07 Ranking of DS Based on Interview/Acceptance Ratio.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So is LA on the chart LSU?

Members don't see this ad.

i had an interview for NYU last month and im from Ohio.
does this mean im pretty much in?
(they interviewed about 400 and accepted more than that for out of state? am i reading this wrong?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, to reply to one of the posts about how getting an interview in Texas means nothing...for out of staters, practically. Texas requires, as with many other states, that 90% of its applicants come from the state of Texas. That's cool for me and everyone else here in state, but for everyone else, it kinda sucks. UT Houston and Baylor have a lot of out of state interviews, but accept very few. Rightfully so, as there are a lot of in state interviews.

In addition, we are ranked 39th (latest stat) in the ability of people to access dental care out of all the states. We need dentists to stay here and practice in the rural areas. Most of our dentists live in the cities anyways where there is more money to be made. In Houston suburbs and Austin/Roundrock, there is a dentist on every corner (almost literally!).

This data should really help people who live out of state make a decision on whether they should come to Texas or not for an interview. I'll go ahead and tell you: unless you have great stats (3.9 and above, 21 DAT) I wouldn't spend the money for a plane ride and hotel stay for a measly 9 POSSIBLE out of state spots at each school. Nine is approximately the number of seats available to out of staters (10% of ~90 seats)

Last edited:
Oh, and Doc, are you a statistics major? I swear, almost every post you make has something to do with admissions stats, ratios, or other admissions comparisons?

Not that this is a bad thing, it's actually really good.

Keep up the good work.

I'm not sure if I'm reading the table right.

I take it UT stands for University of TN - Memphis and not TX. If that's the case, for in-state....does it mean that out of the 100 students interviewed, 58 are accepted?

So I'd have about a 55-60% chance of being accepted for the 2009 class if I get an interview?

I love it. What does it say about a school when they have to accept 2-3 times the size of the class in order to fill it? NYU is one. They had close to 400 accepted applicants who said "nuh-uh."

I think it says nobody enjoys the cost of living in NYC or the tuition at NYU. Those people that said no were probably competitive applicants that had at least one other choice for a school to attend.

I love it. What does it say about a school when they have to accept 2-3 times the size of the class in order to fill it? NYU is one. They had close to 400 accepted applicants who said "nuh-uh."

I'm not sure if I'm reading the table right.
I take it UT stands for University of TN - Memphis and not TX. If that's the case, for in-state....does it mean that out of the 100 students interviewed, 58 are accepted?
So I'd have about a 55-60% chance of being accepted for the 2009 class if I get an interview?

UT=Tenn (TX: UTSA, UTHOU, Baylor). Your conclusions are correct.

So now that we are approaching the end of the cycle for those individuals who have interviewed have your results been in line with these stats? Specifically those that interviewed at NYU, UOP, UCLA, LSU... did the interview result in an acceptance letter?

So what about Maryland, what does that mean? They interview 199 people in total? Anyone know the other stats?

So these are from the entering class of 07 or 08? Can anybody with the most recent ADA guide comment on if statistics have changed much? I know that some schools occasionaly completely refurbish their admissions policies, i.e. Louisville adding OOS seats this year (Before you jump on my ass with your exasperated intellect, yes, i realize those statistics will not yet be available.)

So these are from the entering class of 07 or 08? Can anybody with the most recent ADA guide comment on if statistics have changed much? I know that some schools occasionaly completely refurbish their admissions policies, i.e. Louisville adding OOS seats this year (Before you jump on my ass with your exasperated intellect, yes, i realize those statistics will not yet be available.)
Haha, I would like to see some up to date statistics as well. I believe the statistics on this thread are for the entering class of Fall 2008. But that's a good question

Yeah, to reply to one of the posts about how getting an interview in Texas means nothing...for out of staters, practically. Texas requires, as with many other states, that 90% of its applicants come from the state of Texas. That's cool for me and everyone else here in state, but for everyone else, it kinda sucks. UT Houston and Baylor have a lot of out of state interviews, but accept very few. Rightfully so, as there are a lot of in state interviews.

This data should really help people who live out of state make a decision on whether they should come to Texas or not for an interview. I'll go ahead and tell you: unless you have great stats (3.9 and above, 21 DAT) I wouldn't spend the money for a plane ride and hotel stay for a measly 9 POSSIBLE out of state spots at each school. Nine is approximately the number of seats available to out of staters (10% of ~90 seats)

I don't know about UTHSCSA or Houston, but for Baylor that just isn't true.

They interview about 20 for 10 spots. The hard part for OOS applicants is getting an interview.

back in 2008, ADEA posted # of accepted? I have the 2009 guide and it only shows me the # enrolled.

I don't know about UTHSCSA or Houston, but for Baylor that just isn't true.

They interview about 20 for 10 spots. The hard part for OOS applicants is getting an interview.
I can tell you about Houston - they interviewed several students last year but we only have one OOS in our class. That is 1 out of 84....

Can someone send me the link to the most recent version of the interview/acceptance ratio? I just received an invite to UPenn and I'm not sure if I should go b/c the flight is 300 bucks.