NBC Nightly News - UCF Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:rolleyes: either has a little humility.

S/he is a pharmacy student. S/he will be humbled in the clinical setting.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
That and because quality of life is much higher than most doctors can ever expect to achieve.

Indeed. A lot of positions seem to hire in the $90k range and can move up to the $100k in time. Not a bad gig at all. Great salary, great quality of life, good hours.............NO HUGE DEBTS.

My local pharmacy school has tuition lower than the tuition was at my undergraduate school....only $4k cheaper per semester :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

S/he is a pharmacy student. S/he will be humbled in the clinical setting.

Trust me if myself or many pharmacy students wanted to go the DO route, we easily could have. Stats for DO school are not hard to achieve. I'm a guy by the way.

Physicians and Pharmacists serve as experts in their own profession and work together to improve health outcomes. One professional shouldn't try to humble another in a clinical setting, instead they should collaborate.

Last edited:
Indeed. A lot of positions seem to hire in the $90k range and can move up to the $100k in time. Not a bad gig at all. Great salary, great quality of life, good hours.............NO HUGE DEBTS.

My local pharmacy school has tuition lower than the tuition was at my undergraduate school....only $4k cheaper per semester :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Pharmacy Students still have large debts. 4 years of undergrad + 4 years of pharmacy school. Most private schools average around $30k per year. State schools will obviously be cheaper at around $14k a year.

Last edited:
Lets get some of your statements straight. CVS average salary is $55 an hour which is over 100k, but seeing as most pharmacists are going into the clinical setting the average salary may be closer to $105k.

Pharmacy Students still have large debts. 4 years of undergrad + 4 years of pharmacy school. Most private schools average around $30k per year. State schools will obviously be cheaper at around $14k a year.
A lot of places have 6 year programs though, so you enter right from high school.

And more importantly has UCF filled up their class yet???

Members don't see this ad :)
JK wrong thread.

Last edited:
Comparing physicians to pharmacists is pretty silly. I never heard a dying man cry out for someone to get him a pharmacist. I'm not judgin' I'm just sayin'.....

Comparing physicians to pharmacists is pretty silly. I never heard a dying man cry out for someone to get him a pharmacist. I'm not judgin' I'm just sayin'.....

Huh? What is that all about. Who said anything about doctors being more important than pharmacists?

It's good to see more med schools opening up. More opportunities for premeds, more docs being produced, which we need.
The broadcast was interesting. The free tuition deal is definitely a good deal for the students who can get it...

r.e. the new school in Florida:
-I don't have much concern about them becoming fully accredited...the LCME has been on board with starting this new school, and I would expect them to have all their ducks in a row. I wouldn't compare this to an unaccredited law school (of which there are many).
-From what I have heard, the plan was to offer full scholarships to the first and 2nd classes. I think you can expect them to stop doing this after the first 2-3 classes, because the school won't need to do it to get students. It was a brilliant move to get some good students in their at the get-go, which should help the school's reputation.
-Comparing themselves to Harvard came across as a little arrogant, but as someone said above, I guess there is nothing wrong with aiming high. You really can't compare a new school like that w/Harvard med,though, particular in terms of research opportunities (which aren't going to be there to the same extent).
-I think once they stop giving the free tuition, they are going to have to start competing with all the other Florida schools (Is this a state sponsored med school?) for students. So I'd expect them to end up with a similar student body.

Trust me if myself or many pharmacy students wanted to go the DO route, we easily could have. Stats for DO school are not hard to achieve. I'm a guy by the way.

Edit: Explain how I will be humbled in the clinical setting, pretty ballsy comment from a pre-DO student.

Physicians and Pharmacists serve as experts in their own profession and work together to improve health outcomes. One professional shouldn't try to humble another in a clinical setting, instead they should collaborate.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? His comment didn't make much sense, but what are you trying to imply?

I agree with your following statement though. It makes no sense to bash across professions.

I agree w/ previous posters about UCF's new school. Believe me, I have nothing against UCF especially since I am an alumni.
Pres. Hitt's comment that the applicant had "a perfect medcat" is just plain ignorant and he should know better being the pres. of a major state university. He just embarassed the school on national television.
Prev. poster was right on about the "free tuition", since they are not accreditied and won't be for 3-4 years the students don't qualify for financial aid, and unless they are independently wealthy millionaires, they couldn't pay their tuition.
I find it a little extreme for a school to be going off claiming what a prestigous institution they are before they have even held one single cla

Well...MCAT does stand for MEDical College Admissions Test...So I don't see why someone couldn't justifiably call it that. It does sound a little funny at first though since most of us have heard it called something different for the seemingly endless months that we had to study for it.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? His comment didn't make much sense, but what are you trying to imply?

Meaning the person hasn't even been accepted to an osteopathic institution, yet they are going to make comments like the one above. I just found it tasteless.

Chubby - I am familiar with UCF because I am alumni of the Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences. Interesting to see my alma mater make strides in the health care field. No need to defend my future profession, just clarify wrong information. I'm not quite sure why someone even brought that up in the first place.

-I think once they stop giving the free tuition, they are going to have to start competing with all the other Florida schools (Is this a state sponsored med school?) for students. So I'd expect them to end up with a similar student body.

Yup, state supported so the majority of students will probably be from FL.

If they can continue on this path of building relationships with some of the already established medical centers I think they'll be in good shape (MD Anderson, ORMC, Arnold Palmer, etc...) Right now Orlando is also one of the regional campus locations for FSU's 3rd/4th years so some shuffling may have to done at that point.

It sounds like you're describing Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, but that's not the reason at all that it's free.

"The 32 students entering the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine at Case Western Reserve University later this year will be given the gift of a tuition-free education.

The Cleveland Clinic, through its endowment and hospital operations, will pay the $43,500 tuition bill to Case, with which the program is affiliated. And more scholarship aide will be given to current students.

"Too much student debt has the potential to hinder their academic careers," said Dr. Andrew Fishleder, Executive Dean of the Lerner College of Medicine. "Debt has become problem."

Fishleder said students graduating from private medical schools have an average debt of about $160,000.

The aim is to free students from the feeling that they have to choose high-paying specialties to pay off the debt, rather than going into academic and research oriented medicine, toward which the Clinic program is geared."

I didn't realize that it was classified as a gift... does that mean that students will have tax liability because of it?

I wasn't really commenting on his use of "medcat" inasmuch as stating that the applicant had a "perfect mcat" which, as far as I can tell by searching SDN threads, has never been done.

Has anyone else ever heard of a perfect score?

I wasn't really commenting on his use of "medcat" inasmuch as stating that the applicant had a "perfect mcat" which, as far as I can tell by searching SDN threads, has never been done.

Mr larkin has confirmed that UCF has admitted a 45 this year.

Yes people have gotten perfect MCATs. Any year in which someone has reported a 15 on verbal means it's possible (and probably likely) that someone got a 45.

Yes people have gotten perfect MCATs. Any year in which someone has reported a 15 on verbal means it's possible (and probably likely) that someone got a 45.

:wow:

Sweet Jesus...

I'm not knocking anyone's choices in life. It just seems odd to me that somebody with a 4.0 and perfect MCAT would forego those silly little medical schools like Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Johns Hopkins and Stanford to go to a school who has yet to hold one class, graduate one student or even build one building for that matter.
And all that to save money on tuition? With scores like that I'm thinking they could get full scholarships to any of the above? Anyone agree?

I'm not knocking anyone's choices in life. It just seems odd to me that somebody with a 4.0 and perfect MCAT would forego those silly little medical schools like Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Johns Hopkins and Stanford to go to a school who has yet to hold one class, graduate one student or even build one building for that matter.
And all that to save money on tuition? With scores like that I'm thinking they could get full scholarships to any of the above? Anyone agree?

Not sure I agree. Just having a 4.0 and perfect MCAT does not guarantee admission anywhere, let alone Harvard. I'd probably be willing to bet that that person also did apply to the top schools.

$160,000 (actually more if you count what you'd be paying back in interest) would be very hard to pass up.

I lol'ed at the inspirational, promotional video for UCF heh.

I love when schools make those for themselves, with dramatic cinematography and music to boot.

One of the schools I interviewed at showed us their own dramatic trailer on interview day and it was an instant buzz kill (though I think I was the only one laughing :eek:).

IMO schools should leave the advertising to Devry Online University.

I didn't have a perfect MCAT or GPA, but it was still pretty easy for me to pass up Princeton Med...

I lol'ed at the inspirational, promotional video for UCF heh.

I love when schools make those for themselves, with dramatic cinematography and music to boot.

One of the schools I interviewed at showed us their own dramatic trailer on interview day and it was an instant buzz kill (though I think I was the only one laughing :eek:).

IMO schools should leave the advertising to Devry Online University.

hahahahahahaha...now I know I am not the only one who laughed at my interview when showed a trailer with dramatic music.

I didn't have a perfect MCAT or GPA, but it was still pretty easy for me to pass up Princeton Med...

I was wondering how long that would take.. But you know I am looking at Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital so I can work with Dr. House..:laugh:

I applied to Princeton's school of medicine, but they never got back to me. It's almost as if they don't exist.

I applied to Princeton's school of medicine, but they never got back to me. It's almost as if they don't exist.

That's one of the reasons I turned them down. Not very responsive to students' needs. Also, their average board scores were exceedingly low. About 198 points below the national average :eek:

That's one of the reasons I turned them down. Not very responsive to students' needs. Also, their average board scores were exceedingly low. About 198 points below the national average :eek:

Apparently they also give about $0 in financial aid, and have no university sponsored housing.

I heard there was a guy who had perfect medcats last year...got into Princeton and MIT SOM

whos saying they forgoed those top 10 schools?? All we said was that they accepted a 4.0/45 this year, doesnt mean he/she will attend.

Yeah I applied to Princeton Med also. Than one day the phone rang and the caller ID said "Princeton College of Medicine". I was excited to answer the phone, but I only heard gails of hysterical laughter on the other end....
Guess I wasn't qualified. Oh well.....

Yeah I applied to Princeton Med also. Than one day the phone rang and the caller ID said "Princeton College of Medicine". I was excited to answer the phone, but I only heard gails of hysterical laughter on the other end....
Guess I wasn't qualified. Oh well.....

It's not funny when you do it.