What did you change the most..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What area did you change the most before reapplying

• Grades

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • MCAT scores

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • Letters of recommendations

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Personal statement

• Extracurricular experiences

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Everything

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Others

• Total voters

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What area did you fellow re-applicants work on the most in order to reapply again?

Members don't see this ad.

My main goal was to change my mcat. I also changed my gpa/academic history because I started a graduate program.

I was gonna say...it really depends where individual weaknesses are as to what people needed to change. It seems to be that the two main heavy hitters seem to be..

MCAT and GPA

I retook the MCAT and did worse...which really sucked...so..if you retake...MAKE SURE YOU STUDY and don't go down...which will count against you..and be more to explain....

Members don't see this ad :)
Come on folks, we only have 18 votes but have 210 readers. Anyone else want to weigh in on what they worked on the most to reapply.

ChrisObean,

Dont worry about having to take the MCATS 4 times. I took them 4 times as well, and did not get anywhere near a 28 overall! I had a couple of admission staffs comment on how many times I took the MCAT, but they were more concerned with what I did to improve my scores each time.

The area that I improved most on was clinical experience and GPA. I think that helped with my subpar MCAT scores.

The two major things I did---

1. Worked A LOT harder on my AMCAS. Anything that I spent more than five minutes of my life on went into the EC section. Got feedback on my essays, etc.

2. Maxed out on LOR's. My previous attempts I was convinced I would get in with no problem, and each school got the minimum number of required LOR's. This time around I had a total of seven sent out to each school.

I've gotten A LOT more interviews this time around. No acceptances yet, but then again, I applied MD/PhD this year so the process is understandably more competitve than before (more essays to write, more apps to fill out, and higher average scores and GPA's).

I APPLIED EARLY!!!! sooooo important! last year I did my MCAT in August and STARTED sending in secondaries in October .... ON TOP OF THAT my university sent a LOR from my pre-med advisor and this wasn't sufficient (has to be from a committee)... AND I didn't know until JANUARY! so I was complete at most schools in January!!!?!?!??!!!!! Man.... last year was the worst....

However, I am Canadian and the system is here is different, ie: no rolling admissions and acceptance MUCH later in the year (interviews in march...acceptances in May/June at most schools). I basically completed my AMCAS with my Canadian schools... and didn't realize that early applications and completions are CRUCIAL to the admissions game in the US!

Needless to say... this year I was complete in August... LORs in, secondaries in.... and am already accepted to my top choice in med schools :)

Ocean,
That too is great advice...getting stuff in early is KEY!

Congrays on your acceptances...and best of luck to you!!