NBC Nightly News - UCF Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mike7704

Undergrad
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In ~5 minutes NBC Nightly News is doing a report on a new medical school offering free tuition for incoming freshman. I am only assuming that it is UCF medical school. If you hurry up you may be able to check it out.

Members don't see this ad.

To late you already missed it. It was pretty good, they have over 4,000 applications for only 40 spots, ratio lower than Harvard. It also gave pre-meds a good, although limited, look behind the scenes of a typical interview day.

To late you already missed it. It was pretty good, they have over 4,000 applications for only 40 spots, ratio lower than Harvard. It also gave pre-meds a good, although limited, look behind the scenes of a typical interview day.

Did I?

Members don't see this ad :)
Some guy on there said "MedCAT"

I want to meet this guy with the perfect medcat

I wonder if UC Riverside will do this when they open their medical school? Probably not seeing as all UC medical schools are ranked in the top 50.

Just curious how many med school require full suit everyday?? or was that interview?

lol nvm i guess they are interviewing

Last edited:
Is it just me or did they all look like they were attending a funeral with all those black suits?

I noticed that too. "The first person we accepted had a perfect 4.0 GPA and a perfect MedCAT"

Most likely some student from MIT, Stanford, or Harvard.

Edit: Must be enjoy full coming from a smart family. Me, I'm from an average family that had a dream of becoming a doctor but I just may not make it because of how expensive school is.

UCF has a very impressive program. Won't take long to be the best in the state.

UCF has a very impressive program. Won't take long to be the best in the state.

With free tuition, it will become the hardest medical school in the country to get into.

Here is a glimpse of the UCF Medical School.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgEVGJPupAc[/YOUTUBE]

Members don't see this ad :)
are they doing free tuition forever or just until they are accredited?

Not sure how long, but I've heard they intend on doing this for the next class also.

are they doing free tuition forever or just until they are accredited?

The funds are public donations. With the way the economy is right now, no way can they sustain enough money to provide free tuition for years on end.

I just saw this, and I assume the admission req's will be tremendous for this school (perfect GPA and MCAT!?).

A slight tangent, but with the decline in our economy, and with more people being less able to afford going to or even applying to med schools, is there less competition in applying to med school now, in theory?

you could say the same about the med school in scranton, PA
I though that they where only giving scholarships out because mschools don't qualify for financial aid until they become fully accredited.

I just saw this, and I assume the admission req's will be tremendous for this school (perfect GPA and MCAT!?).

A slight tangent, but with the decline in our economy, and with more people being less able to afford going to or even applying to med schools, is there less competition in applying to med school now, in theory?

I think I heard somewhere that applications to med school tend to increase in a recession. (People choosing to stay in school because jobs are scarce or maybe it's because a career in medicine is seen as more stable?)

I think I heard somewhere that applications to med school tend to increase in a recession. (People choosing to stay in school because jobs are scarce or maybe it's because a career in medicine is seen as more stable?)

I read that applications are down this year.

Well the issue is a lack of money, so where would a lot these people get the extra money?
In theory, shoudln't this be the BEST time to apply for med schools (assuming u can afford it)?

Well the issue is a lack of money, so where would a lot these people get the extra money?
In theory, shoudln't this be the BEST time to apply for med schools (assuming u can afford it)?

My guess is people will apply to less schools but I'm not so sure about less people applying to med school in general as a result of not being able to afford med school. I was under the assumption that noone could afford med school so most people take out loans.

Not really, if you have just been laid off and you have no job prospects you are going to go back to school. As for people not having the money for med school, no one has the money for med school nearly everyone takes out loans.

Not really, if you have just been laid off and you have no job prospects you are going to go back to school. As for people not having the money for med school, no one has the money for med school nearly everyone takes out loans.

But wouldn't that take a least a year or two. I think this application cycle that is almost coming to a close and possibly next cycle would be the best time.

But wouldn't that take a least a year or two. I think this application cycle that is almost coming to a close and possibly next cycle would be the best time.
Yeah I would guess the next few cycles will have a higher amount of applicants.

1992 the economy was bad, applications jumped by 5,000 the next year and then by and additional 4,000 over then next 3 years.
2001 the economy was bad after 9/11 applications went down the next year, and then increased by about 2,000 a year until peaking in 2007

Last edited:

Last edited:
I though that they where only giving scholarships out because mschools don't qualify for financial aid until they become fully accredited.

You are right...I am sure FIU is considering the same thing...but don't quote me on that

I agree w/ previous posters about UCF's new school. Believe me, I have nothing against UCF especially since I am an alumni.
Pres. Hitt's comment that the applicant had "a perfect medcat" is just plain ignorant and he should know better being the pres. of a major state university. He just embarassed the school on national television.
Prev. poster was right on about the "free tuition", since they are not accreditied and won't be for 3-4 years the students don't qualify for financial aid, and unless they are independently wealthy millionaires, they couldn't pay their tuition.
I find it a little extreme for a school to be going off claiming what a prestigous institution they are before they have even held one single class.
I would also be wary of being in the inagural class. I am sure they will become accredited in a timely fashion, but what if there is a hiccup and they are not? Their "MD" would be essentially worthless as they would not be able to apply for residencies or licenses.
Similar situation occured in Orlando recently with one of the "highway roadside" law schools. People went for all three years, borrowed tons of money and the school coudn't get accredited. Their graduates had worthless J.D.'s and most were working as legal secretaries trying to pay off their loans while contemplating starting law school all over again somewhere else....
If I am wrong about this, please comment as I am certainly no expert.

I agree w/ previous posters about UCF's new school. Believe me, I have nothing against UCF especially since I am an alumni.
Pres. Hitt's comment that the applicant had "a perfect medcat" is just plain ignorant and he should know better being the pres. of a major state university. He just embarassed the school on national television.
Prev. poster was right on about the "free tuition", since they are not accreditied and won't be for 3-4 years the students don't qualify for financial aid, and unless they are independently wealthy millionaires, they couldn't pay their tuition.
I find it a little extreme for a school to be going off claiming what a prestigous institution they are before they have even held one single class.
I would also be wary of being in the inagural class. I am sure they will become accredited in a timely fashion, but what if there is a hiccup and they are not? Their "MD" would be essentially worthless as they would not be able to apply for residencies or licenses.
Similar situation occured in Orlando recently with one of the "highway roadside" law schools. People went for all three years, borrowed tons of money and the school coudn't get accredited. Their graduates had worthless J.D.'s and most were working as legal secretaries trying to pay off their loans while contemplating starting law school all over again somewhere else....

I'm no expert either, but I'm sure you are right about the first class graduating before they get fully accredited. At least they wouldn't leave with a mortgage size loan after they would be done with school.

How does one get a job where they go to these medical schools to check for accreditation standards? That would be an interesting job to have.

That part is not right. They have prelim accreditation. It is the same thing as normal accreditation, but it is just they don't reach the fully accredited status until they graduate the first class. They wouldn't let the school lose its accreditation. It is very difficult to do. If they got this far then you can rest assured they will be fine. Their graduates will never have worthless degrees. I've been told that if a school loses its accreditation then the students get shipped off to other schools to finish off their education. This is only what I heard and have not actively sought out information to verify.

I interviewed at FIU and they were telling us that they just have certain things that have to be done within a time period and what not. Graduating with a "worthless" degree is the last thing I'd worry about. This isn't some haphazard offshore school. They do seem pretty pretentious though. I know one girl that interviewed there that was far from perfect in anything and was one of the biggest cheaters on the planet, but she wound up at a different school.

So the school they are interviewing for is not built yet? Would this be a CO 2013 class?

I'm no expert either, but I'm sure you are right about the first class graduating before they get fully accredited. At least they wouldn't leave with a mortgage size loan after they would be done with school.

How does one get a job where they go to these medical schools to check for accreditation standards? That would be an interesting job to have.

http://www.lcme.org/

I was talking to a medical student who was telling me about a school that was offing free tuition, (maybe it was this school?), and they also told me that the tuition is free because they have this program where the students meet up and study/review in groups and basically have to teach themselves the material. So since there are not as much costs involved with highly qualified professors they can offer the free tution.

I'm not sure if this is even true or not, but if it is then good luck to those medical students.

UCF told us to apply for FAFSA....so I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

So the school they are interviewing for is not built yet? Would this be a CO 2013 class?

http://med.ucf.edu/about/campus/index.asp

They're currently building a new medical area complex down near Lake Nona. But UCF already has their well established campus and there may already be some facilities ready to go in the fall for the first class.

I don't think anyone is going to have to worry about accreditation. The have the prelim. accreditation and I think that a med school can't technically receive full until they graduate their first class.

The guy in the video who said "medcat" is John Hitt, UCF's president. I could care less if he called it "medcat" or not.

It will interesting to see that program grow over the next few years. I think they have a lot going for them there.

I was talking to a medical student who was telling me about a school that was offing free tuition, (maybe it was this school?), and they also told me that the tuition is free because they have this program where the students meet up and study/review in groups and basically have to teach themselves the material. So since there are not as much costs involved with highly qualified professors they can offer the free tution.

I'm not sure if this is even true or not, but if it is then good luck to those medical students.

You are thinking of Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine. UCF will not be anything like that.

Last edited:
why all the hate for "medcat"? i've seen numerous (mostly older) people, well versed in admissions circles, call it that. it may have gone the way of money clips and suspenders, but it's hardly embarrassing. :confused:

Please name me the last public university that didn't get their Allopathic medical school accredited after receiving preliminary accreditation. UCF is taking the right steps by getting great faculty on board, as well as formulating relationships with MD Anderson, VA, Nemours Children Hospital, etc. I have no doubt they will be a prestigious medical school, no where did they say they already are a prestigious medical school. With UCF academics and resources and their "medical city" being built, applicants should flock to this school.

why all the hate for "medcat"? i've seen numerous (mostly older) people, well versed in admissions circles, call it that. it may have gone the way of money clips and suspenders, but it's hardly embarrassing. :confused:

MCAT = Medical College Admission Test

Nothing wrong with saying MedCAT instead of MCAT. Just a different way of saying a common acronym.

Most likely some student from MIT, Stanford, or Harvard.

Anyone with a 4.0 from MIT deserves to go to medical school for free. I know freaking brilliant people who went there and graduated with 3.1s and were happy with them....rough place.

It sounds like you're describing Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, but that's not the reason at all that it's free.

"The 32 students entering the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine at Case Western Reserve University later this year will be given the gift of a tuition-free education.

The Cleveland Clinic, through its endowment and hospital operations, will pay the $43,500 tuition bill to Case, with which the program is affiliated. And more scholarship aide will be given to current students.

"Too much student debt has the potential to hinder their academic careers," said Dr. Andrew Fishleder, Executive Dean of the Lerner College of Medicine. "Debt has become problem."

Fishleder said students graduating from private medical schools have an average debt of about $160,000.

The aim is to free students from the feeling that they have to choose high-paying specialties to pay off the debt, rather than going into academic and research oriented medicine, toward which the Clinic program is geared."

I realize it's a commercial, but they still seemed a bit full of themselves :laugh:
They are....Dean german said "will we be like harvard? No, we will be better since we were started in the 21st century."

Last edited:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1lgbVV8FiU[/youtube]

They are....Dean german said "will we be like harvard? No, we will be better since we were started in the 21st century."
I think that every school wants to think that they're better than Harvard...actually, I think that every school wants to believe that their school is unique and special and therefore is the best and thus better than every other school, including Harvard. It's still an awesome quote though lol.

I think that every school wants to think that they're better than Harvard...actually, I think that every school wants to believe that their school is unique and special and therefore is the best and thus better than every other school, including Harvard. It's still an awesome quote though lol.
Yeah, I suppose, but I dont hear many people actually coming out and saying that...especially not someone who went to harvard med on a full scholarship.

I mean, I am pretty confident UCF will be a great medical school in the future, possibly even a top medical school, but to say they will be the best is a little ridiculous especially since they havent even held there first class yet.

Great aspirations never hurt anyone.