What are My Chances/Advice (3.7/505/GA/White)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SprinklesNearby

Reaction score
  1. White Male
  2. State/Country of Residence: GA
  3. Ties to other States/Regions: N/A
  4. Year in School: Uprising senior
  5. undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Biology Major
  6. Graduate Degrees (if applicable): None
  7. Cumulative GPA: 3.7
  8. Science GPA: 3.6
  9. MCAT Score(s): 505
  10. Research Experience: ~120 Hours of research in an ecology lab, work cut short due to COVID-19 precautions
  11. Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. first author, second author, etc.): N/A
  12. Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): ~500 Hours as a patient transporter (paid), with lots of direct patient contact. I've been able to see when **** hits the fan, and have had to call code blues, assist with life saving measures in stressful situations, etc
  13. Physician Shadowing: ~122 Hours in the fields of pain medicine, anesthesia, general surgery, urology, vascular surgery, ENT surgery, and orthopedic surgery.
  14. Non-Clinical Volunteering: ~100 Hours serving in my local community food kitchen, ~50 hours at a COVID-19 mobile vaccination clinic for the underserved.
  15. Other Extracurricular Activities: Marched in a renowned drum corps, section leader in my university marching band, on the jurisdiction board for my co-ed honor sorority (band service org)
  16. Other Employment History: TA for applied physiology at my university
  17. Scholarships: Scholarship for musical excellence, Scholarship for jazz performance, state merit scholarship
  18. Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): Y
  19. Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Anesthesia is a preferred route, but I'm open to other fields.
  20. Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): N
  21. Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): Y
  22. Misc: Sister has an extremely rare brain malformation which exposed me to my fair share of the hospital, in the process of volunteering to play TAPS for military funerals who cannot afford a trumpeter. No disadvantaged status.
  23. Comments: I'm really more looking for advice. I'm currently leaning toward retaking in Jan 2022, knowing that I can absolutely get a better MCAT score, I just overloaded myself with work and school this past year (vital mistake). That would mean applying next cycle and not submitting this cycle.
  24. Specific questions:
    1. Should I not apply this cycle if I want MD?
    2. Are reapplicants looked down upon?
    3. Is there any more professional outlets that I can access? My parents are really pushing me to apply this cycle, but I don't know if I'm ready.
    4. I'll be honest, I'm a bit flustered after score drop with this low of an MCAT after a high practice average. I feel as if I have some content gaps that I am unaware of. I used Princeton Review this cycle, but does anyone have any other recommendations for studying? I've heard UWorld is great, just want to find something else.
Thanks for the help. I know it's a lot, but I'm very flustered at them moment, as well as disappointed with my outlook. @Faha @Goro

Members don't see this ad.

You can apply this cycle but should include DO schools. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Medical College Georgia
Mercer
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Creighton
TCU-UNT
For DO schools I suggest these
PCOM (all schools)
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
ACOM
UIWSOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
WVSOM
LECOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
If you are not interested in DO schools then you may need to retake the MCAT if no interviews at MD schools by February.

Reactions: 1 user
You can apply this cycle but should include DO schools. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Medical College Georgia
Mercer
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Creighton
TCU-UNT
For DO schools I suggest these
PCOM (all schools)
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
ACOM
UIWSOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
WVSOM
LECOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
If you are not interested in DO schools then you may need to retake the MCAT if no interviews at MD schools by February.
Hi Faha, thanks so much for the reply. I’m worried that I am currently late in the cycle with my stats. In addition, I can get a higher MCAT score (did not study to the best of my ability), and I could improve my GPA by 0.1 points over the next two semesters.

that being said, I’m also worried about being a reapplicant, and if that will affect my chances if I need to apply next cycle. Would it hurt not to apply this cycle, or hurt more to not? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no issue with being a reapplicant. If you retake the MCAT in the future do not retake until your practice scores are consistently 510 or higher.

Agree with no issue being a reapplicant, however, with your current stats you will clearly be limiting your options and if you think you can make a significant improvement in your MCAT I would lean toward waiting until next cycle.