• Forums Updates - Tuesday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Tuesday, June 11 starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.

Methodology for Retrospective Chart Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

synchro_tr0n

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I am in an unfortunate situation where I want and need to be involved in research, but I am at a very clinical school where pretty much the only way to get research is to create the opportunity yourself. So I am blindly attempting to do so. I have a study going on now, a chart review on MI's gathering demographic information and clinical information. The residents and PI are not really enthusiastic about this study which has actually left me in a possibly good position: they offered if I want to take over and be first author. As of now we are just gathering data without much of a hypothesis looking for correlations with mortality.

Unfortunately I have very little experience and guidance is difficult to come by. I will have a database of a large amount of information at the end. Do I just run various statistics on the info and look for significance? What is a good source for methodology and considerations needed to form a proper chart review study? What is a good source for methods and explanation of statistical analysis that I could use in this study?

TL/DR
What is a source with methodology for chart reviews, what is a source for understanding the statistics I will need to use?

Thanks so much for your help!! I want research to be a big part of my future, so I want to do this right.

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on what kind of data you are collecting, I may be able to help. Feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 1 user
step 1: stop what you are you doing
step 2: read literature
step 3: have a research question (think about what is quality and clinical control vs. research)
step 4: write a proposal and go to your schools' IRB
(if you are collecting data without IRB approval the data will likely not be acceptable for publication, anywhere)

A place to start is a book called Designing Clinical Research.