DO/MD Residency/Match list questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharm21

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have several questions out there for the current DO's in osteopathic medical school.

1) Once you start DO school, how does it work, like I heard, still learning about everything, so bear with me, that students learn all the medical stuff years 1 and 2 and then do rotations for last 2 years? Are the rotations in surrounding hospitals or can you do rotations in your home state?

2) Then after 4 years of DO school, what's the benefits of doing a fellowship after a 3-5 year residency? Wouldn't most people just want to go to work and start paying off the debt or does fellowships/internships/specializations offer advantages, and do many do them or they just start working at hospital/private practice?

3) Which schools have good residency placements/match systems, like any stats anywhere I can find because I got into NOVA-COM and PCOM, and like the FL atmosphere but PCOM I hear is great with placements?

4) I hear DO's can do MD residencies, something about COMLEX and USMLE? How does that work and can DO's really get into MD residency programs, I heard hospitals don't like that, when DO's are equivalent to MD's.

5) Which do you suggest I attend and why? PCOM or NOVA (Nova is less expensive, better location, but PCOM has history and rep of good placements)

thanks for helping me out, I am still learning, so please no angry backlashes...

Members don't see this ad.

I have several questions out there for the current DO's in osteopathic medical school.

1) Once you start DO school, how does it work, like I heard, still learning about everything, so bear with me, that students learn all the medical stuff years 1 and 2 and then do rotations for last 2 years? Are the rotations in surrounding hospitals or can you do rotations in your home state?

2) Then after 4 years of DO school, what's the benefits of doing a fellowship after a 3-5 year residency? Wouldn't most people just want to go to work and start paying off the debt or does fellowships/internships/specializations offer advantages, and do many do them or they just start working at hospital/private practice?

3) Which schools have good residency placements/match systems, like any stats anywhere I can find because I got into NOVA-COM and PCOM, and like the FL atmosphere but PCOM I hear is great with placements?

4) I hear DO's can do MD residencies, something about COMLEX and USMLE? How does that work and can DO's really get into MD residency programs, I heard hospitals don't like that, when DO's are equivalent to MD's.

5) Which do you suggest I attend and why? PCOM or NOVA (Nova is less expensive, better location, but PCOM has history and rep of good placements)

thanks for helping me out, I am still learning, so please no angry backlashes...

:laugh: @ bold

Quick answers to:
1) works the same as MD schools- although you may move around more during years 3 and 4 for DO school clinical years.
4) Yes, you have to take the COMLEX (the DO boards). You may take the USMLE if you want to apply to MD residencies (there are some MD residencies that accept COMLEX scores).

P.S. do a search- lots of info is available, and I think this belongs in pre-osteo. Good luck!

Please be advised that the osteopathic forum is a forum to discuss issues facing osteopathic medical students..

Moving this thread to the pre-osteo forum. (and yes, there are osteopathic students and even residents who visit pre-osteo forum and answer questions).

Members don't see this ad :)
To the OP:

This is not a flame. I just wanted to encourage you to spend some time searching this website and/or google for all your answers. Search function is towards the upper right of the page.

1) See above

2) You cannot do some specialties without a fellowship. For instance Cardiology, GI, pulmonology are all fellowships where you do IM as a residency and then you do a fellowship in Cards or GI or pulm or whatever.

4) More than half of DOs opt for ACGME residencies (MD). MDs take USMLE. DOs must take COMLEX but many DOs also opt to take the USMLE if they are applying to MD residencies.

3 and 5) do a search.

1) It depends on the school, but you will always have electives to do wherever you want.

2) For some specialties, fellowships equal more money (i.e. cardiology, neurosurgery, etc.) For other specialties, you only get more education, but nor raise (i.e. toxicology.)

3) The school you attend is independent of how well you match. You can find people matching in competitive programs from all schools.

4) DO's can do MD residencies, but not vice-versa. Hospitals don't care.

5) Choose based on lower cost and better location. Placement and history are useless for you personally.

I'm confused, if you go to do med school but do md residency does that still make you a do

I'm confused, if you go to do med school but do md residency does that still make you a do

No, you become and MDO...which is a great option for many students that want the opportunity to practice both forms of medicine.

no, you're either a MOD or a DOM