Could I mention this gaming hobby in my app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuantumPhoton

Reaction score
When I came to the US, I didn't know much English, and I had a tough time at school adapting to the culture & language. However, I picked up a game that allowed me to learn English by simply playing and collaborating with others. Could I list this game as a hobby in my application? I still play it to this day, although not as frequently as I did back in middle/high school.

Members don't see this ad.

When I came to the US, I didn't know much English, and I had a tough time at school adapting to the culture & language. However, I picked up a game that allowed me to learn English by simply playing and collaborating with others. Could I list this game as a hobby in my application? I still play it to this day, although not as frequently as I did back in middle/high school.
You could.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think videogames are fine.

Now, I'm a dungeon master in DnD for some of my classmates, and I wonder if it will be socially acceptable for me to put that on my ERAS lol. But I think video games are mainstream enough nobody will care.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't mention it at all. Gamers are unironically discriminated against in med school interviewers. I got comments (and not necessarily positive ones) nearly every time I interviewed with my gaming chair and headphones and didn't even list it as a hobby. Only in one II did the interviewer comment positively because his kid played Fortnite lol (I did get into that school).

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I wouldn't mention it at all. Gamers are unironically discriminated against in med school interviewers. I got comments (and not necessarily positive ones) nearly every time I interviewed with my gaming chair and headphones and didn't even list it as a hobby. Only in one II did the interviewer comment positively because his kid played Fortnite lol (I did get into that school).
Agreed. Very high chance you are gonna have a couple boomer docs interviewing you who think that video games are the devil and the reason why their kids or grandkids are failing in school

Generational differences prevent some older folks from understanding why renovated student social spaces include gamer lounges. Ask students if they have esports competitions.

I might be against the majority on this, but I would say put it in. It seems it had a huge impact on you and made the person you are today.

I would not focus on the gaming part of it, but rather the impact it had on you, and what makes you want to play this until now.

I had something similar (for a different language since I grew up abroad as a 3rd culture kid), and included it. I focused on the language exchange part of it, and meeting others through it. I found some long-term friends through it who I am in touch even until now without never having met them in-person, and helped each other learn our languages.

Although no interviewer of mine commented on it (even those who had my application in front of them), but it seriously had an impact on me, and I would attribute the extroverted and confident side of my personality to this as I used to be an extremely shy kid and teenager when I did not fluently speak the language of the majority.

Reactions: 2 users