• Forums Updates - Tuesday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Tuesday, June 11 starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.

Transferring from one program to another

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sam1989

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just started my critical care fellowship this past month and I am very unhappy with the lack of teaching & structure in the program. I did a subspecialty fellowship prior to this at an institute that valued teaching and its a huge culture shock for me. In addition, when we rotate in other ICUs - their census is about 25-30 and you are the only fellow available there with no supervision in the afternoon or evening(and no didactics). Some might say its too early to judge but its a culture that seems very pervasive here. I want to essentially transfer to another program but its not easy - I am looking for advice in navigating the situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I just started my critical care fellowship this past month and I am very unhappy with the lack of teaching & structure in the program. I did a subspecialty fellowship prior to this at an institute that valued teaching and its a huge culture shock for me. In addition, when we rotate in other ICUs - their census is about 25-30 and you are the only fellow available there with no supervision in the afternoon or evening(and no didactics). Some might say its too early to judge but its a culture that seems very pervasive here. I want to essentially transfer to another program but its not easy - I am looking for advice in navigating the situation.

Not a good situation but your options are limited. Make the best of what you have and be thankful you have a spot.

Also it is a pandemic—this culture may have existed before the pandemic but icus everywhere are full with bad ratios all around. On the end you just need a board certification and experience, teach yourself if you have to but blowing up your spot is more likely to lead to no icu training in a more permanent sense.