Hospitals Noncompliant with Price Transparency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chartreuse Wombat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Will the government have the temerity to call out these gangsters? I doubt it

Members don't see this ad.

If you just graduated from business school with your shiny new MBA and find yourself running a hospital, why would you opt to risk compromising a huge revenue stream by revealing your price list when you could just keep it secret for a nominal fine? For the biggest over-chargers, there is no incentive to comply... I am sure that this was known when the policy was crafted.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 3 users
It’s a win for the government too. They can say they tried and collect some revenue as well.

They can’t pass a penalty large enough to force large systems into submission. I mean, you could try to pass legislation that holds quarterly or even biannual Medicare reimbursements for services rendered until compliance is demonstrated. But that would be a lot of work. There would be loopholes. You would have to deal with special interests. And you know in the end whatever makes it out probably wouldn’t have much more teeth than what you started with. Man, sitting back and collecting fines is looking pretty good right now…

Reactions: 4 users