Questions from a med student about the future of ophtho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Titus345

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a 3rd year med student that's pretty sold on applying to ophthalmology. I was hoping to hear some thoughts on what you all believe an ophthalmology practice will look like by the time I'm finished in 6-7 years. One of the things I really like about ophtho is being a part of a private practice (I have a business background), but it seems (from the outside looking in) like operating a private practice in medicine is becoming more difficult. I also recently saw that proposed CMS cuts to ophtho services were somewhat significant. Sorry if this seems like I'm over-analyzing this kind of stuff, but I would like to go into residency with my eyes wide open to what I may realistically expect a practice to look like afterwards. Also, I'm looking to practice in a rural area in the Midwest if that helps at all (let me know if you have any other questions for me). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's going to be fine. Reimbursements are going down, but especially in the rural Midwest, you'll have a fine salary and no shortage of patients.

Lots of PE interest in ophtho, so be prepared for that.

Whether you're employed by an independent group, a PE firm, or a large hospital system, or you open your own practice, you'll be able to make a decent salary.

The large-scale, dehumanizing changes that are taking place in medicine are affecting all specialties.

Reactions: 1 users