WAMC 2024-2025 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future Tooth Fairy

Reaction score
Date of submission: Beginning of June
Overall GPA: 4.0
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
24 AA, 26 TS, 21 PAT, 21 QR, 18 RC, 27 Bio, 25 Gen Chem, 27 Orgo
State of Residence: Texas

Major: Chemistry
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 90 total hours, 55 with general dentists, 35 with orthodontists
Volunteering Experience: 250 total hours. Co-founded a service club (100 hours), after school volunteer at elementary school (50 hours), hospital volunteer (100 hours)
Employment: Preschool teacher before college. In the summers between semesters, I worked at a country club as a server and a private nanny.
Research: 600 hours of analytical chemistry undergrad research. Presented at two American Chemical Society conferences. Pending publication.
Other Extracurriculars: Not really... I love art, running, and reading...
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No
Relevant Honors or Awards: Valedictorian, outstanding graduating student, outstanding researcher, outstanding underclassman, Dean's list each year.
LOR type and strength: 3 letters from professors (including my research advisor), all strong. 1 letter from an orthodontist I shadowed, she's a family friend... should be strong. Could get a letter from a general that I shadowed too...
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
Super nervous about my low RC, I don't know what happened... I scored higher on all practice tests.
School list:

I am struggling to know where to apply out of state... any suggestions or advice would be appreciated
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
Texas A&M
University of Washington
UNC (a stretch)
UPenn (also a stretch)
VCU
University of Colorado
University of Alabama
University of Florida

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: Beginning of June
Overall GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 24 AA, 26 TS, 21 PAT, 21 QR, 18 RC, 27 Bio, 25 Gen Chem, 27 Orgo
State of Residence: Texas

Major: Chemistry
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 90 total hours, 55 with general dentists, 35 with orthodontists
Volunteering Experience: 250 total hours. Co-founded a service club (100 hours), after school volunteer at elementary school (50 hours), hospital volunteer (100 hours)
Employment: Preschool teacher before college. In the summers between semesters, I worked at a country club as a server and a private nanny.
Research: 600 hours of analytical chemistry undergrad research. Presented at two American Chemical Society conferences. Pending publication.
Other Extracurriculars: Not really... I love art, running, and reading...
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No
Relevant Honors or Awards: Valedictorian, outstanding graduating student, outstanding researcher, outstanding underclassman, Dean's list each year.
LOR type and strength: 3 letters from professors (including my research advisor), all strong. 1 letter from an orthodontist I shadowed, she's a family friend... should be strong. Could get a letter from a general that I shadowed too...
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Super nervous about my low RC, I don't know what happened... I scored higher on all practice tests.
School list:
I am struggling to know where to apply out of state... any suggestions or advice would be appreciated
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
Texas A&M
University of Washington
UNC (a stretch)
UPenn (also a stretch)
VCU
University of Colorado
University of Alabama
University of Florida
how come only 3 out of the 4 texas schools?

UNC and UF take very few oos students, although your stats are superb, so prob ok as long as you know this

how did you come up with this list?

Welcome to the forums.

From the other thread: don't retake your DAT. You're good.

You should get enough attention in-state from Texas schools. Apply to all of them, including El Paso even if you don't see yourself there.

There aren't any private schools on your list (oops! Except for Penn). Why did you list UNC, UW, UAB, and UF? Would you really want to move out of Texas and pay higher OOS tuition there? What are your connections to the communities served by these schools?

A 4.0/24/21 and no interest in the usual brand suspects? Your application may grab attention if you wanted to shoot there. Suggestion: it might be nice to get some community service involvement with the elderly or veterans, especially if you want to boost your shot within Texas.

Why should schools want to interview you?

Members don't see this ad :)
how come only 3 out of the 4 texas schools?

UNC and UF take very few oos students, although your stats are superb, so prob ok as long as you know this

how did you come up with this list?
I can't see myself living in El Paso, but after Mr.Smile12's response, I will definitely be applying to all 4 schools.

I came up with this list by researching schools and considering where I could see myself living for four years. I am really struggling to come up with a list of schools to apply to. Do you have suggestions?

Welcome to the forums.

From the other thread: don't retake your DAT. You're good.

You should get enough attention in-state from Texas schools. Apply to all of them, including El Paso even if you don't see yourself there.

There aren't any private schools on your list (oops! Except for Penn). Why did you list UNC, UW, UAB, and UF? Would you really want to move out of Texas and pay higher OOS tuition there? What are your connections to the communities served by these schools?

A 4.0/24/21 and no interest in the usual brand suspects? Your application may grab attention if you wanted to shoot there. Suggestion: it might be nice to get some community service involvement with the elderly or veterans, especially if you want to boost your shot within Texas.

Why should schools want to interview you?
Thank you so much for your feedback.

I changed my application to all 4 Texas schools, I appreciate the advice.

I really want to stay in Texas if possible. I love it here, and in-state tuition is great. I will definitely look into more private schools.

Again, I appreciate the suggestion! I'm looking into community service opportunities now!

Reactions: 1 user
I can't see myself living in El Paso, but after Mr.Smile12's response, I will definitely be applying to all 4 schools.

I came up with this list by researching schools and considering where I could see myself living for four years. I am really struggling to come up with a list of schools to apply to. Do you have suggestions?
i suggest you do more research into mission fit
"where i could see myself living for four years" is not mission fit
having mission fit with schools is what gets you interviews and acceptances...

i suggest you do more research into mission fit
"where i could see myself living for four years" is not mission fit
having mission fit with schools is what gets you interviews and acceptances...
I appreciate that feedback, thank you!