Joint Joint Statement on the 2022 Emergency Medicine Residency Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2021Doctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Joint Statement on the 2022 Emergency Medicine Residency Match
March 23, 2022

Members don't see this ad.

"As of now, we simply cannot identify a singular cause for this year’s numbers with so many factors at play."

Really? You don't think that the jump from 14 unfilled spots to 219 unfilled spots has anything to do with the fact that compared to just 4 years ago, the current number of residency spots is now 128.2% of what it was? And that this massive proliferation of programs is the obvious cause of the recent study showing that there will be an estimated glut of 10k EM docs in another 8 years? And that medical students, for all of their faults, generally aren't idiots and can see the writing on the wall?

You don't have to be Sherlock F***ing Holmes to figure this one out.

Reactions: 16 users
"As of now, we simply cannot identify a singular cause for this year’s numbers with so many factors at play."

Really? You don't think that the jump from 14 unfilled spots to 219 unfilled spots has anything to do with the fact that compared to just 4 years ago, the current number of residency spots is now 128.2% of what it was? And that this massive proliferation of programs is the obvious cause of the recent study showing that there will be an estimated glut of 10k EM docs in another 8 years? And that medical students, for all of their faults, generally aren't idiots and can see the writing on the wall?

I think that's a bit of an overstatement, however. I think they're considering the DO programs that transitioned from the AOA match to the ACGME match as "new [to ACGME] programs." Those programs, however, were there before, they were just isolated to DO applicants. Now those programs, along with the DO applicants, are in the ACGME. So there's going to appear to be a significant jump in both applicant numbers and new programs over that period.

Members don't see this ad :)

as much as i would like to blame this reason for the open spots I truly don't think this was the reason. And trust me, i think all those BS HCA programs in Florida and all over that didn't fill should be shut down. I think it was more so due to the online interviews. It is very, very easy to schedule 5 interviews in 2 days when you don't have to travel. The competitive students were able to schedule a large number of interviews and take from the poorer candidates. Given this, the bulk of the top tier students ranked way more programs than previous years while the lower scoring students ranked less. I think this led to the open spots.

Reactions: 2 users
EM is a sinking ship... and yet there's so many people getting on board. We are beginning to see the signs of decay. On a humorous note, I see some pretentious and historically USMD-only programs being humbled into accepting DO's and IMG's. I see you Loma Linda.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
as much as i would like to blame this reason for the open spots I truly don't think this was the reason. And trust me, i think all those BS HCA programs in Florida and all over that didn't fill should be shut down. I think it was more so due to the online interviews. It is very, very easy to schedule 5 interviews in 2 days when you don't have to travel. The competitive students were able to schedule a large number of interviews and take from the poorer candidates. Given this, the bulk of the top tier students ranked way more programs than previous years while the lower scoring students ranked less. I think this led to the open spots.
Definitely an interesting point, but we were doing Zoom last year as well. I don't think that system changed very much since then.

Reactions: 1 users
There are many factors that could be affecting applicant decision-making, including the continued risks in EM posed by COVID, recently released workforce projections, challenges of non-physician scope of practice, and the uncertain impact of ongoing corporatization and consolidation in medicine.

They seemed to have identified all of the factors

then proceed to say, well, we're not sure

never learn, admin. Never learn.

Reactions: 3 users
I think that's a bit of an overstatement, however. I think they're considering the DO programs that transitioned from the AOA match to the ACGME match as "new [to ACGME] programs." Those programs, however, were there before, they were just isolated to DO applicants. Now those programs, along with the DO applicants, are in the ACGME. So there's going to appear to be a significant jump in both applicant numbers and new programs over that period.
No, this is entirely incorrect. There's been a massive increase in programs. I'm not sure how anyone can possibly still use the DO merger as an excuse. Most of the programs transitioned by 2018 with a few lagging programs in 2019. There were greater than 60 em programs and less than 40 made the transition and a few closed post merger failing probation and such. We went from 1500 spots ish I'm 2015 to now 3000 spots. Has nothing to do with the DO merger and only with inappropriate rapid (completely) new program expansion, mainly by corporations to conduct corporate antitrust violations applying forced downward pressure on EM physician salaries

Reactions: 4 users
Did other specialities go to zoom only and if so did they also have more unfilled spots than usual?

Why didn't this happen in any other specialty, then?

There are many factors that could be affecting applicant decision-making, including the continued risks in EM posed by COVID, recently released workforce projections, challenges of non-physician scope of practice, and the uncertain impact of ongoing corporatization and consolidation in medicine.

Admin: Hurrr durrr. FACTORS. Durrrrrrrrrrrr.

They know. Just embarrassing and unhelpful (to them) to speak the truth.

Reactions: 1 user
So its probably due to multiple factors but if you look at the list it seems like med students are finally starting to avoid new programs.

New Programs since 2020 are roughly 15% of all programs but made up roughly 30% of all programs that have available spots.

So its probably due to multiple factors but if you look at the list it seems like med students are finally starting to avoid new programs.

New Programs since 2020 are roughly 15% of all programs but made up roughly 30% of all programs that have available spots.
Good for the med students then. There appears to be a correlation between oversaturated states and unfilled spots.

The virtual issuses occurred with every specialty and you don’t have ortho or other specialties like pediatrics with all these unfilled spots. Yes you can interview very easily but that’s also true for the program. They could interview more people than ever before

The virtual issuses occurred with every specialty and you don’t have ortho or other specialties like pediatrics with all these unfilled spots. Yes you can interview very easily but that’s also true for the program. They could interview more people than ever before
People who believe the online drivel are the same ones who take their spouse back after they bang 10 other people and say it was a simple mistake. cognitive dissonance on full display.

• Haha