WAMC/School List (ORM, 3.90, 513, FL Resident)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GlassPromontory

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.90 cGPA, 3.95 sGPA (did not do that well in a couple of humanities classes).
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts: 513 (129,127,128,129)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): FL, with strong ties to VA (uncle lives there) as well as Ohio (family member practicing medicine there)
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Large in-state public school
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 1,050 hours. 380 hours working initially as an intern and later as a scribe at a free clinic that treats the underserved and uninsured. As an intern I performed patient intake, med recon, and took vitals. As a scribe I documented encounters between patient and different providers and input this information into EHR. 520 hours from an internship with a community resource paramedicine program designed to help residents better manage chronic health conditions, improve quality of life, and reduce burden on emergency services. My objectives were to primarily connect patients with resources such as transportation, dental care, SSI, etc in order to address unmet needs, as well as accompany paramedics on in-home checkups and referrals from other organizations. Lastly, 145 hours volunteering with a daycare center for Alzheimer's patients where I kept them company, assisted in serving meals, and led activities helping to promote cognitive function such as group exercise, crossword, hangman, and word scramble etc.
  7. Research experience and productivity: 650 hours in one lab, involves oral microbiology. Without being two specific I worked with two specific bacteria extensively in order to characterize their relationship through different protocols such as biofilm assays and wax worm injections. Also contributed to vaccine development through ELISA and neutrophil extraction protocols.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 60 hours shadowing surgery, internal medicine, rheumatology, GI, and chronic care management.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 315 hours. Physical training athletes with special needs. This involved developing personalized work out plans tailored to athletes needs, motivating/encouraging them to reach physical milestones and performing team-bonding exercises+group sports.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): 480 hours in various teaching/leadership activities. 280 hours through an organization that connects us underserved k-12 students of our county. I helped in the classroom through tutoring and administering progress checks as well as outside through mentoring students in personal and academic development and enriching after-school activities/playing with students. Additionally, 130 hours from working as a microbiology lab TA to teach students key techniques such as gram-staining, streaking, etc. and assisting the professor in setting up experiments. Gap year activities involve continuing tutoring with TFA Ignite Fellowship, which is about 65 hours, scribing at free clinic (mentioned above), and pursuing religious education as a personal interest.
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Dean's list for a couple of semesters, can't remember how many.
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: Father works in medicine, went to school much of my childhood in a poor area with high incidence of crime/drug usage. Other than that not much else.
Definitely would appreciate help with a school list, looking to cast a broad net and apply anywhere from 30-40 schools. I would prefer MD but will apply DO if I absolutely have to. Thank you all in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you must apply DO unless you strike out of your MD interviews. Is there a reason why you aren't interested in a rehabilitative field (physical therapy, athletic training, podiatry)? What is your purpose as a physician? Where did your father train (med school, residency, etc.)?

Non-clinical looks fine, especially with what you describe in your free clinic and your upcoming TFA.

I don't think your ties help you with OOS applications. VA is already OOS friendly in general, and I am not sure you would apply to OH-preferred schools like Toledo, NEOMED, or Wright State.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Florida
Florida State
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
USF Morsani
Miami
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
George Washington
Georgetown
Cincinnati
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Florida
Florida State
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
USF Morsani
Miami
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
George Washington
Georgetown
Cincinnati
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Thank you so much for the help Faha!

I don't think you must apply DO unless you strike out of your MD interviews. Is there a reason why you aren't interested in a rehabilitative field (physical therapy, athletic training, podiatry)? What is your purpose as a physician? Where did your father train (med school, residency, etc.)?

Non-clinical looks fine, especially with what you describe in your free clinic and your upcoming TFA.

I don't think your ties help you with OOS applications. VA is already OOS friendly in general, and I am not sure you would apply to OH-preferred schools like Toledo, NEOMED, or Wright State.
Good question, I would prefer medicine because of the much broader scope in the way physicians treat and interact with patients- their ability to diagnose and implement a plethora of interventions using the clinical knowledge they've been given. In contrast, I think rehab field is more limited in scope and deals with injuries and chronic conditions through exercise, therapy, etc. Another thing that appealed to me more about medicine was autonomy in decision-making, and the chance for more frequent, personalized patient interaction seeing patients from all walks of life.

I would say that one of my reasons for going into medicine is the possibility to change health outcomes grounded in a strong a clinical background, and in some cases before problems arise (would it be worth exploring the idea of preventative medicine in my app given my activities?) rather dealing with injuries after they have occurred.

To your other question, my father did medicine overseas, and residency in IM at UIUC.

Reactions: 1 user