AP/CP or AP only?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ludy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what all you M4s are planning on for residency: AP/CP or focusing on AP (or CP, I suupose) alone? I've heard that at the bigger names (Stanford, MGH, etc.) the majority do AP only, knowing they'll be going into an academic position. I'm assuming people going into private practice do both. I'm kind of torn... I'm not that interested in CP and I think 3 solid years of AP plus fellowship rather than 2 plus fellowship would be better preparation, but then what if I decide not to do academics? So that's the dilemma. What about you all?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm AP/CP. Never really considered AP only. Was it GP that described going into both as "having a bilingual feel"? My feeling is that there is too much overlap between AP and CP. I want to be fully aware of all that goes on (at least at some level) in all the path labs so that I can better integrate anatomical and clinical data. Molecular investigation (and informatics) is bridging the gap between the two anyway.

though, honestly, its anatomic pathology I love.

Mindy

If you knew 100% that you were going academics then AP only is fine. But, if you don't you should do both. The private practice market will be harder to get into if only AP.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great Pumpkin,

Do you need AP/CP for private practice work if you plan on doing AP and then a specialty fellowship like cytology or dermpath? I would imagine those people would not be doing much CP even in a private setting? Thanks for the advice.

Maybe it would not be an issue as a derm path doc since they are in such great demand. But, pretty much any other specialty in private practice the groups will want you to be CP certified because the group is responsible for the labs and blood bank in the hospital. Usually each doc will take a cp area to oversee. And, most don't really want to do cp so someone being hired that cannot chip in would not be thier first choice.

In academics this is not an issue.

Hope this helps.