NICU Fellowship Program Reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soyouwannabeadoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a PGY2 applying to NICU fellowship this summer. I am hoping to be in the Northeast and am hoping to get some advice on general reputations of various northeast programs and specifically comparing the NYC programs. I generally do not rely much on rankings as they are very skewed and often don't reflect what is actually important about a program so hoping to gain some insight into reputations of NICU programs to keep in the back of my mind so I can make informed decisions as to where to apply. Any thoughts on the comparative reputations of the following:

Columbia, Cornell, Sinai, NYU, Montefiore, LIJ/Cohen's, Westchester Medical Center/Maria Farreri, Yale, Children's National, CHOP, Boston Children's, Hopkins, RWJ.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I thought this thread was locked? I guess what do I know?!

Even so, you will need to go to a place that has the highest likelihood of professional development. Interestingly, not knowing the facets of neonatology but pediatric ICU, that is entirely dependent on you and not the program.

CHOP/Boston > Columbia > Cornell/Hopkins > Yale > the rest
Add UAB and IOWA these two are some of the top performing NICUs in the country. Wally Carlo from UAB is one of the most reknown neonatologist in the world with several landmark research at UAB since 1990s

Hello,

I am a PGY2 applying to NICU fellowship this summer. I am hoping to be in the Northeast and am hoping to get some advice on general reputations of various northeast programs and specifically comparing the NYC programs. I generally do not rely much on rankings as they are very skewed and often don't reflect what is actually important about a program so hoping to gain some insight into reputations of NICU programs to keep in the back of my mind so I can make informed decisions as to where to apply. Any thoughts on the comparative reputations of the following:

Columbia, Cornell, Sinai, NYU, Montefiore, LIJ/Cohen's, Westchester Medical Center/Maria Farreri, Yale, Children's National, CHOP, Boston Children's, Hopkins, RWJ.

Thanks!
When comparing some of these programs, location, cost of living and the type of research past neo fellows have done are going to matter more than "reputation". If nearly all the fellows do lab based vs clinical/Qi projects, that will be a big factor depending on your interests. It also matters if you are more oriented towards a research focused or clinical practicing career. If expanding up and down the east coast, also consider Vanderbilt and Emory as well as Brown and Albany.