2023-2024 Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone on Duke waitlist that is also feeling anxious? Lol

Yes, especially because I sent a letter of intent more than a month ago, but at the same time after going to 2nd look at other places, I feel less anxious about potentially not getting off the waitlist.

It feels weird to me now to be stressed about getting off the waitlist at a school that didn't choose me as their first choice (even if they are my dream school).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Yes, especially because I sent a letter of intent more than a month ago, but at the same time after going to 2nd look at other places, I feel less anxious about potentially not getting off the waitlist.

It feels weird to me now to be stressed about getting off the waitlist at a school that didn't choose me as their first choice (even if they are my dream school); It feels like I am ungrateful for the schools that did.

I know exactly how you feel! That’s literally what I’ve been struggling with as well. Since just being accepted to a medical school is such an amazing achievement but to have choices of which one to enroll is really a blessing that I shouldn’t take for granted. It’s how you said tho it’s our dream medical school so it’s kinda hard to find the balance. Hopefully we’ll both matriculate :)

I know exactly how you feel! That’s literally what I’ve been struggling with as well. Since just being accepted to a medical school is such an amazing achievement but to have choices of which one to enroll is really a blessing that I shouldn’t take for granted. It’s how you said tho it’s our dream medical school so it’s kinda hard to find the balance. Hopefully we’ll both matriculate :)

I was debating sending an recent award update but doing so now makes me feel like I am ungrateful for the schools that did choose me during the first round. While I am grateful for being waitlisted instead of straight up rejected, being somebody's 'alternate' is not a great feeling, like being asked out by your crush because their first choice turned them down.

Edit: Forgot to say that I hope you too get off the waitlist!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was debating sending an recent award update but doing so now makes me feel like I am ungrateful for the schools that did choose me during the first round. While I am grateful for being waitlisted instead of straight up rejected, being somebody's 'alternate' is not a great feeling, like being asked out by your crush because their first choice turned them down.

That last part is so real

• Care

if you get the A call i think that feeling will dissipate pretty quickly. whether or not you got in immediately or off the waitlist, everyone ended up at that program regardless. one matriculant is not more valid than the other.

Reactions: 3 users
if you get the A call i think that feeling will dissipate pretty quickly. whether or not you got in immediately or off the waitlist, everyone ended up at that program regardless. one matriculant is not more valid than the other.

I hope the feeling goes away but, continuing with the analogy, being your crush's second choice comes with the fear that your (former) backup status will manifest subconsciously in your interactions/relationship.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope the feeling goes away but, continuing with the analogy, being your crush's second choice comes with the fear that your (former) backup status will manifest subconsciously in your interactions/relationship.
you’re valid but you deserve to be kind to yourself. just even getting to this point is a huge achievement and im proud of you even if you can’t be for yourself right this second.

and at the end of the day everyone’s degree will say Duke Med. there will be no fine print saying “waitlist lol”

• Haha
Can anyone tell me how many people are in the group me now? I heard last year at this time it was around 100

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think the numbers matter until May 1st tbh. Duke could easily be in many people’s top 3 but not their number 1 at the end of the day

There are also current students in the group chat and if it's anything like the ones I'm in, there are probably 15+ current students. Some people are waiting until the last minute to drop due to the delays in financial aid.

when i sent my LOI they said they’d have more info about waitlist movement sent out closer to the deadline. has anyone heard anything or does this just mean im cooked?

when i sent my LOI they said they’d have more info about waitlist movement sent out closer to the deadline. has anyone heard anything or does this just mean im cooked?
I heard the same thing! I wouldn’t worry too much about it (I didn’t get anything yet either)

For those who got merit scholarships, was it through email?

For those who got merit scholarships, was it through email?
I did not get any but I emailed Andrea Liu on Friday asking if they had all been sent out already, and she replied today saying yes. Seemed slightly flexible that if some people offered scholarship end up going elsewhere, then that frees up funds to give to another student, but that as of now they've all been sent

Does anyone know if the WL moves today? Or is it more like within the next few days

Does anyone know if the WL moves today? Or is it more like within the next few days

Historically, they call on or after May 2. It makes sense since they probably meet the day after the deadline to finalize the first few WL offers based on who on their admit list PTE at another school.

Does anyone know what time usually they call people off the waitlist?

I'm not in the committee and can't see the future but historically calls have been made starting at 12pm EST with the portal and amcas updating a couple of hours later (at around 5pm).

giphy.gif

Hopefully

i hope it’s today but i also would not be surprised if they are delayed since they never sent updates about the waitlist as they had indicated they would.
I kind of took "we'll have more information" as "that's when we'll start letting people know." Maybe that's optimistic lol. Hoping for the best for everyone today!

I kind of took "we'll have more information" as "that's when we'll start letting people know." Maybe that's optimistic lol. Hoping for the best for everyone today!

Yeah I interpreted it more like this lol

that’s probably more accurate, i am kind of a pessimist 😭

From previous threads,

2018: Duke overenrolled, no WL movement
2019: April 30 PTE, WL As start 5/1
2020: April 30 PTE, WL As start 5/4
2021: Little movement, 2nd hand report on 5/11 about 5/1 acceptance.
2022: April 30 PTE, WL As start May 3
2023: April 30 PTE, WLs As start May 2.

For what it's worth, it seems like they usually take one business day after the PTE deadline to start WL acceptances if they don't overenroll.

I'm guessing that WLs A calls happen in the afternoon and evening because Dr. Yee (the only person who has called for WL As) has morning meetings or the admission, IT staff takes the morning to draft the admission letters, update the portal and AMCAS based on the list given to them after the adcom meeting yesterday. The admissions office people then provide Dr. Yee or whoever is calling with a list of phone numbers to call to notify admits in the afternoon. *Calling in the afternoon may also happen to be mindful of PST admits who may not want to be called at 6am.

Note: All of the above is just speculation by another anxious applicant on the WL.

Last edited:
From previous threads,

2018: Duke overenrolled, no WL movement
2019: April 30 PTE, WL As start 5/1
2020: April 30 PTE, WL As start 5/4
2021: Little movement, 2nd hand report on 5/11 about 5/1 acceptance.
2022: April 30 PTE, WL As start May 3
2023: April 30 PTE, WLs As start May 2.

For what it's worth, it seems like they usually take one business day after the PTE deadline to start WL acceptances if they don't overenroll.

I'm guessing that WLs A calls happen in the afternoon and evening because Dr. Yee (the only person who has called for WL As) has morning meetings or the admission, IT staff takes the morning to draft the admission letters, update the portal and AMCAS based on the list given to them after the adcom meeting yesterday. The admissions office people then provide Dr. Yee or whoever is calling with a list of phone numbers to call to notify admits in the afternoon.

Note: All of the above is just speculation by another anxious applicant on the WL.

Nah you did your research with this! Thank you for the info honestly

Can anyone post the admitted Groupme/Facebook numbers? --I am curious to know if a the numbers significantly changed post April 30

I heard somewhere they email folks and ask if you are still interested first, then extend As via phone call... Is this true/ has anyone got the "still interested?" communication?

I heard somewhere they email folks and ask if you are still interested first, then extend As via phone call... Is this true/ has anyone got the "still interested?" communication?

Did not see this in any of the previous threads I reviewed, but if you get that email and phone call, please report the time.

I don’t think that’s true from previous years

just mulling things over…assuming this is true and since the email i received recently (submitted LOI) said they would have more info “as we get closer to the may deadline”. it almost makes me wonder if there won’t be a ton of movement.

however if these emails are not reported in previous threads, this might not be accurate.

just mulling things over…assuming this is true and since the email i received recently (submitted LOI) said they would have more info “as we get closer to the may deadline”. it almost makes me wonder if there won’t be a ton of movement.

however if these emails are not reported in previous threads, this might not be accurate.

I'm thinking waitlist movement will probably be delayed this year due to pending financial aid packages. Some schools granted individual extensions so it might take some folks longer to drop their acceptance.

However, the fact certain toasted user in this board probably chose Duke has me concerned that Duke may have offered enough fin aid to certain applicants that would normally turn them down for other schools to make these admits choose Duke due to pending packages at other schools.

• Wow
GroupMe with committed students is at 107. Good luck to those on the WL, hope to see y'all in Durham.

And keep in mind the fin aid and merit aid processes are different. I'm pretty sure Duke covers about 60% of need for all accepted students and they've been pretty on top of everything in my experience, no delays.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm thinking waitlist movement will probably be delayed this year due to pending financial aid packages. Some schools granted individual extensions so it might take some folks longer to drop their acceptance.

However, the fact certain toasted user in this board probably chose Duke has me concerned that Duke may have offered enough fin aid to certain applicants that would normally turn them down for other schools to make these admits choose Duke due to pending packages at other schools.
As another N=1, I got a good financial aid package from Duke but I don't think they're offering more FA merit this year compared to previous years, or that FA timing from other T10 schools will be a big factor this year. At least in my experience, those heavily need-based schools tended to be the least affected by FAFSA timing since they rely on it the least. Because the vast majority of their aid calculation comes from CSS or their own institutional applications, they were able to get need-based scholarship estimates out quickly, with FAFSA only being used for federal loans (which everyone's eligible for anyways).

Last edited:
GroupMe with committed students is at 107. Good luck to those on the WL, hope to see y'all in Durham.

And keep in mind the fin aid and merit aid processes are different. I'm pretty sure Duke covers about 60% of need for all accepted students and they've been pretty on top of everything in my experience, no delays.

Are you counting current students in that number?

i wouldn’t let one sdn king stress you out that much. i hear you though.

Hmm so looks like we’ll have little to no movement then🥲
it is what it is no matter the outcome. just happy to have had the chance. in my wildest dreams i never thought id interview at a program like this. good luck to everyone wherever the matriculate.

Hmm so looks like we’ll have little to no movement then🥲
Fwiw, MSAR says they admit 30 from the waitlist on average. Plus, not everyone they admit off the WL will commit, so they'll have to admit more than the ~10 spots open rn.

Best of luck to all you guys on the WL!

Fwiw, MSAR says they admit 30 from the waitlist on average. Plus, not everyone they admit off the WL will commit, so they'll have to admit more than the ~10 spots open rn.

Oh that makes sense! Thanks for that

Damn I just got a random spam call from 919 area code they know how to make me jump

Damn I just got a random spam call from 919 area code they know how to make me jump

Did you pick up? Maybe your phone is marking a 919 personal cell phone as spam.

From admissions, emailed them today: "We are not at a point where we can take anyone from the wait list right now. We have a class, however, some of the students are still Plan to Enroll. If students change their minds or make other decisions, we will consider going to the wait list."

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
From admissions, emailed them today: "We are not at a point where we can take anyone from the wait list right now. We have a class, however, some of the students are still Plan to Enroll. If students change their minds or make other decisions, we will consider going to the wait list."

Thank you for calling🥲