KCUMB Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have until first week of July. I'm feeling very anxious.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I am sure you will be fine. I feel like a huge part of this think it's a mental game! I constantly have to remind myself that thousands have gone through this before us, and did well and so will thousands after us.

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Tell me some of you are struggling too? A little less than 3 weeks away and sometimes I feel like I know nothing. Not to mention a crappy uworld percent.

We can do this, right? Hah.

Tell me some of you are struggling too? A little less than 3 weeks away and sometimes I feel like I know nothing. Not to mention a crappy uworld percent.

We can do this, right? Hah.

I am up and down and down and up and then mediocre.....this sucks.
And my UWorld % is just hilarious.

But I keep moving...and reviewing all my wrong answers....we can do it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am up and down and down and up and then mediocre.....this sucks.
And my UWorld % is just hilarious.

But I keep moving...and reviewing all my wrong answers....we can do it. :)

I have 3 weeks left as well. Sometimes I go from being completely calm to total panic. 3 weeks is still a lot of time (that's what I keep telling myself). I'm just going to make sure to do as many questions as I can and supplement with first aid and pathoma. I need to stop spending so much time reviewing uworld and just go for pure repetition and trust that I'll see the same concepts over again.

also, I've been told not to worry about uworld percents. They are inflated. Some people do blocks of systems they just covered, which will increase the score (also some people re-do their missed scores, which also increases averages). Not sure if I'll have time to redo my questions.. also not sure if it would really be beneficial. I typically score in the 50's. I'm hoping that with 3 weeks to go I'll be able to get a passing score...? I honestly have no idea. Fingers crossed. Good luck everyone!

Hate to distract, but I need advice on how to memorize micro ridiculously simple in 2 weeks.

Is it me or do you guys/gals have trouble remembering stuff?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As a side, how useful was it for pharm?

Its very useful - but I will say, its waaaaay more in depth than micro. I've found it tougher to keep it all straight - and its freakin long compared to micro. But overall I'd still say its definitely worth it.

Just my opinion but I would use sketchy alongside while you read CMMRS. Its a good book.

This if you feel like you have time. Otherwise you can definitely get away with doing just sketchy - it should get you at least a B.

So, nice going 90/90 comlex group!

Reactions: 3 users
Dat average, wtf. Hopefully it stays like that for the rest of us that haven't gotten scores back yet...

Yeah. No joke. Haven't gotten mine either.... That average is awesome.

Yeah. No joke. Haven't gotten mine either.... That average is awesome.

Hate to ask since we will probably get the averages in a month from the new dean ( Wonder who that will be tbh). But how high is it?

I know this is early and what not. But how would you guys recommend selecting your 3rd and 4th year rotation sites? Should you be selection places based on where you want to go or where you have the likely chance of actually matching, i.e selecting Kansas City when everyone wants it as your first choice seems dangerous given that there seem to be a lot of priority students or what about Florida?

Also what do you believe are the school's best rotation sites? Which ones tend to be the ones with the most issues?

I know this is early and what not. But how would you guys recommend selecting your 3rd and 4th year rotation sites? Should you be selection places based on where you want to go or where you have the likely chance of actually matching, i.e selecting Kansas City when everyone wants it as your first choice seems dangerous given that there seem to be a lot of priority students or what about Florida?

Also what do you believe are the school's best rotation sites? Which ones tend to be the ones with the most issues?
Avoid preceptor heavy sites and go for more hospital based. This will give you the experience you need to be a successful resident. meliora27 posted advice earlier in this thread which was golden. You will get reviews about each site at some point so make sure to look out for the ones that have more inpatient experience preferably with residents.

And the competition for certain
sites changes every year. Denver used to be one of the most competitive and someone scrambled into it this past year. Think Florida may have had a scramble too. One of the Kansas sites was the most popular based off our straw poll.

sites changes every year. Denver used to be one of the most competitive and someone scrambled into it this past year. Think Florida may have had a scramble too. One of the Kansas sites was the most popular based off our straw poll.

Is it generally hard for someone to remain in KC? I'm basically not even sure whether to put it as my first option anymore.

Avoid preceptor heavy sites and go for more hospital based. This will give you the experience you need to be a successful resident. meliora27 posted advice earlier in this thread which was golden. You will get reviews about each site at some point so make sure to look out for the ones that have more inpatient experience preferably with residents.

For the most part agree, I'll add a caveat to the bolded though. Rotating with residents will definitely help you get a better feel of what being a resident will be like, and would probably help with the transition to intern year. However, if you don't want to work in the hospital after residency you'll most likely get a better feel for what you'll be doing for the 30+ years after residency following a preceptor. Personally, I don't want to set foot in a hospital to work after I finish residency, so I'd rather follow preceptors and figure out how to set up my own practice or group and just do elective and audition rotations 4th year with residents. Either way, I do think it's important to at least do some elective rotations with residents so you don't go into intern year blind and have some idea as to what you're doing.

2 people scrambled into Denver this year.

Is it generally hard for someone to remain in KC? I'm basically not even sure whether to put it as my first option anymore.

Define "hard". Usually most people that want KC will get it, but it just depends on total numbers selecting it. If it's your obvious #1, mark it as your first choice. You can always try for something less popular as your back-up, but as said it varies from year to year. Who knows, with all the BYU/Utah people in your class you might end up with everyone wanting to head back west and few people wanting to stay in KC. Especially if they don't fix the issues with the tracks.

For the most part agree, I'll add a caveat to the bolded though. Rotating with residents will definitely help you get a better feel of what being a resident will be like, and would probably help with the transition to intern year. However, if you don't want to work in the hospital after residency you'll most likely get a better feel for what you'll be doing for the 30+ years after residency following a preceptor. Personally, I don't want to set foot in a hospital to work after I finish residency, so I'd rather follow preceptors and figure out how to set up my own practice or group and just do elective and audition rotations 4th year with residents. Either way, I do think it's important to at least do some elective rotations with residents so you don't go into intern year blind and have some idea as to what you're doing.

2 people scrambled into Denver this year.

Define "hard". Usually most people that want KC will get it, but it just depends on total numbers selecting it. If it's your obvious #1, mark it as your first choice. You can always try for something less popular as your back-up, but as said it varies from year to year. Who knows, with all the BYU/Utah people in your class you might end up with everyone wanting to head back west and few people wanting to stay in KC. Especially if they don't fix the issues with the tracks.

Do you think that KC is not a good site? I've heard that there's a lot of driving around and such. I'm kinda debating Des Peres as my first choice and maybe one of the other states for the other two.

Thank you, everyone, for the input on this confusing process!

I'm curious about how electives work. I'm really interested in pathology, but I'm not sure if all the rotation sites offer or facilitate path electives. Any insight in how to select a site with a future pathology career in mind?

I'm curious about how electives work. I'm really interested in pathology, but I'm not sure if all the rotation sites offer or facilitate path electives. Any insight in how to select a site with a future pathology career in mind?

You can do electives anywhere but it's easier to do them at another KCU affiliated site. I believe each rotation site has a different process for choosing electives... the school honestly doesn't give us any information on this. I would ask a 4th year...

You can do electives anywhere but it's easier to do them at another KCU affiliated site. I believe each rotation site has a different process for choosing electives... the school honestly doesn't give us any information on this. I would ask a 4th year...

Our affiliate list is pretty much every hospital in the country give or take some MD schools affiliated one that don't appreciate DOs.

Best rotation sites: Orlando, West Palm Beach, Wichita and Michigan. These were also the most competitive (except West Palm Beach) and most of the students who unmatched chose these places as their first and second choices. KC was also competitive.

Decide whether you want to be at a hospital with residents or without residents. My site has no residents which I thought was a disadvantage but I've realized that it does have its perks: I'm with the doc the whole time which means they will know me well and have enough substance for my rec letter (residents can't write your letter), also first assist on surgeries.

3 people scrambled into Denver, 2 scrambled into Ohio, 1 for St Louis, 1 for Topeka, 1 for Indiana. All spots in rural Missouri and Arkansas were open.

I've heard good things about Des Peres. There were rumors that the hospital was closing down during our year so a lot of people avoided St. Louis but it is now being backed by St. Louis University. Des Peres makes a lot of $$$ from bariatric surgery so the decision was made to not close the hospital.

KC is hit or miss from what I've heard. I suggest doing one of the tracks because you'll be assigned at least the best docs in that specialty whereas non-track folk get the leftover docs. Don't choose KC as your second choice though; you won't get it.

First bolded: I think that's what pretty much anyone who's done rotations here will agree on. The hospitals in Orlando and Wichita are supposedly great and Michigan has more DO residencies than any other state, so they are both very DO friendly as a whole and have a lot of strong programs that DOs can work at/rotate through. WPB is a little hit or miss from what I've heard though. Some people love it, some people wish they went somewhere else. Part of it is that it's similar to KC in the fact that you travel a lot. One of our classmates' first rotation is an hour away from their core sites and she is staying in a hotel for the month of that first rotation.

I knew that a couple scrambled into Denver, but I didn't realize there was another person. I know Denver had the PE issues, but I was shocked it wasn't more popular with our class...

I've also heard KC is hit or miss. I'm here, and after talking to 3rd and 4th years apparently I got an amazing schedule, so I'm pretty pumped about that. I know some people apparently get screwed over, but I think most people will get 2-3 really solid rotations and the rest are just alright. I haven't heard to many people say anything really negative about the KC sites, but there's also a lot of them, so it's hard to gauge what your schedule will be like until you get it. One thing about the tracks to keep in mind: it will limit your experiences outside that field (sometimes significantly). If you're up in the air about what you want to do, don't do a track, as I've heard you just get stuck with whoever for your non-track rotations or end up not seeing other fields much. I'll also add that the tracks are still new and not concrete yet. Apparently we are no longer rotating at KU for surgery, and the surgery track people are pretty pissed about that now.

From what I understand we're pretty much on our own for electives. As long as we set them up 90 days before the rotation starts, we can do whatever we want. If we don't submit it in time, we just get assigned somewhere and have to do it. Along those lines though, some sites will have requirements that other sites don't. For example, one of the Florida sites (I think it's WPB, but I can't remember) requires their students to do a critical care rotation. I don't think that's common, but something else to consider before ranking the sites.

First bolded: I think that's what pretty much anyone who's done rotations here will agree on. The hospitals in Orlando and Wichita are supposedly great and Michigan has more DO residencies than any other state, so they are both very DO friendly as a whole and have a lot of strong programs that DOs can work at/rotate through. WPB is a little hit or miss from what I've heard though. Some people love it, some people wish they went somewhere else. Part of it is that it's similar to KC in the fact that you travel a lot. One of our classmates' first rotation is an hour away from their core sites and she is staying in a hotel for the month of that first rotation.

I knew that a couple scrambled into Denver, but I didn't realize there was another person. I know Denver had the PE issues, but I was shocked it wasn't more popular with our class...

I've also heard KC is hit or miss. I'm here, and after talking to 3rd and 4th years apparently I got an amazing schedule, so I'm pretty pumped about that. I know some people apparently get screwed over, but I think most people will get 2-3 really solid rotations and the rest are just alright. I haven't heard to many people say anything really negative about the KC sites, but there's also a lot of them, so it's hard to gauge what your schedule will be like until you get it. One thing about the tracks to keep in mind: it will limit your experiences outside that field (sometimes significantly). If you're up in the air about what you want to do, don't do a track, as I've heard you just get stuck with whoever for your non-track rotations or end up not seeing other fields much. I'll also add that the tracks are still new and not concrete yet. Apparently we are no longer rotating at KU for surgery, and the surgery track people are pretty pissed about that now.

From what I understand we're pretty much on our own for electives. As long as we set them up 90 days before the rotation starts, we can do whatever we want. If we don't submit it in time, we just get assigned somewhere and have to do it. Along those lines though, some sites will have requirements that other sites don't. For example, one of the Florida sites (I think it's WPB, but I can't remember) requires their students to do a critical care rotation. I don't think that's common, but something else to consider before ranking the sites.

Do programs spend time prepping you for the COMLEX PE? Any information about Ohio or Ft. Myer, what about the Indiana site?

I know I'm being annoying. I just feel a little bit thrown off by this all due to the way admin is handling information desemination. Like I'm hoping that Hospital day does a good job informing me of what the hell is the benefit of each site. I know I'm split between whether I want to stay in the city/drive and potentially go unmatched due to competition and looking at other sites either close or far.

Do programs spend time prepping you for the COMLEX PE? Any information about Ohio or Ft. Myer, what about the Indiana site?

I know I'm being annoying. I just feel a little bit thrown off by this all due to the way admin is handling information desemination. Like I'm hoping that Hospital day does a good job informing me of what the hell is the benefit of each site. I know I'm split between whether I want to stay in the city/drive and potentially go unmatched due to competition and looking at other sites either close or far.

Indiana site is new for us; we're the first class to rotate there so not much is known about it. One of the Ohio sites is solid, but I can't remember which one. Ft Myers has no residents so you get to do a lot, patient population is mostly made up of the elderly.

I highly suggest talking to upperclassmen about rotations because you'll find out things about certain rotations that the school neglects to tell you (such as what Stagg737 mentioned about WPB students having to do an extra rotation). The school doesn't tell you much.... and hospital day wasn't that helpful.

33 people went unmatched last year so your chances of getting your 1st and 2nd choices are pretty high.

Hospital day is a waste in terms of seeing rotation sites and figuring out where to go for rotations. What it is really good for is talking to the residents that are there promoting their residencies and asking them questions about their field or what they looked for when ranking programs for the real match. I learned what kind of benefits to expect from programs, how much paid time off is good/bad, what a typical week at a private program vs. an academic program looked like, etc. You can also talk to some of the PD's there and ask them what they look for in their residents, what's important for the CV's, what perks their program offers that others won't. For example, I learned that most of the FM PD's didn't give a crap about board scores, but really wanted to see that you could work well with a lot of different people and are flexible/hard working. It seemed like LOR's were by FAR the most important part of the FM application. So even if you don't really care about any of the individual programs that are there, you can still get a lot out of the experience.

Indiana site is new for us; we're the first class to rotate there so not much is known about it. One of the Ohio sites is solid, but I can't remember which one. Ft Myers has no residents so you get to do a lot, patient population is mostly made up of the elderly.

I highly suggest talking to upperclassmen about rotations because you'll find out things about certain rotations that the school neglects to tell you (such as what Stagg737 mentioned about WPB students having to do an extra rotation). The school doesn't tell you much.... and hospital day wasn't that helpful.

33 people went unmatched last year so your chances of getting your 1st and 2nd choices are pretty high.

The solid Ohio site is Doctor's Hospital in Columbus. It's another one of the 'best' rotation sites and they also have some of the stronger AOA residency programs there from what I've heard. Ohio does it's own separate "match" after the big one, and I'm pretty sure everyone picks Dr.'s as their first choice there.

Wait, 33 people in our class went unmatched? That's the highest number I've heard from any KCU class...

Anyone know if we have any step 1 data yet for our class?

Hospital day is a waste in terms of seeing rotation sites and figuring out where to go for rotations. What it is really good for is talking to the residents that are there promoting their residencies and asking them questions about their field or what they looked for when ranking programs for the real match. I learned what kind of benefits to expect from programs, how much paid time off is good/bad, what a typical week at a private program vs. an academic program looked like, etc. You can also talk to some of the PD's there and ask them what they look for in their residents, what's important for the CV's, what perks their program offers that others won't. For example, I learned that most of the FM PD's didn't give a crap about board scores, but really wanted to see that you could work well with a lot of different people and are flexible/hard working. It seemed like LOR's were by FAR the most important part of the FM application. So even if you don't really care about any of the individual programs that are there, you can still get a lot out of the experience.

Great advice, might do that this year. Are you going this year? I thought I would get some insight into residency programs and grab some free swag while I'm there.

Anyone know if we have any step 1 data yet for our class?

I haven't seen any since that email first e-mail. The class average for the first 35 people to get their scores was 229. I'm guessing it's probably gone down a little since then, but idk.

Great advice, might do that this year. Are you going this year? I thought I would get some insight into residency programs and grab some free swag while I'm there.

Probably not, depends on when it is and what I've got going then as well as what rotation I'll be on (if it's surgery, then screw that. I'm taking advantage of all the down time I can get). I will go to it 4th year if I'm not away for an audition rotation though. Could be a good time to network with some people and just shoot the **** about different locations and find out what interviews at different locations were like.

Recommendations for how to do well in Neuro 2?

Recommendations for how to do well in Neuro 2?

Pass or possibly pass - study what he says is important
Do well - above + read his packets thoroughly
Master neuro2 - above + do all the LOs
Gunner level - read all of neuroanatomy through clinical cases by blumenfeld (amazing book btw)

Last edited:

The solid Ohio site is Doctor's Hospital in Columbus. It's another one of the 'best' rotation sites and they also have some of the stronger AOA residency programs there from what I've heard. Ohio does it's own separate "match" after the big one, and I'm pretty sure everyone picks Dr.'s as their first choice there.

Wait, 33 people in our class went unmatched? That's the highest number I've heard from any KCU class...

Doctors isn't an option anymore.

Gotta love that class avg on comlex.

Yeah after approx 220 students taking; no fails and avg 566

That's pretty great. Is the USMLE test avg still at 227 with 150ish ppl taking it?