USN vs. MWU-IL?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heYou

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I got accepted to both USN and MWU-IL, but I need to make a decision between the two! :) They're both new schools and I'm not really sure what I should make my decision based on between the two. I like both campuses and the weather is about the same in both areas. Prices are also the same for both schools. What would you suggest?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
I got accepted to both USN and MWU-IL, but I need to make a decision between the two! :) They're both new schools and I'm not really sure what I should make my decision based on between the two. I like both campuses and the weather is about the same in both areas. Prices are also the same for both schools. What would you suggest?

Salt Lake is a great place to live. I would much rather be in Utah than Chicago. Cost of living is much lower.

USN might not get accreditation....if they fail to pass in August 2011, your matriculation could be delayed =/

I would choose USN for sure. I am biased because I choose USN over a few different schools. Accreditation should not play into the factor at all for a couple reasons. They will get accredited. Most the Deans there have been on the board of accreditation for other schools and they know what they are doing. Also, there has never been a school that didn't get accredited. So don't worry about that. USN will be a great school and I hope to see you there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dentalguy1: what reasons made you choose USN over other schools? Do you think we'll be able to get enough patients for the clinical requirements we'll need? I feel like Chicago would be more populated with patients for us

Salt Lake is a great place to live. I would much rather be in Utah than Chicago. Cost of living is much lower.

Why would you rather live in Utah? That was one of my reasons towards Chicago. Is it only because of the cost of living? I feel there is more to do in Chicago than in Utah.

What's important to you?

A few things to think about (USN v. MWU-IL)
-Class Sizes (64 vs. ~110-120?)
-Part I Boards (Taken after first year vs. during/after second year)
-Curriculum (P/F grading vs. ABC scale)
-Cost of Living (Utah) vs. Leisure (MWU-IL)

I choose USN for a number of reasons, you can look at some of my previous posts as to why. I'm not concerned at all with not having enough patients. There are a lot of undeserved people that live in both North and South of the campus not to mention the number of universities in the area that have a lot of students that would be happy to pay less for dental work. Being the only dental school in Utah, we will be getting a lot of patients.

And Heyou, I would definitely say that Chicago is a "better" place to live. Chicago is a great town with so much to do. But during dental school the majority of your time is devoted to school, you don't get to go out much. Utah is good too though. SL is a pretty cool town and there is tons to do if you are in to hiking, mountain biking, skiing/snowboarding.

Either way, let us know what you choose! A decision is still pending for me at USN, so I'd love for you to choose Chicago. Please choose Chicago.