How long of a break does the admissions office staff usually get for the holidays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taskmaster

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many days off do schools usually give their admissions office staff for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years? Is it safe to say that if you haven't gotten an interview invite from a school yet, it won't come until after Thanksgiving (rather than today or tomorrow)? I assume the adcoms and the person who sends out emails get a couple days to travel, go see family, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, we follow the university calendar but if the Dean of Admissions is a clinician who is accustomed to working weekends and holidays, anything goes.

That said, I think you can safely avoid checking your email on Wednesday night and Thursday this week. Enjoy the holiday! Ditto 12/24-12/25 and 12/31-1/1.

Being a researcher myself, sometimes I forget evenings, weekends, and holidays are not working days. Many Chemistry graduate school advisers do not look favorably at people who aren't willing to work on holidays.