Questions??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishdoc

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just have a couple of questions about residencies, any knowledge on the subject would be appreciated.
1. I know that D.O.'s do what is called an internship year, but M.D.'s call that same first year a first year residency. Is there a difference? If so what is it?

2. What is the average amount a resident gets paid? Do interns get paid? I know it depends on where you are and what you are doing, I was just looking for ball-park figures.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Yes and no. The AOA internship is like a fifth year of osteopathic medical school, except that one is paid and the responsibilities and workload increase. Some of the AOA internships are similar to the ACGME PG-1 transitional year, indeed, some are dual accredited and are thus the same. The ACGME PG-1 year varies tremendously, depending upon what enters, eg surgery, psych, IM, OB/GYN, etc.

2. First year positions start around $26k and are as high as $45k. $33-35k/year is about average, generally higher in NYC, lower in Chicago, TX and OK. There are incremental increases ea year. FRIEDA online has the salaries for most ACGME programs.