Interview Invites for PHASE II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got interview offers from VCU today and Methodist Germantown on Friday
Congrats good luck on your interview

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard back from:

-University of Southern California
-VA Portland Oregon
-Kaiser Permanente (Los angeles)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back from:

-University of Southern California
-VA Portland Oregon
-Kaiser Permanente (Los angeles)

Thanks

Just received a no from Kaiser LA. I also applied to VA portland but nothing from them. I think at this point it’s a no and either you’ll get a sorry email or silence :(

I was told a program closed it's unmatched position a week after I reached out and applied via phorcas... think I could get my money back?

I was told a program closed it's unmatched position a week after I reached out and applied via phorcas... think I could get my money back?
I think you should reach out to phorcas to get your money back. I don’t see why not

Just received a no from Kaiser LA. I also applied to VA portland but nothing from them. I think at this point it’s a no and either you’ll get a sorry email or silence :(
I’m still waiting to hear from Kaiser LA

did anyone write follow-up emails to program directors they didn't hear back from? if so, what's the best way to word that email?

did anyone write follow-up emails to program directors they didn't hear back from? if so, what's the best way to word that email?

I did for the ones I was very interested. I addressed any weak points I felt I had and how I planned on improving that that they shouldn’t hesitate to contact me if they have questions /concerns on my app and any hesitation regarding my fitness as a residency in their program.

I did for the ones I was very interested. I addressed any weak points I felt I had and how I planned on improving that that they shouldn’t hesitate to contact me if they have questions /concerns on my app and any hesitation regarding my fitness as a residency in their program.
Maybe I should have done that too lol

List updated 4/3:
  • Providence Health in Oregon (HSPA)
  • BUMCS U of Arizona
  • Swedish Covenant Hospital
  • Mount Sinai St. Luke's West
  • Detroit Medical Center
  • Denver Medical Center
  • Memorial Hermann
  • Mount Sinai Main
  • Kaiser Permanente Napa Solano
  • Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center
  • Corpus Christi Medical Center

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay just got the “it’s not you it’s us” email from Kaiser Napa... I’m going to need several drinks by the time Phase II is over ughhh
Didn't you get interviews though? or was that your first choice?

Has anyone heard from Gulf Coast Veterans Health Care Sytem in Biloxi, MS?

Rejected from a Baptist pensacola
Interviewed with Mobile Infirmary

Has anyone heard from any of these programs?
Healthfirst in NY
Washington Hospital Healthcare System CA
California Pacific Medical Center-Sutter Health

I wish it was required that you got an email back whether you are being offered an interview or not. It's not cool to be waiting to hear something

I wish it was required that you got an email back whether you are being offered an interview or not. It's not cool to be waiting to hear something
You took the words right out of my mouth

I feel like at this point, if you don't hear anything its a no :( Good luck to all of us in the Scramble!

Reactions: 1 users
Did a telephone Interview with Portland VA last Friday. I’ve heard that they got over 200 applications, so I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case with some of the other programs too.

Kadlec in WA sent rejection letter last week. Kaiser LA sent rejection letter this week. Considering these were the only programs in their respective area, I’m thinking they didn’t even get through most of the apps.

Got a rejection from Corpus Christi last night. Based on their email, they clearly weren't even trying anymore.

Here are my stats as of now:

Memorial Hermann - Interviewed
Christus - Interviewed
Kaiser LA - Denied
Banner - Denied
Corpus Christi - Denied
Medical Center Health (Odessa) - Waiting
University Health Shreveport - Waiting
Ochsner Clinic Foundation (NOLA) - Waiting

At this point I'm assuming the rest will be denials..

Got a rejection from Corpus Christi last night. Based on their email, they clearly weren't even trying anymore.

Here are my stats as of now:

Memorial Hermann - Interviewed
Christus - Interviewed
Kaiser LA - Denied
Banner - Denied
Corpus Christi - Denied
Medical Center Health (Odessa) - Waiting
University Health Shreveport - Waiting
Ochsner Clinic Foundation (NOLA) - Waiting

At this point I'm assuming the rest will be denials..

No luck with UH Shreveport. Got an email saying they finished conducting their interviews yesterday.

Good luck to everyone who actually got interviews. Hope the Match goes well for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Random question... we have to formally withdraw from the Match if we aren't ranking any problems right?

Does anyone know how many programs were still available during the scramble last year after phase 2?

I’m not sure if this is a complete number, but according to the NMS for last years match there were 1399 programs participating In the match. After phase 2, only 17 programs had unfilled positions. There are other categories to look at too. Here’s the link ASHP Match | Statistics of the Match

Does anyone know how many programs were still available during the scramble last year after phase 2?

I actually reached out to ASHP Match System after rankings went in and asked for a list of programs that moved into PhaseII/Scramble last year and they said they were unable to provide -- totally a paranoid move in that frantic waiting period. But I bet if someone copied and pasted it to a WordDoc would be your best bet.

So I never heard from those 3 programs I mentioned above. I'm pretty sure they're supposed to notify the applicants whether they were denied or not per ASHP policy. Does that mean I can get a refund for those 3 or...?

For those who ranked programs for phase 2 . Hope it went well?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how the scramble works? Do we only have today to look at programs?

This is copy pasted from their website.......

Results of Phase II of the Match are released to applicants and Program Directors.

Program Directors must send letters of agreement, no later than May 12, 2018, to matched applicants who must sign and return the letters of agreement.

The list of programs with available positions after Phase II of the Match will be provided on this web site beginning at 12:00 p.m. noon ET. No action to fill available positions, such as contacts or interviews between applicants and programs, is to be taken prior to 12:00 p.m. noon ET on April 12. Programs will be able to update information on positions available after the Match on the Match web site until May 31.

Applicants who do not obtain a position in the Match will be able to use PhORCAS to prepare applications to programs that have positions available beginning on April 12 following release of the Phase II Match results.

April 13, 2018 Beginning at 12:00 p.m. noon ET on this date, applicants who did not obtain a position in either Phase of the Match, or who did not participate in either Phase of the Match, will be able to submit applications using PhORCAS to programs with available positions.

April 19, 2018 Recommended date for programs with available positions to begin making offers to applicants.

Last edited:
FYI University of California San Diego Health is not participating even though its on the list

Is there even a point of doing PGY1in community
Honestly i feel its a waste of time and you actually lose money lol.... you can get a job in retail right out of pharmacy school ... why would i opt to make less for a year and end up in the same job.... that being said... I have a lot of friends who are doing a community residency this year... bu to each his/her own. =)

Honestly i feel its a waste of time and you actually lose money lol.... you can get a job in retail right out of pharmacy school ... why would i opt to make less for a year and end up in the same job.... that being said... I have a lot of friends who are doing a community residency this year... bu to each his/her own. =)

I personally did not choose to do a community residency but I do recognize the benefits of doing one. I think most importantly, it focuses on ambulatory care which can be done in partnership/sponsorship through a major chain company, schools, hospitals/medical centers. In comparison, it is the same idea of pharmacist doing a focused PGY1's in pediatrics, acute care, operations, psych, etc. Doing a community residency prepares you to be detailed in management of chronic disease states in outpatient settings by adjusting medications based YOUR assessment; as opposed to a community-chain that primarily focuses on a dispensing role.

Especially the way that pharmacy is evolving, our ambulatory care pharmacist are the ones that would first be able to practice "provider-status" and which is already occurring in under-served populations and VA-systems. Yes it is possible for community-chain pharmacist to bridge into ambulatory care, but it is the equivalent of finding a hospital staffing for position for a non-residency-having applicant -- the difficulty level arises.

You mentioned a "lost of money" but the question is actually how much does your quality of life and pursuit of your passion actually worth to you.

I personally did not choose to do a community residency but I do recognize the benefits of doing one. I think most importantly, it focuses on ambulatory care which can be done in partnership/sponsorship through a major chain company, schools, hospitals/medical centers. In comparison, it is the same idea of pharmacist doing a focused PGY1's in pediatrics, acute care, operations, psych, etc. Doing a community residency prepares you to be detailed in management of chronic disease states in outpatient settings by adjusting medications based YOUR assessment; as opposed to a community-chain that primarily focuses on a dispensing role.

Especially the way that pharmacy is evolving, our ambulatory care pharmacist are the ones that would first be able to practice "provider-status" and which is already occurring in under-served populations and VA-systems. Yes it is possible for community-chain pharmacist to bridge into ambulatory care, but it is the equivalent of finding a hospital staffing for position for a non-residency-having applicant -- the difficulty level arises.

You mentioned a "lost of money" but the question is actually how much does your quality of life and pursuit of your passion actually worth to you.

I was just giving my abbreviated opinion (one view) of community residency...it doesn't mean there aren't many benefits to be gained from it like you listed above. Everyone has different interests, ultimately everyone should do what makes them happy.. residency or no residency =)

Why can't they open pgy1 spots if they can't feel their pgy2 positions.:eek:

Is it even worth trying in the scramble? There are only 17 unfilled positions... what's the likelihood of programs looking at your application?

its too competitive because of 2 general PGY1 and ones thats a 2 year program

Does anybody know the application process for the scramble?

I didn't go through phase I or phase II

Does anybody know the application process for the scramble?

I didn't go through phase I or phase II
I believe it’s still through phorcas. If you look at the matching site you’ll see there isn’t much left. Good luck