This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nini2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am starting to study for the MCAT early on. But I am stuck on how I should study. I bought the 7 subject Kaplan books, which are amazing, but I am not sure if I should take notes on them while studying or just read through it.

So I just wanted to know how you guys studied for the MCAT which helped you guys.
(I know everyone studies and retains information differently, I just wanted to see others methods)

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

I bought the new Kaplan 2018-2019 review set. It arrives Monday. My plan is to study the best way I learn which I call Phase Studying. 1st Phase is the Subject phase which I will just go through the material in the books and highlight and annotate in the book important info based on the diagnostic exam I already took (wasn't good). I'm focusing on making connections rather than memorization.

Phase 2 (Review Phase). Here I will go through the highlights and annotations and consolidate it into a document. Serves to solidify the info and review.

phase 3 will be strategy building where I will go over exams or AAMC questikns and work through them at my own pace making sure I put emphasis on how I should approach the questions and shortcuts etc.

Last phase is just time practice exams.

Sounds like a lot and probably is over kill but this is how I usually perform the best. I should mention I plan on taking the exam in a year. Anyone have opinions?

"Success doesn't come without struggle"