Reducing and Finalizing my School List - CA ORM, 508 and 3.8

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mob18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello and a sincere thank you to anyone who advises

California resident, ORM
508 equal distribution (127)

Undergrad: top public university in UC system, was a transfer from CC
Cumulative and science GPA would both be 3.87, however I have one F very early on (mid teens) --> AMCAS sGPA 3.65 and cGPA 3.74. (retook next semester and scored A)
Note: I am applying as though I have a 3.80. I think Adcoms will understand

Thousands of hours in clinical experience, volunteering, research, teaching, mentoring, shadowing, etc. Have some strong, extended ECs with underserved children.
PS and LORs are good.

No publications

Honors, President's and Dean's list, merit scholarships, Cum Laude (nothing special)

Methodology:
Schools I'm interested in, am above 10th percentile MCAT and have over 20% OOS matriculation are on the list. I have some dream reaches (listed separately). For OOS Public institutions, I decided based on the MSAR OOS Accepted data.

My goal is to reduce the list to 40 (± a few) schools. Thankfully I've received the FAP and have a few hundred saved for additional schools. I'm working on secondaries as well.

In alphabetical order:

OOS
Albany
Arizona Tucson
Colorado (OOS Accepted 10th percentile MCAT is 507)
Connecticut
Cooper Rowan
Creighton
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Geisinger
George Washington
Georgetown
Louisville
Loyola Stritch
Medical College Wisconsin
Michigan State
New York Medical College NYMC
Nova
Oakland Beaumont
OHSU (ties in Portland)
Penn State
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Rutgers Wood Johnson (Piscataway)
Seton Hall
South Carolina
South Carolina Greenville
Temple
Toledo
Tulane
Utah
Vermont Larner
Virginia Commonwealth
Virginia Tech Carilion
Wake Forest
Washington (OOS is high, but is there love for CA applicants? worth it?)
Wayne State
West Virginia
Wisconsin Madison
Wright State

CA Schools
UCR (strong ties to area)
Loma Linda (still considering, apprehensive about fit)
UC Davis

Reaches and ultra-Reaches
Emory
Ohio State
St. Louis Missouri
Thomas Jefferson
SUNY Downstate
Tufts
Iowa Carver
Miami Miller
UCLA
UCSD
UCI

Unsure (these are slightly below my 20% OOS cutoff, are these worth an application?)
Rutgers Newark (19% OOS matriculated)
Central Michigan (19% OOS mat.)
Florida Herbert Wertheim (19% OOS mat.)

I know my stats are subpar. That one F early on has done a number on my confidence. I'm trying to apply broadly and not lose hope for dream schools I'm at or above 10th percentile MCAT.
I'm not looking to make any donations, but I am willing to take chances, small as they be.

This is a lot of information, again a sincere thank you for your help and advice.

Members don't see this ad.

U Washington accepts less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the northwest. You should realize that many of the non residents accepted to state public schools are former residents, attended the undergraduate school, are legacies, veterans or URM.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
TCU-UNT
UC Riverside
UC Davis
UC Irvine
California University
Kaiser
Loma Linda

Reactions: 1 user
Hello and a sincere thank you to anyone who advises

California resident, ORM
508 equal distribution (127)

Undergrad: top public university in UC system, was a transfer from CC
Cumulative and science GPA would both be 3.87, however I have one F very early on (mid teens) --> AMCAS sGPA 3.65 and cGPA 3.74. (retook next semester and scored A)
Note: I am applying as though I have a 3.80. I think Adcoms will understand

Thousands of hours in clinical experience, volunteering, research, teaching, mentoring, shadowing, etc. Have some strong, extended ECs with underserved children.
PS and LORs are good.

No publications

Honors, President's and Dean's list, merit scholarships, Cum Laude (nothing special)

Methodology:
Schools I'm interested in, am above 10th percentile MCAT and have over 20% OOS matriculation are on the list. I have some dream reaches (listed separately). For OOS Public institutions, I decided based on the MSAR OOS Accepted data.

My goal is to reduce the list to 40 (± a few) schools. Thankfully I've received the FAP and have a few hundred saved for additional schools. I'm working on secondaries as well.
Here is a more realistic list. MSAR is not helpful if you don't look at the %'s of accepts for OOS vs IS for state schools.
U VM
U Toledo
Rush
NYMC (maybe)
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
MCW
SLU
WVU
Wayne State
Tulane
Loyola
Wake Forest
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
VCU
Netter
Seton Hall
EVMS
Oakland-B
Gtown
GWU
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
TCU/UNT
UCD
UCI
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much @Faha and @Goro

Here are the schools that were on my initial list, but neither of you recommended. From these schools, do you believe absolutely any are worth a shot? or are they going to be donations?

Arizona Tucson
Central Michigan (19% OOS mat.)
Colorado
Connecticut
Cooper Rowan
Emory
Florida Herbert Wertheim (19% OOS mat.)
Geisinger
Iowa Carver
Louisville
Miami Miller
Michigan State
Ohio State
OHSU (ties in Portland)
Rutgers Newark (19% OOS matriculated)
Rutgers Wood Johnson (Piscataway)
South Carolina
SUNY Downstate
Tufts
UCLA (512 cutoff official?)
UCSD
Utah
Virginia Tech Carilion
Wisconsin Madison
Wright State

MSAR is not helpful if you don't look at the %'s of accepts for OOS vs IS for state schools.

Is that info in the MSAR? I tabulated the OOS interview and matriculation percentages but didn't do this. I'd love to see this data

The MSAR does show the % of non residents interviewed. The percentage interviewed is lower for those who have no connection to the state. Some schools also give preference to residents of adjoining states (for example in some recent years half of Toledo's non residents are from Michigan). Most of those schools you listed above would be donations. 40 schools is too many to apply to and it would be difficult to do satisfactory secondaries for that many schools.

Reactions: 1 users
The following schools will be donations. They don't need the money. Take your SO out for dinner instead

Arizona Tucson
Central Michigan
Colorado
Connecticut
Cooper Rowan
Emory
Florida Herbert Wertheim
Geisinger
Iowa Carver
Louisville
Miami Miller
Michigan State
Ohio State
OHSU
Rutgers Newark
Rutgers Wood Johnson
South Carolina
SUNY Downstate
UCLA
UCSD
Utah
Virginia Tech Carilion
Wisconsin Madison
Wright State

Look at the number of OOS vs IS apps.
Look at the number of IS vs OOS interviews.
Look at the number of OOS vs IS matriculants. Estimate that the number of acceptees will be 2x as many seats.

Thus, the odds of you getting an II are much outweighed by people from IS.

Also look at the 10th %iles of acceptees. State schools highly favor the home team, and so you have to be > avg. Your MCAT is three basis point below the national median.

Thank you both for the input, saved me future effort and money

The following schools will be donations. They don't need the money. Take your SO out for dinner instead

Arizona Tucson
Central Michigan
Colorado
Connecticut
Cooper Rowan
Emory
Florida Herbert Wertheim
Geisinger
Iowa Carver
Louisville
Miami Miller
Michigan State
Ohio State
OHSU
Rutgers Newark
Rutgers Wood Johnson
South Carolina
SUNY Downstate
UCLA
UCSD
Utah
Virginia Tech Carilion
Wisconsin Madison
Wright State

Look at the number of OOS vs IS apps.
Look at the number of IS vs OOS interviews.
Look at the number of OOS vs IS matriculants. Estimate that the number of acceptees will be 2x as many seats.

Thus, the odds of you getting an II are much outweighed by people from IS.

Also look at the 10th %iles of acceptees. State schools highly favor the home team, and so you have to be > avg. Your MCAT is three basis point below the national median.
Is Wright State not OOS friendly? On the MSAR they accept a decent number of OOS.

And I noticed you but West Virginia as good to apply to? Is this true for OOS ORM?

Is Wright State not OOS friendly? On the MSAR they accept a decent number of OOS.

And I noticed you but West Virginia as good to apply to? Is this true for OOS ORM?

Is West Virginia known to be a poorer choice for OOS ORM?

U WV is friendly to OOS, especially for IIs. It seems that it likes people from neighboring states.

Wright State is not as OOS friendly as U WV

U WV is friendly to OOS, especially for IIs. It seems that it likes people from neighboring states.

Wright State is not as OOS friendly as U WV

Do you think it's worth to apply West Virginia for CA ORM though? Because doesn't WV screen for nearby states?

hi just wondering, did you have any luck with the MD cycle? ik this was a few years ago but i plan on applying this cycle with a 508 and am a CA ORM.