So how similar is the actual test to aamc 8

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mp07d

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Test 8 was freaking hard as dookie. I did well on it, but regardless it was the hardest aamc by far ( well, at least to me.) Most people say that test 8 strongly resembles the actual test in level of difficulty....is that generally true? I know every test is different, but on average,which out of the later aamcs give you at least the general feel in similarity to the actual test. Or are none of them the same?

I can't wait to be done with this crap :boom:

Members don't see this ad.

Test 8 was freaking hard as dookie. I did well on it, but regardless it was the hardest aamc by far ( well, at least to me.) Most people say that test 8 strongly resembles the actual test in level of difficulty....is that generally true? I know every test is different, but on average,which out of the later aamcs give you at least the general feel in similarity to the actual test. Or are none of them the same?

I can't wait to be done with this crap :boom:

I thought AAMC 9 was harder, but I did even better than on #8. I 'm wondering the same thing. Hopefully they are similar. I hear that AAMC 7,8,9, and 10 most closely predict your actual Mcat score. Again, hopefully that's true.

not to scare you...but its not similar. i just took the test yesterday and was scoring 13;s on PS and BS sections on AAMC practice tests and the real thing blew me away. the practices are wayyyyy to straight forward. the discrete questions and passages require A LOTTTT more time and thinking. You might not even know the topic you are being tested on at times. I would give you further advice on how to prepare but I am out of options myself.

not to scare you...but its not similar. i just took the test yesterday and was scoring 13;s on PS and BS sections on AAMC practice tests and the real thing blew me away. the practices are wayyyyy to straight forward. the discrete questions and passages require A LOTTTT more time and thinking. You might not even know the topic you are being tested on at times. I would give you further advice on how to prepare but I am out of options myself.

I'm not quite sure I understand this. This is from the AAMC website (http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/ptfaqs.htm):

Are the Practice Tests as hard as the real MCAT exam?

They are real MCAT exams! The items comprising these tests were pulled from the same item pool that is used to create the current MCAT. Any perceived differences in difficulty between these MCAT Practice Tests reflects normally occurring variations across tests. Any perceived differences in difficulty between these MCAT Practice Tests reflects normally occurring variations across tests. It's important to note that the conditions under which you take the practice tests may be simulated but not perfectly matched-your level of preparation, anxiety, how you feel that the testing environment on test day may influence your scores. So differences between your practice test scores and real scores are not common.

Is the real thing that much more difficult? Is AAMC lying to me (ha)?

Members don't see this ad :)

Perhaps you were nervous and/or these were your weaknesses. Also, you don't know your scores yet, so it might just be that your over thinking the difficulty of it.

I'm not quite sure I understand this. This is from the AAMC website (http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/ptfaqs.htm):

Is the real thing that much more difficult? Is AAMC lying to me (ha)?

The actual test was (shockingly) similar to the AAMC practices. I would say that the bio section was more inferential, and that the added difficulty of a *possible* experimental passage really came out of left field.

The test will have difficult passages, and probably 1-2 that seem ridiculously difficult compared to the practices. The AAMC is just trying to rattle the test-takers. Some handle it well and score above their average practice score... Some handle it poorly and score below their average practice score.

I remember reading all these threads before my test and wondering the same question, here's my thought after the test: its nothing like any of the practice tests I took. granted it is more similiar to the later ones, but its still WAY harder and more complex.