Rabies Vaccine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetwhaley

c/o Ross 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an internship that requires a rabies vaccine and I know most school require it anyway. First of all how do I find out who can administer that, second how have people paid for it?

Members don't see this ad.

If you can wait until vet school, the school insurance will usually cover it.

I had to get it at a pharmacy and pay out of pocket ~$300/shot

I have a state insurance so I highly doubt that they'll pay for it xD but thanks for the tips! Where do you call for asking if the hospital has it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Check your area for a travel doctor (not mobile but like...for people traveling who need vaccines for areas with certain things like yellow fever/rabies/dengue).
I ended up being able to get mine at Walgreens, BUT only one specific Walgreens 40 minutes from my house was able to order it. The closer ones said they couldn’t get it from the warehouse or something. No idea why only that Walgreens was allowed/able to get it.

Another place to check would be the county health department. Or ask whatever people in vetmed (bosses coworkers etc) where they got theirs.

Reactions: 1 user
I will have to pick it up at my pharmacy and then take it to my PCP's office. I didn't have coverage but I called Aetna(state insurance) and argued with them and they agreed to pay everything except $400 of it (better than $1200). I told them is was career necessity.

As it turns out, my insurance wouldn't cover the shots, but my (well, my parents) prescription card did. I got a prescription from my doctor and got it fully covered by the prescription card. Just another idea you can try!

I had to get them to volunteer somewhere and I got them for a reduced price through my university clinic. Not sure if you are still in school but someone else reading this might be.

I got mine at a Walgreens. Super easy. Also paid $1050 out of pocket for them:dead:

I got mine at a Walgreens. Super easy. Also paid $1050 out of pocket for them:dead:
Somehow my insurance covered them last summer even though I pay everything out of pocket until I reach my deductible. I still am convinced I’m going to get a big ol bill in the mail from the insurance saying they messed up and I owe them $900

I’ve tried mine on insurance and they won’t cover it, so that sucks. I can order them through work, but they’re still over $300 a shot.

My university clinic has them but like others have said, they were $250 each for three shots. I didn’t get them because I didn’t NEED them, but I knew they were available.

Will your internship pay? If it's something with a college/ university they may. Just speaking from personal experience- my university said I needed the rabies vax for my thesis research and I was able to get them at the school's health center for free!

I will have to pick it up at my pharmacy and then take it to my PCP's office. I didn't have coverage but I called Aetna(state insurance) and argued with them and they agreed to pay everything except $400 of it (better than $1200). I told them is was career necessity.

Please teach me your ways, please! I have Cigna (through my mom) and they cover preventative vaccinations (which technically the rabies vaccination is preventative and all other vaccines).

I called this morning but there's some loophole on their end that they *~ will not cover "3rd party" requests such as for schools, court rulings and sports ~*. But, they told me to submit the receipt so that they can apply it to my out of pocket expenses. Super frustrating.

Please teach me your ways, please! I have Cigna (through my mom) and they cover preventative vaccinations (which technically the rabies vaccination is preventative and all other vaccines).

I called this morning but there's some loophole on their end that they *~ will not cover "3rd party" requests such as for schools, court rulings and sports ~*. But, they told me to submit the receipt so that they can apply it to my out of pocket expenses. Super frustrating.

My insurance had the same loophole. So on the phone I told them it was “career neccessity” rather than school. I literally told them I’ll be on the streets for clinics handling many unvaccinated animals. So after arguing with 4 different people about it they accepted covering it minus my $400 deductible since I was so “ high risk”. I think they just got tired of me whining about it haha.

Reactions: 1 users
My PA prescribed my rabies vaccination series so I had to pick it up from Walgreens and then go back for a Nurse's visit each time but saved me $1000 ;)

I've figured out how to get the shot but now I'm struggling of finding a place to get it administered. A lot of places won't allow me to pick it up and have it injected. Everyone says to go back to my PCP but it'll add another 5 hours to my trip during finals week.
Any suggestions? I called my local hospital, the local hospital to the Walgreens, my schools health center (still waiting to hear) and other Walgreens and pharmacy's around me.

I've figured out how to get the shot but now I'm struggling of finding a place to get it administered. A lot of places won't allow me to pick it up and have it injected. Everyone says to go back to my PCP but it'll add another 5 hours to my trip during finals week.
Any suggestions? I called my local hospital, the local hospital to the Walgreens, my schools health center (still waiting to hear) and other Walgreens and pharmacy's around me.

I know some things have changed recently-bcbs in particular. But walgreens cant administer? Also try the city-county health department that's where they sent me originally when I was back home without a vet school but I know my friend got hers at Safeway pharmacy here. Realistically if they order it in no patient should be able to "pick it up" it should be ordered and administered at the same place.