seeking advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IUgrad

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone,
I am a new member seeking some advice...
I recently graduated with a non-science BA/BS (journalism and business). My cumulative UGPA is 3.2, but I do have an upward trend in my grades. (I got mostly As my last four semesters which offset my first two.) I have only taken one science class and I am trying to decide between the post-bac route or "doing it on your own" (at local college) route. Your comments on the site have been very helpful, but I was wondering if anyone could offer me any specific advice for my situation.
I still live in the town where I went to college and the premedical adviser there told me to take the classes at my undergrad college (Indiana U). He said that it would not be worthwhile for me to enroll in a formal post-bac program. However, I have some concerns about this.
First of all, the only state med school is Indiana University, which I've heard is very competitive (average GPA is around 3.7). I know I probably wouldn't get in there. If I did a post-bac program in another state, would I get in-state residency there, which would give me a broader base of state schools to choose from? My brother goes to Ohio State and he suggested that I take the classes there so that I could apply to Ohio schools after I obtain residency. Does anyone know more about this?
Also, I know that some of these programs have linkage agreements with schools, which could be beneficial to me. I like the idea of an agreement that if you perform at X level you are guaranteed admission or interview. However, does anyone know if I would even qualify for these programs (with linkage agreements) with my GPA? I tried researching this to find out the average GPAs for the post-bac programs but I haven?t had much luck.
I understand that financial aid is easier to obtain through a post-bac program. If I were to take the prereqs my university, I would have to enroll as a non-degree student, which means no financial aid. Since I cannot pay for this out-of-pocket, this is also a great concern to me. Does anyone know more about financial aid at these programs?
Do admissions people view post-bacs more favorably than doing it on your own?
I would really appreciate any advice you could offer (with any part of this process, as I am new to it all).
Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.