LPN/LVN or Paramedic to RN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychadelicTech

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, brief info on myself; I am a 28 year old male with a bachelor's degree in Justice and Law Administration. I have never known what I want to do with my life and still have no clue. Since my last year of college I have some way somehow have had a role in the healthcare field. I volunteered for three years as an EMT. I have done about a month of work cleaning medical equipment. Another eight month's working alongside anesthesiologist and nurse anesthetists: Worked in the ER, Cath Lab, Radiology, ICU, and the OR. I did a two year stint as a psychiatric technician at a local hospital. Followed by three month's at a residential treatment center and a month at a therapeutic group home. Right now working as a Psych Tech again at an inpatient behavioral health unit at another area hospital.

For my current position similar to past work experience. I am involved in assisting the patient's with their ADLS. I take their vitals, do blood work, EKGs. I don't have a role in admissions like my previous gig. I do feel less autonomy in my notes. Where my previous gig wouldn't need a cosigner on my notes, but still have a contribution regarding treatment. I facilitate groups and assist patients with certain skills.

I currently am waitlisted for an associate nursing program in my state. I was able to achieve an 85 on the TEAS, 4.0 in Anatomy 1, 3.7 in Anatomy 2, and a 3.0 in Micro so my grades were not that stellar. I think last I looked I am around 40 on the waiting list. I talked to the advisor said take about two years on the waiting list and can try to reapply next year, but couldn’t guarantee it would be any better.

I am debating on applying to an LPN school or a paramedic school. LPNs make about $5 more than a paramedic and pay is close to a nurse with an associate degree in my state. Paramedic’s make about $18-$20 an hour in my state on the private side. However, in the civil service department’s pay is somewhat better than some nursing job’s up in the $60,000. The job market up where I live in the New England area seems basically balanced in terms of LPN and Medic jobs.

LPN school is expensive and not expensive. The state runs programs, but with the budget in crisis in CT they are talking about shutting down the LPN programs again. Anyways the program cost about $15,000 to attend. On the private sector of schools around $30,000. Paramedic school the most expensive is about $10,000.

The LPN school is a M-F 8-3 class four semester’s long with summer’s off. There is an evening program, but it cost $30,000 to go. If I do the LPN program I have to reduce my hours at work making $300 less a month then my current monthly salary of $1500. If I do the medic it is three days a week with very few Saturday rotations. Needing to be certified as an EMT can work nights at a hospital or EMS agency. I be able to work full time instead of working part time during the Medic program.
I feel be an easier transition as a paramedic to go to school down the road for my BSN, or MSN, but not 100% sure.

I would be interested in becoming a Forensic Nurse or CC Nurse probably working in the ER or a correctional facility.

Not sure any more if nursing is it for me. I mean working alongside nurses I see the politics of work and how much regulation and education suck them dry. Most of the hospitals and facilities won't even look at you if you have an ADN.

Two family members are nurses discouraging me from going the LPN route, due to limited openings. It is true there are basically no openings in the state of CT. I saw Mass has a lot would consider moving up across the border. Work with two LPNs who complain about the bridge program as well and flexibility.

I know paramedics who enjoy there job. I see more and more younger ones in there 20's on the job as Medics. I still see older ones. A lot of medics tell me to stay away from being a medic due to low pay. Can't be as bad as the $1500 a month I make now, ha.

I am thinking of retaking some prerequisites, going to rectify my EMT cert since I let it lapse, and maybe join a volunteer fire department. Enjoy working with the patient's, but miss the connection with the community.

Also considering maybe work towards paranedic degree and a graduate degree as an athletic trainer.

Any input or feedback much appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I find paramedicine to be a stepping stone for a lot of other careers paths. It's a fun job, and I truly enjoy being a paramedic. However, it can take a toll on you: many people work multiple jobs, the pay isn't the best, and back injuries are prevalent. If you are ok with that, then go for it.

Where I am from (Ohio), LPNs only work in nursing homes or home health. In fact, the local hospitals are only hiring people with a BSN (or they sign a contract to have it within a few years.) If you go the nursing route, I would encourage you to skip the LPN and at least go for the ADN.

Appreciate the feedback. I not 100% certain what I want to do career wise to be honest. I went for the ADN program, but am waitlisted. Going to try for the BSN program have another year of classes to take before I apply. Not sure if I am interested in nursing anymore or any idea what the right career is for me.

Ill add that as a paramedic, regardless of where you work, you will gain more hands on clinical decision making and patient care than you ever would as an LVN. If you decide you still want that BSN, bridge over to ADN and then take the classes. I second that all of the LVN/LPN's around here only work at nursing homes or in home health. It is rare to even find ADN's at the hospitals anymore.