Case Western vs. Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

incomingmd11

Reaction score
I am currently PTE at Case Western but just got off of Einstein's WL and am grateful for anyone's insights!! I understand that people may be on the WL at either of these schools so I want to get this out there in the hopes that a seat can go to another deserving person!

For background, I am a NY resident and have a heavy support system in NY and PA and hope to return to either state for residency

Case Western
PROS:

• Excellent match list in competitive specialties, have no doubts that I would be able to match back to NY/PA despite many students choosing to stay in Ohio or Midwest
  • The HEC building was incredible and I can envision myself learning/studying there
  • Student community when I visited was so positive and enthusiastic and everyone I spoke to really emphasized the collaborative environment and support they got from administration
  • Lots of opportunities for research and great affiliations with Cleveland Clinic, MetroHealth, University Hospitals
  • I didn't expect to like Cleveland as much as I did--nice balance bet. urban and suburban neighborhoods
CONS:
  • No financial aid (am fortunate to have some financial support, but still would end with significant debt)
  • Far from family/friends (would need to fly or drive)
  • Need a car to get to rotations, commute if I live in the downtown area
  • 12-week required research period bet. M1/M2 (but can be done anywhere so there could be flexibility/remote possibilities)
Einstein
PROS:

• Free tuition
  • Closer to family/friends but far away enough to establish my own community
  • Good match list (heavy in NY)
  • Clinical exposure in systems that serve diverse populations which is extremely important to me
CONS:
  • Frequent exams (rotation of quiz > exam > off weeks)--uncertain if this would be too stressful for having exams more often, or better due to exams testing on less material and thus counting for less
  • All in-house, no NBME exams (supposedly changing next year but uncertain if it will be supplemental or a complete switch over)
  • Incoming changes and administration--current students expressed that while the administration is making changes for the better, there is worry that things may be rushed, feeling like a "guinea pig" class
  • Lower prestige than Case (not as important for me)

Members don't see this ad.

Einstein easily. Especially if you want to match back to NY Einstein won’t hold you back, and your support is all in NY. 300k is a lot of money, and from my perspective case is not worth it over Einstein.

Reactions: 4 users
Which school did you end up choosing? And what was your deciding factor?