MD Too late to switch into ortho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

U23527

Of the Sharingan
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
USMD M3 student here a few days out from end of the year, was thinking of doing ENT for the longest time but found it really boring when I did my rotation in it. Then considered switching to rads bc I also found it interesting but thinking back, I actually loved my ortho rotation and was considering switching again. I really enjoy the OR and the procedures are something I would def miss if I went into rads. Would my app be competitive enough for a late switch? Here are my stats so far:

Clinical grades: 4H (IM and Surg included), 3HP, not sure about last rotation yet
Research: 5 pubs total, 3 in ENT, 2 other, 3 in process of submission, working on some MSK rads papers so hopefully good ortho overlap
6 posters at conferences
Volunteering: some here and there, maybe 4 experiences overall
STEP 1: Pass
STEP 2: Haven't taken yet, going thru uworld 2nd pass and at 83% rn so hopefully can score well on the real deal

Ik part of the equation is step 2 score, so it might be hard to say. Too late to switch now? Should I just stick with rads and just keep going? Would appreciate any feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
unfortunately only neck up :/
That's too bad. Those beefy yellow pecs would assure your future.

Is it too late? Probably not, but you'll have to lock down some ortho sub-I's ASAP.

Also, orthopods work very, very hard (in training, at least). Going that route because you enjoy the OR and like procedures may be like swatting a mosquito with an F-150.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
That's too bad. Those beefy yellow pecs would assure your future.

Is it too late? Probably not, but you'll have to lock down some ortho sub-I's ASAP.

Also, orthopods work very, very hard (in training, at least). Going that route because you enjoy the OR and like procedures may be like swatting a mosquito with an F-150.
i’ll get on the gym grind then haha

thanks for your reply tho! i’ll look into getting some more ortho electives/aways. also i’m totally aware of how brutal the residency is, got to work with residents on my ortho rotation and did similar hours to them (albeit with weekends), i am okay with making the sacrifice for ortho tho, i really didn’t mind being at the hospital early and leaving late bc the procedures and people were really great

Dude eras opens in a few mos...

If u really want ortho u would very likely need a research year.. not for pubs, but for networking

Step 2 is just a cutoff, a checkmark. I know many 260s going unmatched and ppl w 230s 240s matching bc they have strong relationships w mentors over years.

Full disclosure I am applying ortho this cycle, but even I wish I had networked more like my classmates who been working on projects with the same mentor since ms1. Good luck if u apply. While not impossible by any means, the ppl I know who got in w no research/no mentors were URM + women