2020-2021 University of Pennsylvania

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would think when decisions are released it'll be obvious - the page will be flooded with "ACCEPTED!!" or "waitlisted ;_;"

Reactions: 2 users
sooo guess its looking like tomorrow? (they started calling around 9/10AM est last year)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
so I was rejected by my top choice today post-II and now I have picked Penn as my new top choice.. would sending on LOIntent have any effect on my outcome given decisions are coming out any day now lol

so I was rejected by my top choice today post-II and now I have picked Penn as my new top choice.. would sending on LOIntent have any effect on my outcome given decisions are coming out any day now lol
i would think that decisions have been finalized and its prob best to wait until you get a WL decision for it to have more of an impact!

Reactions: 1 user
i would think that decisions have been finalized and its prob best to wait until you get a WL decision for it to have more of an impact!
ok thanks for the advice! appreciate it

• Love
bored employee of the month GIF

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Just got the A call from my faculty interviewer (initials NB)!! Good luck everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Jinked myself I guess? JUST GOT THE CALL. Faculty Interviewer is NB

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If a select few people are getting calls now does that mean the official decisions would likely be released tomorrow?

Based on 2019-2020 SDN, everything pretty much happened within a few hours on the same day I think

I think they call all the As on the same day and send Rs/WLs the next day.

Given that I see you on the MD/PhD forums, I'm guessing you are waiting on the MSTP like me. Do you know if the MSTP calls went out on the same day as the MD in the past?

HAHA nice intuition. Once again going off of the '19-20 one, someone got an email for MSTP and found out that way in the morning. No mention of a call tbh

So it seems like decisions for MSTP would only go out tomorrow, is that right?

I am straight up ~not having a good time~

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
i feel like throwing up from the anxiety ;LAJSFLJASDLFJASFD;JADL help

Reactions: 1 users
It is kinda weird that the calls are starting so late this year. Last year it started before 10am and ended at around 3-4pm.

I am re-watching Kitchen nightmares on half of my screen and refreshing SDN and my applicant portal every five seconds on the other half of my screen lolz...
same but the one half of my screen is ~virtual chem lab~

• Haha
just for everyone's sanity -- it looks like only one interviewer (at least from SDN stats) has made phone calls -- no stress yet!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
just for everyone's sanity -- it looks like only one interviewer (at least from SDN stats) has made phone calls -- no stress yet!
Nice try trying to make me relax- it won't work!

Btw if anyone gets a call from interviewer VA, please tell me so I know when to start drinking.

• Haha
Due to the (11) overenrolled MSTPers last year, it might be argubaly difficult year for MSTP applicants.
Maybe they’ll just match their enrollment? So if they usually accept 20 in hopes of 10 going (just a random figure), maybe they’ll accept 10-12 this year to make up for it?

Is it possible calls were supposed to come out tomorrow but one interviewer just made the mistake of calling early?? Seems strange that no one else on sdn has heard

Reactions: 5 users
Im literally crying - if anyone hears from interviewer MM please? let me know so I can cry harder?

• Care
Is it possible calls were supposed to come out tomorrow but one interviewer just made the mistake of calling early?? Seems strange that no one else on sdn has heard
that would be such a genius move - they had just successfully extended our living hell time for an obnoxiously extra 24 hours

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Bruh I should ~not~ have checked SDN lol

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
Lol this was my thought and I can just imagine the admissions office being like 🤦‍♀️🤦🤦‍♂️

• Haha
To anyone that's been accepted, has the portal changed?

At the same time, more people applied to more places and are holding more A's, so they may have to give a few more acceptances than usual. So, in the end, it may be similar in difficulty to every other year.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm not totally sure that this calculus applies to top-5 ranked schools like Penn. In that, for most applicants, there are presumably less than a handful of schools that they would choose to attend over Penn, and it's not like an applicant would have chosen not to apply to those schools in an application cycle without COVID. I think yield should be similar this year compared to other years.

Well, if yield jumped from ~50% to 72% for penn last year, presumably, the extra 11 people that enrolled would have likely had similar offers from other top 5-10. Which means yield probably dropped at some other schools that are penn caliber. So, I agree it isn't likely but yield may be different this year again. In the end, I do agree with you thought that the yield should be similar this year compared to other years. My point is that they will send less A's upfront (so i am bearing bad news as well - they will give out less A's than usual) but may end up giving more at the end if they can't fill all spots, bringing yield back up to same level as every other year.
They could also pull a hopkins and have a class of 18 one year, then a class of 6 the next... eep

Well, if yield jumped from ~50% to 72% for penn last year, presumably, the extra 11 people that enrolled would have likely had similar offers from other top 5-10. Which means yield probably dropped at some other schools that are penn caliber. So, I agree it isn't likely but yield may be different this year again. In the end, I do agree with you thought that the yield should be similar this year compared to other years. My point is that they will send less A's upfront (so i am bearing bad news as well - they will give out less A's initially than usual) but may end up giving more at the end if they can't fill all the spots, bringing yield back up to same level as every other year.
Yeah I agree, best of luck to you!

Hmm I am happy for Dr. NB’s interviewees but given the circumstances I’m gonna go ahead and call this a fluke. 😂 See y’all tomorrow 😘😘

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Do we expect that tomorrow they will still be giving out As or just Rs/WL? I’m just so confused

Do we expect that tomorrow they will still be giving out As or just Rs/WL? I’m just so confused
From what others are saying, it appears that phone calls for As will go out tomorrow morning. What likely happened was that faculty interviewers were given the list of As this afternoon to call tomorrow. However, NB made calls this afternoon. Just speculation though!

From what others are saying, it appears that phone calls for As will go out tomorrow morning. What likely happened was that faculty interviewers were given the list of As this afternoon to call tomorrow. However, NB made calls this afternoon. Just speculation though!
but another person got a call from a different person?

For Rs/WL - last year they updated the portal on the same day. Unless they've made major changes to how they do this, we should be able to log on to the portal sometime tomorrow afternoon and see a decision

Yeah this definitely seems like the case. Like, only two people have posted here that they got As versus the flood of posts I would expect if they were admitting the whole class today. So... good luck tomorrow everyone!

For Rs/WL - last year they updated the portal on the same day. Unless they've made major changes to how they do this, we should be able to log on to the portal sometime tomorrow afternoon and see a decision
Last year Rs and WLs went out the day after the acceptances went out i think?

is that just through the portal?
Yes!
As far as I remember,I think Rs and Waitlists were updated on the portal the same day people with As received phone calls... (I think we got an email the day after though)

Last edited: