to attend now as faculty and it is a very nice event. White Coat is more for the families, those who support the student, both financially and emotionally. It is gratifying to see the pride in the faces of the students and families. And yes, the food could be better.

Yeah I thought it was a cool experience. Necessary, no. But worth it, yes. Like one of the other posters says, a lot of it is for the families. It’s helps them feel involved. Not to mention we had a couple really good speakers and great food. It felt like a bonding experience with my classmates too. I might not be a doctor yet but we were literally seeing patients 4 days later in the free clinic so it was true rite of a passage in a way

My dad is a physician and he wore his white coat to my ceremony! We even took a picture of him coating me, which was amazing because he is my biggest inspiration!

Reactions: 21 users
When I was younger, I viewed ceremonies like these as a trivial waste of time. Now that I am older, I believe it is important to celebrate one's accomplishments, and, equally important, to take these occasions to gather with those that you love. If appropriate, you can say "thank you" or simply "I love you" to those who join you. I, for one, intend to show up to my daughter's white coat ceremony, and will not be surprised if I end up crying like a baby and telling strangers that I love them.

Reactions: 7 users
I know I am really looking forward to it (Even if it is a while away...) Coming from a family where few even attended community college classes.

I actually can't think of words to describe how I think I'd feel.

Here's hoping the next 3 years go by successfully and quickly...

I mean... i looked more forward to it at the time. I am also a first generation student.

I didn’t invite my family, though. My husband was there.

It does go by quick! Best of luck!

This elicits a bigger question of doctors “standing out” in a healthcare setting. I personally don’t think it’s particulary necessary. It may only be a problem if someone intentionally tries to do something they’re not trained for. And that in and of itself raises another sensitive topic of the rising trend of pharmacists/nurses being trained in procedures and decision making that have traditionally been physician-only territory. I remember reading a case study of nurses at a private practice being trained on how to do LP’s. But given the higher workloads of doctors I feel like this may not be a bad thing.

With adequate training, sure why not with more minor procedures.

realizing how many peoples mommy and daddies are probably paying their tuition

Being close to your family and loving them is not equal to being financially dependent on them, you silly goose

Reactions: 7 users
On which side? I cant distinguish? The people excited about the ceremony or not excited. I can see it either way.

The most alarming thing about the medical school process is realizing how insanely rich everyone is. The school I will most likely matriculate at ~5% of the graduating classes parents had at minimum a bachelors degree. Until my siblings and I there wasn't a single person in my extended family who went to college (and I have a very large family).

The most alarming thing about the medical school process is realizing how insanely rich everyone is. The school I will most likely matriculate at ~5% of the graduating classes parents had at minimum a bachelors degree. Until my siblings and I there wasn't a single person in my extended family who went to college (and I have a very large family).

I mean, wealth is on a spectrum. A family can be very privileged and well-off but that doesn't mean they have 80-90k just sitting around ever year to pay off the entire COA for their kid. I don't think more than a few percentage of students can truly cover their entire COA through family support.

Reactions: 2 users

Be careful not to jump to conclusions. I'm quite excited about my white coat ceremony. I'm 35, married with kids, and have been financially independent from my parents for over a decade. I'm just close with my family.

Reactions: 8 users
Being close to your family and loving them is not equal to being financially dependent on them, you silly goose

On which side? I cant distinguish? The people excited about the ceremony or not excited. I can see it either way.

Be careful not to jump to conclusions. I'm quite excited about my white coat ceremony. I'm 35, married with kids, and have been financially independent from my parents for over a decade. I'm just close with my family.

I think he was getting at the fact that a lot of families at these ceremonies seem extremely well off. Such as wearing very expensive clothing, having the latest iphones, not properly parking their Bentley's......

You're not a doctor until you graduate. Putting on the white coat just means you're a medical student.

Yeah, and it took me over 10 years and a lot of hard work to get to be a medical student. I'm thrilled. (I realize that's not the case for most med students.)

I think he was getting at the fact that a lot of families at these ceremonies seem extremely well off. Such as wearing very expensive clothing, having the latest iphones, not properly parking their Bentley's......

I was more so getting at the point of seeing how many current students parents are physicians themselves. Not saying its a bad thing, was just surprised

Bro, getting into medical school is hard. Yes I want to take it in and get those pics for Tinder.

Reactions: 10 users