Tufts vs. Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In case anyone is interested, I did a quick & dirty spreadsheet for 2005 NIH funding to med schools divided by faculty number. The schools of interest here:

BU:
$426,585.83
Tufts:
$305,617.73

Harvard:$464,522.41

Members don't see this ad.

In case anyone is interested, I did a quick & dirty spreadsheet for 2005 NIH funding to med schools divided by faculty number. The schools of interest here:

BU:
$426,585.83
Tufts:
$305,617.73

WOW, You did that. Amazing. Thanks Bleargh.

BU:
$426,585.83
Tufts:
$305,617.73

Difference between BU and Harvard less than I thought. I bet the ones on the first page (of the US News ranking) are SO close.

Members don't see this ad :)

BU:
$426,585.83
Tufts:
$305,617.73

I also am surprised both by how close BU is to harvard and how far away BU is from Tufts. Thanks bleargh.

Difference between BU and Harvard less than I thought. I bet the ones on the first page (of the US News ranking) are SO close.

That data is also from 2005. I found the medical school rankings (earliest) I could find from 2007....BU is 28 and Tufts is 42.

http://lawbusinessschools.blogspot.com/2007/01/americas-best-medical-schools-2007.html

So BU has come down a bit from that spot (it's 35 now). Thus, I'm assuming there is less of a disparity in research money between the two now.

My apologies guys, I need to post a correction, these numbers I put above are $ PER GRANT, not per faculty. I'm working on an updated version, but i fcked up and used 07 (i think) faculty numbers with 08 (i think) grant numbers. argg. sorry guys, i made this a week ago. preliminarily though, this is some of it. in parantheses are basic science:clinical faculty ratio, because i feel it might not be an insignificant issue. FYI, the sheet was made cross-referencing faculty data from the AAMC website and grant data from the NIH website.

BU: (0.20)
GTown: (0.15)
Tufts: (0.10)
Harvard: (0.05)
20491.35 (harvard is skewed by the fact that they have 7500 clinical faculty :eek:)

honestly, those research figures are pretty useless (as is USNews) because most of us will not be doing super-intense research/grant writing. What you need to consider is cost of attendance, curriculum, grading, and gut-feeling. You luckily avoid the location comparison because both schools are located in boston.

ask yourself, how do the facilities and resources compare? how were the students? faculty? how diverse is each class? even resort (unfortunately) to comparing the match lists. Try to reason to yourself why one school is better than the other. No one (including USNews rankings) should be making your mind up for you.

I wish I had the chance to interview at BU so I could contribute some ideas, but I've only seen Tufts, a school that I didn't know much about but REALLY impressed me. I would definitely choose it over my current choices if it weren't for the price-tag which is significantly higher than my other choices.

Thank you everyone for all the replies thus far. I got a great feel from both these schools so its hard to go from gut feeling, and you guys have raised some good points.

To add a third school into the mix, how do you guys feel Einstein compares to BU/Tufts (outside of just Boston vs. NYC)?

Thank you everyone for all the replies thus far. I got a great feel from both these schools so its hard to go from gut feeling, and you guys have raised some good points.

To add a third school into the mix, how do you guys feel Einstein compares to BU/Tufts (outside of just Boston vs. NYC)?

Einstein is a pretty good school too. I would wait for financial aid from all three of these schools ,b/c honestly you can't go wrong with any of the three.

Personally, Einstein's location threw me off so much that I don't think I would personally consider going their over either BU or Tufts. Money is a consideration, but I'd personally pay the difference (assuming it's not too much different) to not attend school in that area of the Bronx.

Given those options, I would vote BU. It's expensive, but there seems to be a very well established mission, organized curriculum, etc. Plus, you get a regional one up to match into MGH and other great Boston hospitals. I didn't interview at Tufts though, so can't comment too much.

Hey DoctwoB,

Congrats on your acceptances! I don't think you can go wrong with any of these schools and at the end of the day they have more similarities than differences. I have friends at Tufts and Einstein and they are happy there.

My 2cents... I was in a similar situation with regards to Tufts and BU last year (didn't interview at einstein) and I'm a first year at BU now and very happy here. Sorry for the long post, but I figured I have some perspective on this so...

The short version of my differential for BU and Tufts was (in order of importance to me)
clinical training: BU>tufts
research opportunities: BU>tufts
pre-clinical facilities: tufts>BU
prestige/ease of getting into a competitive residency: difficult to asses, and depends on what you want to do, more or less =, but not = for all specialties. i.e. I was interested in ortho and ER, and BU is definitely a better place to go with those interests (this should be low on your lists though because most people's interests change at some point during med school).
Most other things: BU = tufts

Some of the factors that played into my decision were ones that have been talked about above. I really wanted to have my clinical years in a safety net hospital setting for a few reasons. You get significantly more hands on training, you get to see advanced and diverse pathology from a global patient population (BMC has translators in some insane number of languages, like 30-50, on staff), and it is the busiest level 1 trauma center and ER in New England. Not to mention that there are very few places in the US where all patients get the same treatment regardless of income level/insurance status (even with the Massachusetts HCR BMC sees >15% uninsured patients). The 3rd and 4th years I know have confirmed that the clinical training is very strong, and said that they realized on away rotations how much stronger the clinical training was at BU than at the well-regarded places they were rotating at.

My general take on medical schools was that how happy and comfortable you are for your preclinical years is important, but that the schools all have to teach more or less the same thing, so your happiness ~ ability to succeed in preclinical years. The clinical experience seems much more variable and BU's strength in this area is definitely what drove my decision.

From a research perspective, BU has a lot to offer in both the clinical and basic science realms and this was a factor for me as well.

Finally, I felt like BU has its own niche in the crowded ecosystem of academic medicine in Boston and I didn't feel the same way about Tufts.

Anyways, good luck w/your decisions and feel free to ask questions. Like I said, you can't go wrong and while I'm happy at BU and feel it was the right place for me I think I would have also liked Tufts and don't have trouble seeing how people would choose it instead.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.