WAMC/ school list - 3.76/511

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yurrrmeee

Reaction score
Currently preparing for 2024-25 cycle and was wondering if I had a good chance of getting accepted or not.

3.78cGPA(very strong upward trend since Freshman year) ,
511 MCAT(128,125,130,128)--3rd attempt (495,494 on other attempts)(how much would this hurt my app???)
ORM, Low SES, FAP recipient, white, Illinois resident, graduated from University of Illinois at Chicago.

• Paid Clinical experience as a MA- 730 hrs(at 2 different clinics)(projected hours are around 2100 from now until matriculation since ill be working full time)
  • In person shadowing-100 hrs
  • Volunteering for a food pantry-630hrs
  • tutoring highschool students-600hrs
  • leadership at a fast food chain +4000hrs(worked all 4 years of undergrad as a general manager)
  • undergrad research assistant +120hrs
  • 4 LORs (1 from MD, 3 from science professors)
I am applying to 30-35 MD schools and still working on the list. Any suggestions/ modifications are appreciated
School list:
OOS:
The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences
western michigan
OAKland
East Virginia
quinnipiac
MCW
Saint louis
Nova
university of cali, LA David
Drexel
George washington
USC greenville
Pennstate
Virginia commonwealth
geisinger commonwealth
Pittsburgh
Temple
case western reserve
Wayne state
Creighton
NYMC
Hackensack
Jefferson
Miami(Miller)
Tufts

IS:
UIC
southern illinois
Rush
loyola
Rosalind
Pritzker
Northwestern

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forums.

While many programs average MCAT scores for screening, your last score will grab attention. Your in-state schools should give you a strong look. If you want to go out of state, what do you want to do as a physician that addresses mission fit?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

While many programs average MCAT scores for screening, your last score will grab attention. Your in-state schools should give you a strong look. If you want to go out of state, what do you want to do as a physics that addresses mission fit?
Sorry I'm not really sure what you are asking, could you please elaborate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Physician. What do you see yourself doing as a doctor? Why is it so important that you become a doctor?
I hopefully want to work my way up and become an anesthesiologist in the future. I haven't really looked into where I'd want to work(underserved areas or not). Coming from a very poor background, I would definitely love to help those that are less fortunate, but I'd be lying if I said i have a preference. The decision to become a doctor came a little bit late(which is why my freshman year grades were all over the place). I'd say the reason I want to become a doctor is mainly because I had a long talk with my personal doctor and got intrigued enough to try it out(by shadowing and being a MA). During that "tryout" period, I enjoyed being in a position to offer help to those with health issues and seeing them get better. Also, I actually saw myself becoming a doctor one day during that time(which never happened for any other career) so I just kept diving deeper into it as time went on.

You have several schools on your list that admit few non residents with your stats and no connections to the state as well as some far reaches.
I suggest these schools:
UIC
Southern Illinois
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU
Tulane
Belmont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)

Reactions: 1 users
You have several schools on your list that admit few non residents with your stats and no connections to the state as well as some far reaches.
I suggest these schools:
UIC
Southern Illinois
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU
Tulane
Belmont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)
Thank you for the reply! Would you say I still have a fair shot at getting accepted into these schools even though I retook the mcat twice? Also, How exactly would I apply to alice walton and roseman? will they pop up on amcas at a later date or what?

Thank you for the reply! Would you say I still have a fair shot at getting accepted into these schools even though I retook the mcat twice? Also, How exactly would I apply to alice walton and roseman? will they pop up on amcas at a later date or what?
Check AMCAS and the school websites for the new schools. You should receive interviews. Acceptances depend on how well you interview.

Reactions: 1 user
I hopefully want to work my way up and become an anesthesiologist in the future. I haven't really looked into where I'd want to work(underserved areas or not). Coming from a very poor background, I would definitely love to help those that are less fortunate, but I'd be lying if I said i have a preference. The decision to become a doctor came a little bit late(which is why my freshman year grades were all over the place). I'd say the reason I want to become a doctor is mainly because I had a long talk with my personal doctor and got intrigued enough to try it out(by shadowing and being a MA). During that "tryout" period, I enjoyed being in a position to offer help to those with health issues and seeing them get better. Also, I actually saw myself becoming a doctor one day during that time(which never happened for any other career) so I just kept diving deeper into it as time went on.
Can you tell me how you see anesthesiologists helping patients from underserved areas similar to the ones you grew up in? The conversation you had with your personal doctor... that doctor wasn't an anesthesiologist, were they?